Re: [ExtensiveReading] Digest Number 292

  • Rick Lavin
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
      I've been away for a while, and have just read the fascinating post
      below. Is it possible to buy a copy of this doctoral dissertation? If
      not, would you mind giving us bibliographical information so that we
      can attempt to source it ourselves? Thanks,

      Rick Lavin

      On 2003.Sep.14, at 04:21 pm, ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > I have conducted a
      > series of studies over the last decade, comparing English language
      > competence of students who participate in extensive reading classes
      > with those who follow the traditional curriculum; in every case, the
      > readers did better. They did better on tests of reading, of writing
      > and grammar. And they enjoyed the classes a lot more than
      > traditionally-taught students did.
      >
      > In my recently completed doctoral dissertation I confirmed that
      > adding extra writing in English, with or without error correction,
      > made no extra contribution to English proficiency: It is the reading
      > that counts.
    • Juan Pino Silva
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
        I would also be interested in reading it.
        Best wishes
        Juan
        --- In ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com, Rick Lavin <rlavin@p...>
        wrote:
        > I've been away for a while, and have just read the fascinating
        post
        > below. Is it possible to buy a copy of this doctoral dissertation?
        If
        > not, would you mind giving us bibliographical information so that
        we
        > can attempt to source it ourselves? Thanks,
        >
        > Rick Lavin
        >
        > On 2003.Sep.14, at 04:21 pm, ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com
        wrote:

        > > I have conducted a
        > > series of studies over the last decade, comparing English
        language
        > > competence of students who participate in extensive reading
        classes
        > > with those who follow the traditional curriculum; in every case,
        the
        > > readers did better. They did better on tests of reading, of
        writing
        > > and grammar. And they enjoyed the classes a lot more than
        > > traditionally-taught students did.
        > >
        > > In my recently completed doctoral dissertation I confirmed that
        > > adding extra writing in English, with or without error
        correction,
        > > made no extra contribution to English proficiency: It is the
        reading
        > > that counts.
      • Clive Lovelock
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003