FW: THE LIST: Is O'Reilly a Bad Christian?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2002
      FYI

      PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SUBSCIBE IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE THIS INFORMATION
      REGULARLY.
      THE LIST
      August 29, 2002

      As I'm still on vacation, this will be an abbreviated version of my
      usual update - i.e., going to give you more links and fewer words :-)

      1. Religious Right says O'Reilly is a bad Catholic
      2. And he's a bad conservative, to boot
      3. New York Times to print gay marriage announcements
      4. The demise of the AIDS Ride
      5. Big gay church in the news
      6. Anti-gay Sydney Archbishop gets his comeuppance
      7. The homo, bi, trans mafia
      8. StopDrLaura.com is back

      ---------------------

      1. RELIGIOUS RIGHT: O'REILLY A BAD CATHOLIC
      No great surprise that Bill O'Reilly's upcoming interview in the gay
      magazine, The Advocate (which I reported on two days ago) has provoked a
      vicious reaction from the religious right. But even I was a bit shocked
      at how nasty they stooped today (August 29, 2002) in a radio interview
      conducted by the Concerned Women for America (CWFA), a lead religious
      right lobbying group. Here are some samples:

      -- Stephen Bennett, Ex-gay who will be speaking officially on behalf of
      CWFA in the coming months:
      "[To] continually refer to himself as a Christian, as an Irish Catholic,
      I think that many people are offended by Bill's statement to be a
      Christian as well as an Irish Catholic... For a man to come right out
      and say that he does not believe in the Old Testament... I think that
      many Catholics across this nation as well as the world are offended by
      Bill O'Reilly claiming he's an Irish Catholic."

      -- Sandy Rios, President of CWFA, on O'Reilly
      "The Bible says that my people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
      Bill is an exemplary example of the American Christian who does not know
      what God's word said, he does not know."

      -- Bob Knight of CWFA on O'Reilly
      "He's confused... on this issue, he can't find his voice, he kind of
      stumbles when he addresses it.... Then he goes and slams people like us
      and says, well they're fanatics."

      -- Sandy Rios, head of CWFA, on O'Reilly
      "He's very confused."

      -- Bob Knight of CWFA on O'Reilly
      "So he doesn't believe in heaven and hell. It didn't mater that Jesus
      sacrificed his life on the cross. This is a very extreme statement...
      that the whole idea of hell is ridiculous."

      -- Stephen Bennett on gays and kids:
      "Ths is about the children... Honestly, the homosexual agenda is after
      America's children."

      (Now why would anyone call these nice people fanatics?) You can hear the
      CWFA
      interview yourself online here (you'll need RealPlayer to hear it):
      http://radio.cwfa.org/play.cgi?20020829

      This is my article about the upcoming Advocate interview (and don't
      forget to get the Advocate issue when it hits the newsstands September 3
      (though if you subscribe, it may already be in your mailbox)):
      http://uspolitics.about.com/library/weekly/aa082802a.htm

      ---------------------

      2. RELIGIOUS RIGHT: O'REILLY NOT A LEGIT CONSERVATIVE
      Religious right spokesman Stephen Bennett, who will be working on behalf
      of the Concerned Women for America in the coming months, had this to say
      about O'Reilly's upcoming Advocate interview:

      BEGIN QUOTE

      Bill O'Reilly has long been lifted up as the conservative's champion and
      spokesperson. However, in his quest of popularity, on this issue of
      homosexuality, O'Reilly has shocked and disappointed many viewers and
      supporters who put him where he is today. He has been elevated to a
      position by conservative America that was never intended, and viewers
      may have put 'too much trust' into this man. According to an O'Reilly
      insider who asked not to be named, 'The Factor' is not what people think
      it is... "Bill O'Reilly and The Factor is about two things... ratings and
      entertainment." And as stated by another unnamed source, "...the real guy
      you're all looking for here is Sean Hannity. This guy is genuine -- and
      legit." After the commentary below, see the link for Bill O'Reilly's
      upcoming interview in the September issue of the national gay Magazine
      'The Advocate' - sharing all of his pro-gay views, and mocking comments
      towards Bible believing Christians - the 'fanatical' religious right who
      should just be '...ignored' - sadly, you won't believe what he says.

      END QUOTE

      You can read Bennett's full diatribe against O'Reilly, and the media
      more generally, here (it's a keeper):
      http://www.sbministries.org/commentary082002.html

      ---------------------

      3. NYT TO PRINT GAY MARRIAGE ANNOUNCEMENTS
      Three cheers for the New York Times, which announced recently that it
      will begin printing gay unions, marriages, or whatever you like to call
      them on its marriage announcement page. The religious right is
      apoplectic, and for good reason. This sends a message to every newspaper
      in the country that it's ok to recognize gay unions as worthy.
      Interestingly, a number of you contacted me to let me know that a paper
      in North Carolina has been printing such announcements for a while now -
      so it's not always the big cities that take the lead on gay issues. Who
      knew?

      ---------------------

      4. THE DEMISE OF THE AIDSRIDE
      Well, maybe not the demise of the entire ride, but the demise of Pallota
      Team Works, the company that has been running the ride for a number of
      years. There have been complaints and complaints and more complaints
      about the fact that sometimes Pallota takes a very large percentage of
      the ride's proceeds, leaving only a small amount for the non-profit AIDS
      groups who are supposed to benefit. Pallota counters by saying it costs
      a lot to run the ride, which is probably true as they put thousands of
      people up each night in tents, feed them, showers, the logistics of
      doing this, etc. Nonetheless, with the recent DC ride, expenses
      reportedly ate up 86% of the $3.6 million raised. You can read more
      about the controversy here:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11-2002Aug26.html
      http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-pallotta28aug28.story (requires
      free registration)

      ---------------------

      5. GAY CHURCH IN THE NEWS
      There was a great article in the Washington Post recently about the
      Cathedral of Hope, the gigantic gay church (or mostly-gay) in Dallas.
      One point I found particularly telling in the article was that the
      religious right apparently protests at the church, and in the church -
      talk about sacrilege. Check out this snippet from the Post:

      "The Sunday mornings are not always peaceful: The Christian right and
      anti-gay groups have trained their ire on the church, picketing outside
      and occasionally infiltrating the sanctuary to shout slogans. 'I'd call
      it a synagogue of Satan,' said John Reyes, head of the Dallas office of
      Operation Rescue/Operation Save America. 'It's a monstrosity.' But as
      the church has tripled and quadrupled in size, the critics have been
      able to muster only a dozen or 20 protesters sporadically. The
      Cathedral of Hope, its services protected by a pair of uniformed police
      and a sprinkling of officers in plain clothes, has shrugged and moved
      on."

      Imagine having to undercover cops in your church to protect yourselves
      against "pro-family Christians," as they like to call themselves. And
      they call us an abomination.

      Here's the rest of the Post article:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58081-2002Aug24.html

      ---------------------

      6. SYDNEY ARCHBISHOP ACCUSED OF MOLESTATIONS
      The archbishop of Sydney, an outspoken anti-gay activists in his own
      right, is now fighting off his own child molestation accusations. In
      the interest of time, I'll simply put the links to some good articles
      about the controversy. But I will say this. I've had enough of the
      Catholic leadership lecturing us about morals. Funny how so many of the
      most arch-anti-gay activists out there turn out to be majorly screwed up
      mental cases.

      Archbishop denies child-sex allegations
      http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/20/1029114108371.html

      'Big George would grab me from behind and molest me'
      http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/20/1029114108374.html

      Pell accused, and it could be shattering for the church
      http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/20/1029114108377.html

      Pell's path
      http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/20/1029114108485.html

      ---------------------

      7. THE HOMOSEXUAL, BISEXUAL, TRANSSEXUAL MAFIA
      Speaking of majorly screwed up morals, it seems that religious right
      leaders in Miami - the ones behind the effort to rescind Miami's gay
      rights law - are being accused by local election officials of violating
      campaign finance laws. (You'll recall that FOX's Bill O'Reilly recently
      told the Advocate that he didn't think the Miami gay rights law should
      be rescinded.) Again, I'm telling you, there is something messed up
      about a straight person who spends his entire life worrying about gay
      people (you know who you are out there). These people are sick little
      puppies. And so much for their family values lectures. I don't recall
      one of the Commandments being "Thou shalt break the law in my name."

      More on this story here:
      http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/3944103.htm

      And apparently, lawyers for the arrested folks are blaming this entire
      thing on the "homosexual, bisexual and transsexual mafia." (I am not
      making this up). Which got me thinking - what would a gay, bi, trans
      mafia be like? Instead of cement shoes, giving your enemies really bad
      makeovers and forcing them to visit a Kmart? (Just kidding, I love
      Kmart).

      You can read more about the HBT mafia here - very funny story:
      http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/3925432.htm

      ---------------------

      8. STOPDRLAURA.COM IS BACK
      I can't recall if I didn't or didn't tell folks that StopDrLaura.com is
      back. We relaunched it a few months ago to serve as an archive, and a
      bit of gay history. You can visit it now at StopDrLaura.com

      ---------------------

      And that's it for now. Pending another religious right bimbo eruption
      about O'Reilly, you shouldn't hear from me until next week. And make
      sure you buy the new Advocate next Tuesday, the one with O'Reilly in it.
      The article is gonna be good :-)

      JOHN in DC (but really at the beach)

      Copyright 2002 John Aravosis
      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

      USEFUL GAY SITES:
      http://uspolitics.about.com/cs/gayrights/
      http://uspolitics.about.com/cs/gayyouthissues/

      GAY POLITICS BOARD:
      http://forums.about.com/ab-uspolitics2/messages/?lgnf=y&msg=2.1

      "In Germany, the Nazis first came for the Communists, and I didn't speak
      up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I
      didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade
      unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then
      they came for the Catholics, but I didn't speak up because I was a
      Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left
      to speak up for me."

      - Martin Niemoeller, Berlin Lutheran pastor arrested by the Gestapo and
      sent to Dachau concentration camp in 1938; the Allied forces freed him
      seven years later.

      http://www.yahoo.com/group/Exex-gay
      "There is the illusion that homosexuals only have sex and heterosexuals fall
      in love.. Boy George"

      "My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
      forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be accepted,
      celebrated, and lived with integrity." Mel White author of Stranger at the
      Gate.

      "Homosexuality is actually a privileged spiritual path and natural mode of
      human expression that our Souls have chosen in order to help us discover the
      true power and magnificence of our Authentic Selves".
      David Owen Ritz