Re: [ExtensiveReading] adult beginners

  • EPER Enquiries
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2004
      Thank you, Julian!!

      Yes, I agree. They have not as yet been widely used but the reading cards
      have proved very popular with ESOL groups run by our local college of
      further education who ring me from time to time to ask if we have created
      any more. I can send samples if you write to eper.enquiries@...

      The secret of their success lies as much in the illustrations as in the
      text, but I think the latter is pretty good too.

      David Hill

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
        Penguin Easystarts are not in fact as easy as Macmillan Guided Readers
        Starter Level (purple spine). Easystarts have much more text and break the
        convention of "New speaker - new line", which makes for added difficulty.

        Really it is better to delay extensive reading until the second year of
        English, when most students find the bottom levels a doddle and the readers
        can be presented as something exciting and new . The trouble is that the
        mixed level classes we usually are faced with include, at the beginning of
        second year and its equivalent, students who have made virtually no progress
        at all and they must be catered for, both for their own sake and to maintain
        solidarity.

        The EPER Reading Cards and then the Starter Cards (which do not do much more
        than present the vocabulary vital for understanding in entertaining
        contexts) were created to address that problem in particular. I am thinking
        of cutting the price to £30 for the set of 30 A3 reading cards and £20 for
        the set of 40 A4 starter cards (plus postage), i.e. virtually half price.
        Any nibbles?

        David Hill

        David R Hill
        Project Director
        Edinburgh Project on Extensive Reading
        Institute for Applied Language Studies
        University of Edinburgh
        21 Hill Place
        Edinburgh EH8 9DP
        Tel: +44 (0)131 650 8211/6200
        Fax +44 (0)131 667 5927
        Email: David.R.Hill@...
        www.ials.ed.ac.uk/eper.html

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
          Reading your message again makes me think that you are thinking of starting
          ER too soon. Your students seem to me to need help with decoding, which is
          something else, and requires texts that are prepared to facilitate that.
          The group discussed this issue some time ago.

          The EPER cards will not help them, nor in my view any ER readers. What
          they need is an adult equivalent of the reading schemes that teach young
          children to read. Because the market is so small or the need not
          recongnised, it may well be that there ar enone and you will just have to
          use books designed for infants, which is, as you say, demotivating.

          Perhaps there is gap in publishing that you could fill and make your
          fortune?

          David

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 17, 2004
            Kieran & Julian,

            I'm a bit behind in commenting on Juian's suggestion for pre-graded
            reader materials. Just got back from Europe.

            I use the EPER pre-graded Reading "cards" (4 pages on both sides of one
            A3-size sheet) if I think a student may not be ready for my children's
            story-based materials, which involve MUCH more reading - or if I want to
            check how low their reading level is. I don't use the Starter "cards"
            because they're too babyish - even visually - for college students, and
            tend to focus on individual words rather than sentences.

            They're cartoon-strip stories, presumably written for secondary or
            junior school kids, but OK for young adults who are challenged by most
            reading in English. They're nice and short, much of the meaning is
            conveyed by the pictures, but not all, so they have to read the text
            too. The short and simple quizzes at the end of each story ae useful for
            analyzing how well a student has understood what she's read. There are
            only 6 sets of 5 stories or 30 in all. Provided they're reasonably
            motivated - not just goofing off - most of my pre-level G students can
            read five of these per week, so they can get through the lot in 6 weeks.
            Most of them also seem to be ready to try something more challenging
            before they finish the reading cards, though one or two could have done
            with a few more of those stories before tackling my own materials. The
            latter really needed one-to-one literacy training.

            CL

            Julian Bamford wrote:
            > Kieran,
            >
            > Someone wrote to your website:
            >
            >>'I am trying to find a basic reading scheme for a community ESOL class. . . All
            >
            > the schemes I can find seem to start at about 250 headwords. This is far too
            > advanced, and I am reluctant to use children's schemes as they are
            > patronising to adult learners.'
            >
            > The EPER Starter and Reading cards might fit the bill. They are "designed
            > for students who are at a very low level of reading ability in English, and
            > who cannot yet read the easiest graded readers. The whole set of 70 cards
            > forms a carefully designed programme do develop reading skills for extensive
            > reading." This includes vocabulary which is introduced through pictures. I
            > don't think adults will find even the earliest cards patronising.
            >
            > The cards are sold as photocopiable masters. For details, see EPER's site
            > www.ials.ed.ac.uk/eper.html
            >
            > Julian
            >

            > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/W_NqlB/TM

          • Clive Lovelock
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30, 2004
              Kieran

              Since I got back from Europe three weeks ago, I've been flat out trying
              to catch up with the backlog. I've lost track of whether or not I sent
              those vocabulary building materials I promised you or not. Did I?

              Clive