re: intensive reading

  • Jim Swan at home
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13 12:36 AM
      On May 12, 2005, at 7:01 PM, ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > 5. Need Intensive-Reading information
      > From: "urgetoo" <urgetoo@...>

      > __

      > I have a very successful ER course running at my university.
      > However, under pressure from my department, I need something to
      > balance it. I am going to start an INTENSIVE READING course.
      >
      > I have no idea what to do, but OUP has what seems to be a good book
      > called "Selected Readings (intermediate)", and it intensively
      > examines grammar, syntax, vocabulary, ect..
      >
      > This list steared me to the information I needed to learn how to
      > give an ER course...can someone stear me to information on how to
      > give an IR course?
      >
      > Rocky Nelson
      > PUFS
      > Busan, So. Korea

      You've already received some good feedback on your question, but I'd
      like to add my two cents' worth.

      Whether it's ER or IR, I have a deep distrust of using the same
      textbook for everyone. I simply can't imagine it in my own situation.

      The ER "component" of my ER classes is done entirely as homework, and
      for classwork I have my students on the SRA sets. The main
      advantages of SRA are that (1) ten different reading levels are
      available within one set and (2) the main language arts skills are
      recycled time and again. If you can interpret that to satisfy your
      colleagues' pressure for IR, it will be a WIN-WIN situation.

      The main disadvantage is that they wear out pretty quickly and
      students tend to lose the materials, no matter how carefully you try
      to control them. My school's sets are getting pretty long in the
      tooth now, but they're really expensive and replacing them is out of
      the question. Maybe I'll apply for a special budget supplement next
      year and see what happens. Last year i requested a laminator
      machine, but it hasn't materialized yet.

      I visited some school in California last March, and I noticed that
      there are now several brands of competition for the SRA, but -- DUH
      -- I failed to take note of the names or publishers. I have no idea
      of the pricing for them, either.

      Out for now.

      Jim
    • pauline moore
      Message 2 of 2 , May 13 8:45 AM
        RE:
        > 5. Need Intensive-Reading information
        > From: "urgetoo" <urgetoo@...>

        > I have a very successful ER course running at my
        university.
        > However, under pressure from my department, I need
        something to
        > balance it. I am going to start an INTENSIVE
        READING course.

        > I have no idea what to do, but OUP has what seems to
        be a good book
        > called "Selected Readings (intermediate)", and it
        intensively
        > examines grammar, syntax, vocabulary, ect..
        >
        > This list steared me to the information I needed to
        learn how to
        > give an ER course...can someone stear me to
        information on how to
        > give an IR course?
        >
        > Rocky Nelson
        > PUFS
        > Busan, So. Korea

        Hi Rocky

        Personally I'm all for balance. A recent article has
        highlighted the need for balance in reading
        instruction and it might help you to visualize what
        you could do during an intensive reading course.

        The article is by Hunt and Beglar, in Reading in a
        Foreign Language, the web site is:
        http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/rfl/April2005/hunt/hunt.html

        I hope you find their information helpful. In general
        RFL is a very useful on-line journal.

        Regards

        Pauline
        Mexico