Re: [ExtensiveReading] Implicit instruction

  • Stephen Krashen
    Message 1 of 58 , Oct 12, 2003
      I have indeed hypothesized that CI will not give you everything,
      there is typically a small residue. But CI gives the acquirer quite a
      few redundant features. What remains unacquired varies from acquirer
      to acquirer and depends on affective factors, quality of input. I
      have never hypothesized that CI gives you none of the redundant
      features.

      >***Members should be aware of the following. SK has elsewhere
      >admitted that exposure to CI alone DOES NOT result in the
      >acquisition of the myriad redundant features which characterise the
      >proficient language learner's production. So if as a teacher you
      >have no interest in your students' acquisition of such features
      >carry on following SK's advice. If on the other hand, you do wish
      >your students to have a chance of becoming proficient language users
      >and having a chance of reaching near-native status, follow the
      >advice of people more in touch with the problems of teaching
      >languages at school. Like so many applied linguists who have been
      >very active in publishing, SK has simply not had the time to try
      >implementing what they advocate in the long term. If they had and
      >were obliged to implement what they propose on a day to day, week to
      >week basis, they would soon change their tune. In the last two
      >years, I have had this experience with elementary classes in Quebec
      >- a most instructive experience.

    • Charles Jannuzzi
      Message 58 of 58 , Feb 18 9:20 PM

        > Hardly. Go back & reread. I said LEA was used at lst
        mainly w US kids,

        And US kids have always included immigrants JPL. That was
        the non-dogmatic point. And dialect speakers, and I doubt if
        you can sitting at your pc verify who was corrected,
        assimilated, denied a language other than ENglish, etc.

        > More reading in. Whoever said " the US's tradition
        is only
        > pragmatism is pretty silly
        > Americanfirsterism"?

        I said it JPL. I never said you said it. WHo is 'reading
        in'?

        Another of your inventions or reading your own
        > misinterpretations bw other writer's lines.

        No, I was making an assertion counter to what is often
        asserted about American education being so unique and
        pragmatic. What's so pragmatic about wasting billions on
        phonics programs for a bunch of over-funded Texans anyway?

        > NOT SO OBVIOUSLY.
        > INDEED IT WAS AN OVERALL LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT MODEL SEEING
        4 PHASES.
        > LIT ACQUISITION WAS ONLY 1 OF THOSE 4.

        The 'language development' needs of native speakers tends to
        be to get students ready for academic work in a standard
        language--so back to the original comments about dialect,
        etc. You need to infer a bit more JPL.

        CJ