placement and assessment

  • Wendy Arnold
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi all

      I forgot to mention that recent education reforms in Hong Kong, have mandated that 40% of English lessons MUST be reading lessons ... either reading to learn or learning to read ... it's my job in my school to make sure that that happens in English ... it will be a battle, my colleagues think the coursebook teaching (read transmission) is 'reading' ... well I can see that side of the argument but there is more to reading than that!

      I'm going to do an awful lot of empathizing in the next year as I take my colleagues thru' a journey of discovering that reading is PLEASURABLE!!!!

      Ming,  I'm not sure I'd like to call what I do anything in particular ... probably more eclectic is the most honest answer,  I don't follow anything (now) slavishly (have done in the past ...). I'd like to think it's eclectic and balanced.  I've read a lot of literature about different approaches and I've dipped my foot into a few of them, some are better than others but at the end of the day it's working out what is best for your present cohort.  I've also learnt that you have to keep re-visiting and modifying year to year 'cos the cohorts change so much.

      Ming, I'd also be very interested how you remember learning to read, in all the 3 (or more) languages you speak.  Actually I've attached a survey which Shelagh Rixon at the University of Warwick sent to the YLsig, it's about reading.  Do feel free to contribute directly to her (moderator, I hope I'm not out of line here but this survey is directly related to reading)

      ' ... complete and return this version of the questionnaire through email to
        S.Rixon@... that would be simplest. If you need or want to make a
      printout and fill in a paper version by hand the postal address is: Shelagh
      Rixon, CELTE, The University of Warwick, CV4 7AL, Coventry, UK or the fax no
        is 0044 024 76524318 ...'

      Bye from a wet Hong Kong
      Wendy
    • John Paul Loucky
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 19, 2005

        "I think we have to recognize that there is a certain amount
        of input and perception necessary just to maintain a FL at a
        certain level.

        Second, I argue for the so-called 'word frequency effect' to
        be ignored after a certain point in word frequency. I'm not
        sure just where that level is, but I'm guessing after we are
        through the first 3000-3800 words for sure, if not well
        before. Instead, EFL students might do better to be directed
        into the sub-technical vocabulary (and materials that
        present it) they need for their majors of study. THis would
        certainly please certain colleagues across campus more. "

        ACTUALLY, 3,000 WORD FAMILIES OR ABOUT 5,000 LEXICAL ITEMS R CONSIDERED TO
        BE THE MINIMUM REQUIRED THRESHHOLD OR TURNING POINT FOR FLUENT, INDEPENDENT
        READING OF MOST TEXTS (by Laufer, 1997; Nation, 1983; Nation & Newton, 1997;
        and Coxhead, 1998, 2000 I believe).

        AFTER REACHING THAT LEVEL by 1) lst mastering General High Frequency words,
        2) then Coxhead's AWL, learners should be encouraged to work on 3) academic
        vocabulary needed in their field.
        At that time, as Januzzi says,
        " EFL students might do better to be directed
        into the sub-technical vocabulary (and materials that
        present it) they need for their majors of study. THis would
        certainly please certain colleagues across campus more. "

        JP Loucky

        www.CALL4ALL.us

        Yahoo! Groups Links