Re: Re-writers collective

  • Juan Pino Silva
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2004
      Tim,

      You ask
      1. I think that your articles are a bit difficult for my
      > (non-indo-european language group) students but the are
      > an important resource. Are your mazazine articles free
      > for anyone to use?

      The thing is that some those texts have been put up there for
      research purposes. Students are reading texts written by NS and NNS
      writers to see if they can tell the difference and if the NNS texts
      are apt to the task. Data collection is about to finish and thus the
      texts will be taken down and new material will be put up. That
      material you can use in any way you want.

      2. Might I be allowed to link to content pages with a Japanese
      > sysnopsis if I also link to your main page in each synopsis?
      Again, I let you know when you can. Thanks for your interest.

      3. I am not sure if you are inviting me to join the rewriters
      collective which I find it to be a great idea.
      Finally Tim and all, it appears that magazine articles both
      authentic and rewritten have finally been given due and fair
      consideration in the list.
      Best wishes,
      Juan

      --- In ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Takemoto"
      <nospam2@n...> wrote:
      > Dear Rob is there any chance of sharing your students works,
      > ideally in a corrected form?
      >
      > Juan - I did not realise your materials had been re-written.
      > That makes the situation completely different. I like your
      > method of encouraging ER too. There is no need to force them
      > to, or tell them to - you can just put them in a situation
      > where they will naturally. Great. And that is one of the
      > advantages of magazines too.
      >
      > I think that your articles are a bit difficult for my
      > (non-indo-european language group) students but the are
      > an important resource. Are your mazazine articles free
      > for anyone to use?
      >
      > Might I be allowed to link to content pages with a Japanese
      > sysnopsis if I also link to your main page in each synopsis?
      >
      > With regard to the Re=Writers Collective, since interest was
      > expressed, I suggest, and here by pledge the folllowing.
      >
      > As a member of the re-writers collective, I pledge to re-write
      > six (6) articles during the first year of my membership at a
      > rate of not less than one per 2 months, which are:
      > 1) In English of 500 words or more
      > 1) pan-global (i.e. not of interest only in a specific region)
      > 2) a-temporal (i.e. not of interest only in this particular decade)
      > 3) That conform to one of the following to copyright licences
      > Attributed, Non-Commercial uses, allowing changes.
      > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/1.0/
      > Attributed uses allowing changes.
      > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/
      > 4) Of a subject matter of interest to adults but in good taste,
      > as defined by article 7 of the free webhost "fortunecity.com"
      > http://www.fortunecity.com/terms.shtml
      > coming into effect for such time as there are 5 other active
      > members of the collective.
      >
      > Signed Sealed (electronically!)
      >
      > Timothy Takemoto
    • Timothy TAKEMOTO
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2004
        Juan,

        I will be interested in the results of your research.

        Personally I don't think that the nse and nnse distinction is all that important.
        Or at least, I tend to make a lot of use of nnse English in my classes.

        If the NNSE has a lot of mistakes, and importantly, these mistakes have patterns,
        then it will lead to pidgin-isation, such as use of L1 grammar forms, over use of
        cognates, and the habitualisation of false cognates. A danger, but...hmm...I am
        not sure. I look forward to your results.

        I suppose that I would be inclined to use NSE readings since there are usually
        a lot of these about.

        Another thing to look into would be the effect of one NNSE on another.
        I guess this is studied in the field of research known as "international English".

        I think that if I have a lot of Japanese writing (and reading) to each other then
        they would be inclinded to use pidgin English (wasei-eigo) that exists in Japan.
        However when Japanese speak to NNS who's L1 is a romance language then
        perhaps the mistakes are less likely to compound?

        For example French speakers might be inclined to use "actually" to mean
        "currently" (based on the French meaning of actuellment) but Japanese
        speakers of English would be unlikely to copy this misake, or even
        understand it.

        But, on the other hand, perhaps the French mistake "I would like some
        informations" using information in the plural (since information is a countable
        noun in romance languages) , would be picked up by the Japanese since they
        have problems with knowing which words are countable.

        Umm....

        Please do join the re-writers collective. I consider your English to be NSE.
        Bear in mind that there would then be only two members (since Jim expressed
        an interest only).

        I will now purchase the "rewriterscollective.com" but it will not work for another
        day or so.