Re: [ExtensiveReading] Digest Number 516

  • doran33@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hello!  Thanks for sharing the Cambridge activity.
      For adults, this is a fun Internet activity for already-skilled readers, but we cannot forget that our job is to make sure that the students we teach are much more skilled at understanding how to use the research-based and proven word-attack strategies to avoid this "alphabet soup" approach to reading.  I use this activity to teach my student-teachers how words may appear to the struggling students that they will be teaching.

      Moreover, I work with adult illiterates. When they have learned to use decoding strategies, we discuss this activity. They tell me that this activity reflects s how they used to "see" words before they learned to read phonetically.

      The activity helps those who are working with struggling learners who do not have strong phonics decoding and literacy skills to "see as they see."  It gives us, as educators, a better understanding of their frustration and difficulties as well as how to correct the problem.  Thanks again.

      Have a good day.
      From chilly, breezy and very sunny Phoenix,
      Pat