Explorator 5.1

  • dmeadows@idirect.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2002
      explorator 5.1 May 5, 2002
      Editor's note: Depending on your mail software, some urls may
      wrap (especially those from the Telegraph) which will require
      you to rebuild the url at your end; if you get a 'file not
      found', check to see if the url wrapped on you. Most urls should
      be active for at least eight hours from the time of publication.
      Welcome to our fifth year!! What began as a whim while I
      was locked out of my office at McMaster University and was waiting
      for security to let me in (and was reading the rather old newsclippings
      posted on the Classics Department bulletin board) has turned into
      a Sunday morning ritual for me and, apparently, quite a few others!
      A year ago we were boasting a subscriber base of 1948 and today we
      can claim 2720 (a 40% or so increase!), augmented, of course, by
      those who read it via sci.archaeology.moderated or humanities.classics
      or any of the several email lists which get various edited versions
      -- today you get the full version to see what you've been missing.
      We continue to be free and ad free save for those yahoo things) and
      will remain that way for the foreseeable future!

      Speaking of yahoo, I've decided that Explorator will remain
      hosted there until something equivalent comes along but in the
      next few weeks I'll be sending out a message indicating how you
      can minimize the impact of yahoo's advertising policies at your
      end.

      Last, but not least, I apologize last week for my geographically-
      challenged suggestion that the Island of Jersey was near
      Cornwall! (I do have coffee in me for this issue!).
      Thanks to John Hill, Arthur Shippee, W. Richard Frahm, George
      Pesely, 'ekbole', Maurice O'Sullivan, Kris Curry, Isidoros, John Lens,
      Ardle MacMahon, for headses upses this week (a.a.h.i.h.l.n.o.o.)
      AFRICA, EUROPE, AND ASIA
      Let's start with one the scan didn't pick up a while ago ... a
      nice little article which can't really be classified, but which
      is entitled "The Awful Truth About Archaeology":

      http://www.abqtrib.com/archives/opinions02/041602_opinions_arch.shtml

      "Stumbling" archaeologists strike again: this time clumsily discovering
      4th dynasty pyramid:

      http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_581684.html
      http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1969000/1969247.stm

      Climate changes threaten Egypt's monuments:

      http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/from_our_own_correspondent/newsid_1966000/1966886.stm

      Sadly, it looks like Assur will be the latest casualty of dam
      building in Iraq:

      http://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/article.asp?idart=9394

      Archaeologists mapping the ancient city of Uruk have found it often
      matches the description in the "Song" of Gilgamesh:

      http://www.rferl.org/nca/features/2002/05/03052002101632.asp

      Iraq is asking Germany to return the Ishtar Gate:

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,709809,00.html

      An article on a USydney dig in Australia, although rather
      unfocussed:

      http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/05/03/1019441435699.html

      Students are learning heritage preservation at Petra:

      http://www.jordantimes.com/Mon/homenews/homenews9.htm

      Archaeologists working in the Kerameikos have found a "rare" type
      of kouros:

      http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_politics_100014_30/04/2002_16000

      A bit of the Via Egnatia along with artifacts from other eras
      has been found:

      http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/news/content.asp?aid=16006

      The Taliban didn't get *everything* -- saved was a second century
      A.D./C.E. bowl with bacchannalian scenes (this one's *very*
      interesting):

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,709045,00.html

      The Long Man of Wilmington has been, er, 'defaced':

      http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_579301.html
      http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/england/newsid_1961000/1961913.stm

      Plans are in the works to help conserve Mohenjodaro:

      http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/may2002-daily/01-05-2002/metro/i6.htm

      A 2200-year-old wooden (!) map has been discovered in China's
      Gansu province:

      http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200204/30/eng20020430_95013.shtml

      A 5000-year-old bird-shaped "totem" has been found in China's
      Anhui province:

      http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2002-04/28/content_376472.htm

      Arab archaeologists have called for protection of Palestinian
      sites:

      http://www.jpost.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=JPost/A/JPArticle/Full&cid=1020146452187

      On the eve of the official opening of the revived Library of
      Alexandria, Iraq is announcing that it intends to revive the
      Library of Ashurbanipal:

      http://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/article.asp?idart=9399

      THE AMERICAS
      Road construction near/in Miami has revealed a burial of a member
      of the Tequesta people:

      http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/krmiami/20020503/lo/bones_found_under_a1a_are_thought_to_be_indian_1.html

      Philadelphians continue to wait to see what was excavated from
      Independence Mall:

      http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/3165724.htm

      They're searching for the lost ships of the Franklin Expedition:

      http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/04/0430_020430_franklin.html

      This one's just down the road from me ... Hamilton officials have
      stopped a dig at a site slated to be in the way of expressway
      construction:

      http://www.canada.com/hamilton/news/story.asp?id={C7F4EEEF-8ADC-4861-B481-C8B3C5B2A6A8}

      An Onandaga site has led to a change in plans for bridge construction
      in Syracuse:

      http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-ny--onondagaremains0501may01.story?coll=ny%2Dap%2Dregional%2Dwire

      ON THE NEWSSTANDS
      There's a new issue of British Archaeology out, with articles on
      the Armada, the Vikings, Balbridie, and other things:

      http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba64/index.shtml

      ON THE WEB
      A New York Times article (mentioned below in the Classics section)
      caused me to check this one out. It's the UCLA Cultural VR Lab
      site where they've been giving various ancient structures the
      VR treatment. There's some interesting reconstructions at their
      website (esp. in the "Portfolio"):

      http://www.cvrlab.org/

      I've been alerted to the existence of the Anthro-Globe site,
      which appears to publish full text articles as .pdf's (requiring
      Acrobat Reader, of course). Of interest might be Sergei V. Rjabchikov,
      "Some Remarks on the Scythian and Sarmatian Religion":

      http://anthro-globe.com/docs/articles/32.pdf
      NEW ONLINE BOOKS
      Homer, *The Odyssey* (Pope translation):

      http://digital.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=3160
      CRIME BEAT
      At a memorial for the four Canadians killed in that 'friendly fire'
      incident in Afghanistan, our Governess-General appears to have
      quoted from Pericles' Funeral Oration (although true to form, Canadian
      journalists seem unable to 'name the name'):

      http://canada.com/news/story.asp?id={7157C231-B4AF-441E-993F-6D902B45ED6B}

      More arrests in Greece (Thessaloniki, to be exact):

      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020429/ap_wo_en_ge/greece_antiquities_arrest_1

      A guy was caught with a metal detector on Mt. Zion:

      http://www.jpost.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=JPost/A/JPArticle/Full&cid=1020146449300

      A nice article on tombaroli:

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,708652,00.html

      The 'Tome Raider' has been arrested:

      http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/england/newsid_1964000/1964189.stm
      http://www.wired.com/news/reuters/story?story_id=20020502APAP-Britain-Book-Thief
      http://www.sltrib.com/05032002/nation_w/733671.htm

      A new 'code of conduct' will hopefully prevent British Museums from
      acquiring stolen antiquities:

      http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$R4RKXDIAAAYRDQFIQMGCFF4AVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2002/05/02/nart02.xml
      AT ABOUT.COM
      Just in time for Mothers Day, Ancient History Guide N.S. Gill features
      "The Top Seven Famous Greek Mothers":

      http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/grecoromanwomen/tp/gkmothers.htm

      Archaeology Guide Kris Hirst's latest is on a couple of online digs:

      http://archaeology.about.com/library/weekly/aabyb042802a.htm
      REVIEWS
      Alexander Stille, *The Future of the Past*:

      http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/28/books/review/28LANGEWT.html

      Lysistrata(i):

      http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=290081
      http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=214599
      EXHIBITIONS
      The Royal Academy is hosting an exhibition of Buddhas and this
      week there's some serious coverage:

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/saturday_review/story/0,3605,691163,00.html
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/gall/0,8542,687439,00.html
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/asia-pacific/newsid_1964000/1964083.stm

      1884-1930: From the Christian Collection to the Byzantine Museum (Athens):

      http://www.athensnews.gr/athweb/nathens.print_unique?e=C&f=12960&m=A38&aa=1&eidos=S
      CLASSICIST'S CORNER
      The New York Times has an interesting piece on a VR treatment of
      the Colosseum by some folks at UCLA:

      http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/02/technology/circuits/02ARCH.html

      Some interesting comparative material here (Roman religion):

      http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/asia-pacific/newsid_1959000/1959916.stm

      AthensNews has a touristy thing on what to do after you've paid
      a visit to Mycenae:

      http://www.athensnews.gr/athweb/nathens.print_unique?e=C&f=12960&m=A24&aa=1&eidos=S

      James Whitley is the new director of the British School at
      Athens:

      http://www.newswales.co.uk/?section=Education&F=1&id=5561

      An interesting twist on the Elgin Marbles saga:

      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020430/ap_wo_en_ge/us_greek_sailor_1

      On the origins of the name Hannibal:

      http://www.forward.com/issues/2002/02.05.03/arts6.html

      Plenty of ClassCon in an appeal to save the Bodleian's graffiti:

      http://www.spectator.co.uk/article.php3?table=old§ion=current&issue=2002-05-04&id=1826

      British Museum cuts might affect your next visit there:

      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020429/ap_wo_en_ge/britain_struggling_museum_1

      Has the U.S. become an empire?:

      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=123&ncid=742&e=10&u=/020502/79/1hbz3.html

      Is there a dig at classics professors in this?:

      http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/121/living/Beloved_BC_English_prof_takes_a_final_bow+.shtml

      Dot Wordsworth:

      http://www.spectator.co.uk/article.php3?table=old§ion=current&issue=2002-05-04&id=1834

      Radio Finland's Nuntii Latini