Off topic-Multicultural Families

  • Arisa Wu
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2002
      Hello,

      I am new to this group and I have enjoyed the discussions presented here in this group very much!

      I have no experience in teaching advanced level EFL/ESL students to read extensively so I must apologize for interrupting the discussion on * Reading Aloud * to EFL students or ESL students. However, I only have one thing to comment on this topic- that is,it does depend on the level of the students. With the Advanced-level EFL students, you can even ask them to close their books and ask them to make notes while you read aloud the paragraphs. This activity may work even better with the ESL students who have more exposure to English( since they study English in countries where English is used as a mainstream language), thus have better listening comprehension. Remember grammar-translation method ? Sometimes the translation of the materials in the student's native language is needed depending on the students' level..

      Ok, now let me cut to the chase- I have recently created a group, we aim for multiculturalism. You are very welcomed to join us! Feel free to discuss any topic concerning multiculturalism.

      Below is an introductory message of the Multicultural Families.
      Do take a look around and hang out with us. After you have joined in ,you can unsubscribe anytime in your convenience. I look forward to seeing you in the group!

      Sincerely yours,

      Arisa Wu( former EFL teacher who taught mainly kids)-- San Jose, California

      PS.  Our first topic is -- what are some ways to develop and support a child's ethnic identity?

      Hello,

      Welcome to the multiculturalfamilies group at Yahoo! Groups, a
      free, easy-to-use email group service. Please
      take a moment to review this message.

      Were you raised in a bicultural/multicultural home? Are you currently raising your children in a bicultural/multicultural setting? Share your experiences and insights with us!

      Here we also welcome discussions on any issue concerning multicultural immersions, interracial marriages,interracial relationships, and intercultural experiences. Here you can tell us about your stories on educating the next generation to have a multicultural view and your bitter-sweet experiences. You may be a parent , a language teacher, a sociology teacher , an anthropology student or anyone who has intercultural experiences.

      To learn more about the multiculturalfamilies group, please visit
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/multiculturalfamilies

      To start sending messages to members of this group, simply
      send email to
      multiculturalfamilies@yahoogroups.com

      If you do not wish to belong to multiculturalfamilies, you may
      unsubscribe by sending an email to
      multiculturalfamilies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      To see and modify all of your groups, go to
      http://groups.yahoo.com/mygroups

      Regards,

      Moderator, multiculturalfamilies