[ExtensiveReading] LLL Award finalists

  • Julian Bamford
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
      I thought the following announcement might be of interest to the list. As
      someone wrote here before, The Extensive Reading Foundation (ERF)
      (www.erfoundation.org) has established an annual award for language learner
      literature. In this inaugural year (2004), publishers nominated books
      suitable for extensive reading by language learners, and copyrighted up to
      and including 2003. The books were nominated in four categories: Young
      Learners, and three categories for Adolescents & Adults--Beginner,
      Intermediate, and Advanced.
      On July 31, the ERF announced the three finalist books in the four
      categories--here they are:

      Young Learners
      Mtikazi's Mistake by Nola Turkington. Illustrated by Lyn Gilbert.
      Macmillan Publishers Ltd.: Reading Worlds, Imaginary World Level 5.
      The Kindest Family. Retold by Krista Bell. Illustrated by Xiangyi Mo and
      Jingwen Wang. Thomson Learning: PM Plus Story Books Level 20.
      Three Billy-Goats. Retold by Sue Arengo. Illustrated by Caroline Anstey.
      Oxford University Press: Classic Tales Beginner 1.

      Adolescents & Adults
      Beginner
      Jojo's Story by Antoinette Moses. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge
      English Readers, Level 2.
      Sally's Phone by Christine Lindop. Illustrated by Gavin Reece. Oxford
      University Press: Oxford Bookworms Starters.
      The Phantom of the Opera by Jennifer Bassett. Oxford University Press:
      Oxford Bookworms Stage 1.

      Intermediate
      A Kiss Before Dying by Ira Levin. Retold by F.H. Cornish. Macmillan
      Heinemann ELT: Macmillan Guided Readers, Intermediate Level.
      Opal Crazy by Rill Meehan. Artwork by Peter Mathieson. AMES Victoria.
      ISBN 0730656039
      Staying Together by Judith Wilson. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge
      English Readers, Level 4.

      Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis De Bernieres. Retold by Mary Tomalin.
      Pearson Education: Penguin Readers, Level 6.
      Cry Freedom by John Briley. Simplified by Rowena Akinyemi. Oxford
      University Press: Oxford Bookworms Library, Stage 6.
      Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Retold by Margaret Tarner. Illustrated by
      Anthony Colbert. Macmillan Heinemann ELT: Macmillan Guided Readers, Upper
      Level.

      The next step is Internet voting on the erfoundation.org site during the
      month of September. The winners of the first Awards will be announced in
      October.

      I have ordered the finalist books that I don't already have in my school
      library, so that I and my students can vote. I think nearly all the books
      are published for a global market and so are probably obtainable from local
      or Internet bookstores. But I wasn't able to order 'Opal Crazy,' and have
      written to the publisher, AMES, to ask how to order.
      Julian