word count/online translation

  • Marc Helgesen
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
      Akio and the ESS, thanks for sharing this info.

      Rob asked if the people who did the word count could add some English
      to the chart. Would be nice.

      But I thought people might also want to know about an online translator.

      It is at http://www.excite.co.jp/world/text/

      Here is what to do.
      1. Go to the Japanese site you want.
      2. Copy the text.
      3. Go to the URL listed above
      4. Paste the text into the big box on the left.
      5. Note that default is English to Japanese so you need to change
      that. Right in the center, you will see an orange arrow. Under it a
      rectangle and under that, two circles with some kanji next to them.
      Click the bottom circle.
      6. Then click the rectangle. You will soo see the text in the box on the right.

      --
    • Akio Furukawa
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
        Hi, we just updated our webpage:
        http://www.seg.co.jp/sss/shohyou/word-count.html

        We add some English to the chart.
        If you have any comment, please email at sss@....

        At 02/04/01 午後 05:22, you wrote:
        >Akio and the ESS, thanks for sharing this info.
        >
        >Rob asked if the people who did the word count could add some English
        >to the chart. Would be nice.

        Akio FURUKAWA, Phone 3366-1435 FAX 3365-3546
      • Rory Rosszell
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
          I just had a look at you website and it looks like you have created a very
          useful resource for other teachers. Thank you.

          I would be interested to know the number of students who have rated each of
          the books. Maybe you could add another column to show this. Do you set a
          minimum number of students before you assign a rating?

          Rory Rosszell

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
            >I just had a look at you website and it looks like you have created a very
            >useful resource for other teachers. Thank you.

            It took 6 months to count all graded readers.

            >I would be interested to know the number of students who have rated each of
            >the books. Maybe you could add another column to show this. Do you set a
            >minimum number of students before you assign a rating?

            It is not rated by students.
            Our web site members rated each of the books.
            Anyone can participate rating the books at our web site.
            First, you access at
            http://www.seg.co.jp/cgi-bin/sss/sssrev.cgi
            Second, enter the title or a part of title of a book.
            And type RETURN KEY or push 検索 button.
            Then you get titles of books which satisfy the condition.
            Click the title you would like to comment.
            You can see all the reviews of the book.
            (ALL of them are now JAPANESE, and the number of
            reviews are mostly only one now.)
            Click the button to review the book.
            You can write a review and rate the book.

            We have settled our web site for English learners in JAPAN.
            Please let me know if you know the similar site for English learners in
            other countries.

            FURUKAWA Akio, SSS.

            Akio FURUKAWA, Phone 3366-1435 FAX 3365-3546
          • Clive Lovelock
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
              Yes, VERY useful. many thanks, Akio. And thanks to Rob and Marc for your
              helpful suggestions, too.

              Clive

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 13, 2002
                Hi, we just updated our webpage:

                http://www.seg.co.jp/sss/learning/grlist/2003-new.html.

                If someone in this ML have information for
                new titles of Macmillan Guided Readers and New Wave Readers,
                please let me know about the information.

                Akio FURUKAWA,
                SSS Reading Study Group in JAPAN
              • Julian Bamford
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 22, 2002
                  This being the season of spring cleaning and good cheer, Santa has the
                  following print journals to give anyone (naughty or nice) who'll pay the
                  postage. I'm in Japan, which probably restricts this to people living in
                  Japan. I would pack up what you wanted and send the boxes to you by
                  takkyubin package service, C.O.D..

                  TESOL Quarterly, Volume 20 (1986) to present (4 issues per year, complete
                  but for 2 missing issues; a few copies slightly marked up with underlining
                  and notes)

                  Language Teaching (Abstracting journal, published by Cambridge). October
                  1989 to October 1999. (4 issues per year; complete)

                  The next three journals are from the International Reading Association.

                  Reading Research Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 2 (1994) to present (complete)

                  The Reading Teacher, Vol 48, No. 6 (1995) to present (8 issues a year, two
                  issues missing)

                  Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy (formerly Journal of Reading), Vol
                  37, No. 8 (1994) to present (8 issues a year, complete)

                  Please reply to me directly i.e., offlist (the whole group won't be
                  interested). First come, first served, so apologies in advance if someone
                  gets in ahead of you.
                  Julian
                • Clive Lovelock
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2003
                    Dear Akio

                    I've been meaning to send you this stuff for months (years?). I counted
                    them about 2 years ago! Sorry. I've been a bit (!) busy.

                    It looks as if Macmillan are making a real mess of that (formerly) fine
                    collection of readers they took over from Heinemann. My list pre-dates
                    that takeover, I'm afraid, but it's still valid if you have old copies
                    on your shelves.

                    The page numbers are pages of *print* (pp of p) - not including pictures
                    or blank paper.
                    Heinemann Beginner
                    Marco 10.5 pp of p about 2200 wds

                    The House on the Hill 14.5 pp of p about 3500 wds

                    Dear Jan Love Ruth 10 pp of p about 2200 wds

                    Rich Man Poor Man 13 pp of p about 2800 wds

                    Anna & the Fighter 11.5 pp of p about 2600 wds

                    Winning & Losing 14 pp of p about 3500 wds

                    The Wall 14 pp of p about 3200 wds

                    The Truth Machine 14 pp of p about 2500 wds

                    Adv. of Tom Sawyer 45.5 pp of p about 9500 wds

                    Tale of 2 Cities 38 pp of p about 7600 wds

                    Sky's the Limit 14 pp of p about 2600 wds

                    This is San Fransisco 12 pp of p about 3000 wds

                    Night Visitor 14 pp of p about 2600 wds

                    Newspaper Boy 10.5 pp of p about 2300 wds

                    Money for a Motorbike 9 pp of p about 1800 wds

                    The Long Tunnel 12.5 pp of p about 2600 wds

                    L.A. Raid 13 pp of p about 3200 wds

                    The Garden 13.5 pp of p about 3200 wds

                    Dangerous Journey 11 pp of p about 2400 wds

                    Death of a Soldier 12.5 pp of p about 2600 wds

                    This is Cambriadge 12 pp of p about 2500 wds

                    This is Barcelona 13.5 pp of p about 2400 wds

                    This is London 12 pp of p about 2700 wds

                    This is New York 12 pp of p about 2600 wds

                    This is Oxford 14 pp of p about 2900 wds

                    Heinemann Elementary
                    Boy WHo was Afraid 29.5 pp of p about 8400 wds

                    CantervilleGhost & OS 36 pp of p about 10200 wds

                    Christmas Carol 40.5 pp of p about 11,000 wds

                    Claws 41 pp of p about 11,200 wds

                    Cleverest Person ... 34 pp of p about 9,500 wds

                    Don't Tell What to Do 34.5 pp of p about 9,300 wds

                    The Flower Seller 37 pp of p about 10,000 wds

                    Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde 29 pp of p about 8,100 wds

                    Escape & O.S. 28 pp of p about 7,800 wds

                    Frankenstein 24.5 pp of p about 7,300 wds

                    Goalkeeper's Revenge 33 pp of p about 8,900 wds

                    Hound of Baskervilles 34 pp of p about 9,500 wds

                    Lady Portia's R & OS 27 pp of p about 7,500 wds

                    Love by Design 34.5 pp of p about 8,700 wds

                    Black Cat 30 pp of p about 7,800 wds

                    Narrow Path 38 pp of p about 10,600 wds

                    Picture of D. Grey 46.5 pp of p about 12,500 wds

                    The Promise 34 pp of p about 8,800 wds

                    Red Pony 32 pp of p about 8,300 wds

                    Silver Blaze & O.S. 42 pp of p about 10,500 wds

                    Tales of 10 Worlds 33 pp of p about 9,500 wds

                    The Runaways 37.5 pp of p about 9,300 wds

                    Woman in Black 41 pp of p about 11,000 wds

                    Z for Zachariah 39.5 pp of p about 9,400 wds

                    Road to Nowhere 37 pp of p about 9,000 wds

                    The Verger & O.S. 26.5 pp of p about 6,800 wds

                    Tales of Horror 35 pp of p about 10,100 wds

                    The Stranger 29 pp of p about 6,600 wds

                    Room 13 & O.S. 42,5 pp of p about 10,900 wds

                    Riders .. Purple Sage 40 pp of p about 10,400 wds

                    Treasure Island 38.5 pp of p about 10,300 wds

                    Clive