FW: FAITHFUL GAY CATHOLICS GO TO TRIAL ON JAN 24, 2003 in WASHINGTON D.C.

  • Life Coach
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2002
      fyi

      From: Soulforce [mailto:journey@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, 31 December 2002 10:53
      To: avb@...
      Subject: FAITHFUL GAY CATHOLICS GO TO TRIAL ON JAN 24, 2003 in WASHINGTON
      D.C.

      FAITHFUL GAY CATHOLICS GO TO TRIAL ON JAN 24, 2003 in WASHINGTON D.C. -

      IF YOU LIVE NEAR DC, JOIN US TO SUPPORT THE SOULFORCE "DC 3"

      The three gay Catholics who were arrested in the lobby of the Hyatt Regency
      on
      Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. last month will stand trial on January 24,
      2003 for "Unlawful Entry."

      Soulforce supporters in and around D.C. are being asked to mark their
      calendars and join with us at Luther Place at 2 PM Thursday for vigiling at
      the USCCB offices that afternoon, 7:30 AM Friday to prepare for the day, and
      10AM Saturday morning to go to the Holocaust Museum special exhibit. (see
      details below.)

      Kara Speltz (Oakland, CA), Ken Einhaus (Arlington, VA), and Mike Perez
      (Seattle, WA), all lifelong Catholics and supporters of Soulforce returned
      Washington D.C. pled not guilty after being arrested for kneeling in the
      lobby
      of the Hyatt Regency on November 12, 2002. The three had been denied
      Eucharist
      at the National Shrine's annual Mass that takes place during the United
      States
      Conference of Catholic Bishops

      The decision to go to trial is a new tactic for Soulforce. Up until now,
      those
      arrested have simply pled guilty and paid a fine. The "DC 3" believe that
      going
      to trial will give Soulforce another opportunity make our case against the
      Catholic Church publicly.

      To read our 'Case Against the Catholic Church' go to
      http://www.soulforce.org/dc1102/dc_ourcase.shtml This document which we
      created
      for our November, 2002 direct action was culled from just one year's news
      reports and reflects the international scope of the Church's attacks against
      the civil rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

      If you live near the District of Columbia, we hope you'll join us at Luther
      place and be there in the courtroom for support. If you are from out of
      town
      in wish to be there with us, we have provided lodging information below.

      If you can't support us in person, any contributions to the "defense fund"
      will
      be greatly appreciated to help offset the court costs, the fines, and the
      costs
      of flying back and forth to D.C.

      Email Kara@... if you are planning to join us in the courtroom on
      Friday morning or stand vigil with us in D.C. We need to have an idea of
      how
      many people we need to plan for. Thank you!

      DETAILS:

      OUR HOME BASE

      Our Gathering Place (Home base) before and after the trial:
      Luther Place
      1226 Vermont Ave
      Washington DC

      We will be gathering there for briefings and instructions at 2 PM Thursday
      for
      vigiling at the USCCB offices that afternoon, 7:30 AM Friday, and 10AM
      Saturday
      morning to go to the Holocaust Museum special exhibit.

      Luther Place is at Thomas Circle. MacPherson Square is the closest metro
      stop
      -Orange & Blue Line, then walk north on 14th or Vermont to the north end of
      Thomas Circle or taking any 14th bus going North and get off at N Street.

      LODGING

      If you are coming in from outside the beltway, the Red Roof Inn has plenty
      of
      availability for the dates 1/23, 24, 25 and 26, if you need a place to stay.
      Right now, the rate is $89.99 with a special internet rate of $80.99.

      Details for the hotel are:

      500 H Street Northwest
      Washington, DC 20001
      Inn Phone: (202) 289-5959
      Inn Fax: (202)289-0754
      For reservations call:
      1 800 RED ROOF

      Here's the web link
      http://www.redroof.com/reservations/inn_details.asp?innNumber=254 Red
      Roof
      Inn - Washington DC Downtown
      If you'd prefer less expensive housing, we've found these two other
      possibilities:
      William Penn House
      515 East Capitol Street, SE
      Washington, DC 20003
      (202) 543-5560
      dirpennhouse@...
      $35/night
      Reservations requirements are here:
      www.quaker.org/penn-house/lodging.htm
      Hostelling International - Washington, DC
      1009 11th Street, NW
      Washington, DC 20001
      (202) 737-2333
      reserve@...
      $29/night (non AYH members) $26/night (AYH member)
      Reservations requirements are listed here:
      www.hiwashingtondc.org/reservations.htm
      HOLOCAUST MUSEUM
      On Saturday, Jan. 25th, we'll be visiting the Holocaust Museum's new exhibit
      about the Nazi persecution of homosexuals. Those who came to the D.C. 2000
      direct action will remember that we paid a visit there during that time.
      together.

      NAZI PERSECUTION OF HOMOSEXUALS 1933-1945 -- Through March 16 at the U.S.
      Holocaust Memorial Museum, 100 Raoul Wallenberg Place (15th Street) SW -
      (Metro: Smithsonian). 202-488-0400. www.ushmm.org/museum/exhibit/online/hsx
      .

      Open 10 to 5:30 daily, except Christmas. No tickets are required for the
      special exhibition; same-day passes to the permanent Holocaust exhibit are
      available at the museum; advance passes available by calling 800-400-9373 or
      Tickets.com (service charge added).