Macmillan Readers...Pre-Intermediate (4)

  • Smith Ken
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
      Dear List,

      I know Macmillan has been redesigning covers of the
      bought Heinemann Guided Readers, but can anyone tell
      me if there is a Pre-Intermediate (4) Level for the
      new Macmillan Readers? Their brochures and website
      seem to suggest not, but on new Macmillan Readers
      books recently purchased here in Taiwan, they still
      indicate a six level system including Pre-Intermediate
      (4).

      Any information would be appreciated.

      Ken Smith
      Kaohsiung, Taiwan

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Rob Waring
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
        hI

        I have the UK list here. It says 5 levels
        Starter
        Beginner
        Elementary
        Intermediate
        Upper intermediate

        So I suppose level 4 is Intermediate not the pre-int you were asking about.

        At 10:32 PM 2/2/2006, Smith Ken wrote:
        Dear List,

        I know Macmillan has been redesigning covers of the
        bought Heinemann Guided Readers, but can anyone tell
        me if there is a Pre-Intermediate (4) Level for the
        new Macmillan Readers? Their brochures and website
        seem to suggest not, but on new Macmillan Readers
        books recently purchased here in Taiwan, they still
        indicate a six level system including Pre-Intermediate
        (4).

        Any information would be appreciated.

        Ken Smith
        Kaohsiung, Taiwan

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Secondary school education Graduate school education Home school education
        Graduate school education online High school education Middle school education

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Cheers

        Rob
        waring_robert@...

      • Tina Ferrato
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
          Hello Ken, Rob and others,

          I know from Robert Habbick at Macmillan in Japan that they plan to have
          a Pre-Intermediate level ready soon... In fact, the 2006 Macmillan Languagehouse
          ELT Catalogue states: "Look out for new Pre-intermediate level books coming
          soon!"
          You may want to check out their website: www.macmillanenglish.com/readers

          Best,
          Tina
        • Julian Bamford
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
            Ken,
            Heinemann Guided Readers had five levels, including a more recently
            added Starter level. So the new Macmillan Readers purchased in Taiwan
            indicate the new 6-level scheme that Tina talked about in her earlier
            posting.

            And everyone,
            Is anyone else puzzled as to why Macmillan are adding a
            Pre-Intermediate level? The old levels seemed to move smoothly into
            each other; indeed, David Hill and Helen Reid Thomas (Survey Review
            Part II, ELTJ Vol 42, No. 2, April 1988) talk of using the four
            Heinemann levels (Beginner, Elementary, Intermediate, Upper) as the
            benchmark standards against which to estimate the levels of books from
            other series. If EPER saw no need to insert a level midway between
            Heinemann/Macmillan Elementary and Intermediate, I wonder why Macmillan
            do now. I guess all will become clear when we see the new books
            themselves.

            If anything, I thought there was a gap between Heinemann/Macmillan
            Beginner and Elementary levels. The publisher recently--cleverly if
            confusingly--plugged it with some longer Beginner titles (like "The
            Adventures of Tom Sawyer"), which make for a harder reading task than
            other Beginner titles (like "The Garden").

            Julian
          • EPER Enquiries
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2006
              Julian and all

              I too am baffled by the Macmillan grading.

              I think the gap between beginner (EPER F) and elementary (D) is plugged to
              some extent by the longer rewrites at beginner level and I call them MR2L
              (for long) and put them at E.

              There is a problem with the intermediate level. I have always put them at
              C, but found that some of them are longer and more difficult, have called
              them MR4L and put them at B. But all the interemdiates are beginning to
              look more difficulkt than OBL3, CER3 and PR3 which are at C. I am beginning
              to think that the intermediates should be at B, the longer ones at A and the
              Upper level at X. If this is what Macmillan are thinking, then they do need
              a new level to match EPER C.

              The outcome will I hope become plain as I write the next survey review for
              the ELTJ due for the end of the year.

              Has anyone heard if Macmillan are going to make titles with CDs available
              without CDs?

              Best wishes

              David EPER

              > Heinemann Guided Readers had five levels, including a more recently
              > added Starter level. So the new Macmillan Readers purchased in Taiwan
              > indicate the new 6-level scheme that Tina talked about in her earlier
              > posting.
              >
              > And everyone,
              > Is anyone else puzzled as to why Macmillan are adding a
              > Pre-Intermediate level? The old levels seemed to move smoothly into
              > each other; indeed, David Hill and Helen Reid Thomas (Survey Review
              > Part II, ELTJ Vol 42, No. 2, April 1988) talk of using the four
              > Heinemann levels (Beginner, Elementary, Intermediate, Upper) as the
              > benchmark standards against which to estimate the levels of books from
              > other series. If EPER saw no need to insert a level midway between
              > Heinemann/Macmillan Elementary and Intermediate, I wonder why Macmillan
              > do now. I guess all will become clear when we see the new books
              > themselves.
              >
              > If anything, I thought there was a gap between Heinemann/Macmillan
              > Beginner and Elementary levels. The publisher recently--cleverly if
              > confusingly--plugged it with some longer Beginner titles (like "The
              > Adventures of Tom Sawyer"), which make for a harder reading task than
              > other Beginner titles (like "The Garden").
              >
              > Julian
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Fiona
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2006
                Hi,
                I'm newish around here - been lurking for a month or so. Hope you
                don't mind if I join in here...

                MacMillan. I think there's probably a logical, marketing reason for
                any plans to introduce a pre-int level in their Readers Series. Any
                ELT publisher makes most of their money from coursebooks, so if they
                are hoping to market the new-look readers as an optional-yet-
                indispensible part of any English course, it won't seem logical to
                then NOT have one of their coursebook levels complemented by a level
                in the readers series. The existing levels are also neatly in line
                with the CEF descriptors (bar the Starter books), but to bring in a
                new pre-int level would be to cover themselves not only with adult
                courses but with the teen market (secondary school)
                where 'Elementary' sounds a bit demeaning, but most teachers know
                that Intermediate or CEF B1 is pushing it a bit, especially as your
                teachers' resource materials recommend extensive reading as a low
                anxiety activity. I don't know any of this for sure, but it just
                makes sense to me as a marketing strategy.

                Fiona

                -- In ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com, "EPER Enquiries"