Issue 2.51

  • David Meadows
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 1999
      ]|[============================================]|[

      ]|[ ]|[ EXPLORATOR
      ]|[ ]|[ Watching the Web for News of the Ancient World
      ]|[ ]|[ Volume 2, Issue 51 -- August 31, 1999

      ]|[============================================]|[

      Editor's note: Depending on your mail software, some urls may wrap which
      will require you to rebuild the url at your end; if you get a 'file not
      found', check to see if the url wrapped on you. Most urls should be active
      for at least eight hours from the time of 'publicatio' .

      ]|[============================================]|[

      Just a couple of items today:

      The Times of London has a nice report on what High Rocester Fort (a.k.a.
      Bremenium) tells us about military preparedness among the Romans:

      http://www.sunday-times.co.uk:80/news/pages/Times/timcrtcrt01004.html?2177977
      <url:http://www.sunday-times.co.uk:80/news/pages/Times/timcrtcrt01004.html?2
      177977>

      The Times of London also reports on the possible discovery of the fabled
      Mahogany Ship, which might force a rewriting of the history books in
      regards to the first Europeans to reach Australia:

      http://www.sunday-times.co.uk:80/news/pages/Times/timfgnaus01001.html?2177977
      <url:http://www.sunday-times.co.uk:80/news/pages/Times/timfgnaus01001.html?2
      177977>

      And just so you don't feel shortchanged, here's a couple of announcements
      which might be of interest:

      1. The Top 100 Archaeological discoveries countdown will begin with this
      weekend's issue; basically I'm going to start with number 100 and count
      down to number one with one or two features in most (probably not all)
      issues between this weekend and the end of the year (it depends on how much
      coffee I can get into me!). Each discovery will have a page at my Atrium
      site with a brief feature and links to some informative sites on the
      discovery. So look for that beginning this weekend.

      2. If you're a fan of ancient (Mediterranean) history, my 'This Day in
      Ancient History' feature will be reviving tomorrow (September 1) and
      hopefully will keep running and not be interrupted again. If you're
      interested, tomorrow a.m. you can point your browser to:

      http://web.idirect.com/~atrium/thisday.html

      ]|[============================================]|[

      EXPLORATOR is an irregular newletter (posted every two-three days)
      representing the fruits of the labours of 'media research division' of The
      Atrium. Various on-line news and magazine sources are scoured on a daily
      basis for news of the ancient world (broadly construed: practically
      anything relating to archaeology or history prior to about 1700 or so is
      fair game) and when a sufficient number of urls are gathered (usually a
      minimum of three stories), they are delivered to your mailbox free of
      charge! Those articles that don't expire, plus supplementary links
      eventually find a home at:

      Commentarium (news articles)

      http://web.idirect.com/~atrium/commentarium.html

      The Rostra (audio files)

      http://web.idirect.com/~atrium/rostra.html

      A media archive of links of files that have previously appeared in
      Commentarium or at the Rostra is currently under construction.

      ]|[============================================]|[

      Explorator is Copyright (c) 1999 David Meadows; Feel free to
      distribute these listings via email to your pals, students, teachers, etc.,
      but please include this copyright notice. These listings are not to be
      posted to a website; instead, please provide a link to either Commentarium
      or Rostra (or both)!

      You can subscribe to or unsubscribe from this list by going to the
      following web page:

      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/Explorator

      Or, send by sending a blank email message to:

      Explorator-subscribe@onelist.com

      or

      ]|[ David Meadows ]|[ http://web.idirect.com/~atrium ]|[ Rogue Classicist ]|[