FW: SOULFORCE UPDATE: August 28, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2002
      From: Soulforce [mailto:journey@...]
      Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 8:37 AM
      Subject: SOULFORCE UPDATE: August 28, 2002

      Dear Soulforce supporters,

      As you are aware, Soulforce currently has 16 licensed Soulforce Local Groups
      throughout the United States. We feel that this grassroots work is so
      important, and we want to make sure everyone knows what is going on
      nationally
      and locally on the Soulforce scene.

      Starting today, we are going to begin sending you our weekly updates to keep
      you informed of this important work.

      WE ARE GROWING - COME GROW WITH US!.

      August 28, 2002 - Soulforce Weekly Update

      ON THE NATIONAL SCENE:

      * There are two Soulforce actions this fall: Back to Lynchburg October 25-27
      and on to the Catholic Bishops Conference in Washington DC November 10-14.
      Don't forget to sign up online! www.soulforce.org
      * If you are interested in starting a local group in your area, or want to
      find
      out if there is one in your area, see
      http://www.soulforce.org/main/localgroups.shtml

      ON THE LOCAL GROUP SCENE WE HAVE NEWS FROM:

      * Soulforce Detroit
      * Soulforce In Oklahoma
      * Soulforce Wisconsin

      SOULFORCE DETRIOT

      Soulforce Detroit continues their dialogue efforts with the Ferndale Police
      Department and with Rev. Hanson who is chaplain with the FPD.

      Soulforce Detroit leader Jennifer Adriel stated that they have sent their
      final
      letter to Pastor Hanson asking him to give a public apology to the GLBT
      community for the comments he made at a Ferndale City Council Meeting. They
      are
      now considering what their next move should be and trying to decide if
      direct
      action is in order. For more information on this situation, go to
      http://www.soulforce.org/detroit/index.shtml .

      Soulforce Detroit also mailed out over 150 invitations to community
      organizations and churches inviting them to attend an Introduction to
      Soulforce
      meeting for Monday, August 26th. We will be anxious this next week to hear
      how
      the meeting went!

      Soulforce Detroit was also featured in an article in the newspaper "Between
      the
      Lines" on August 15th. You can read it on line on their webpage at
      http://www.soulforce.org/detroit/messages/9.html . They received great
      response
      from the article. They are very appreciative of the help Laura Montgomery
      Rutt
      gave them with the article. Also, a GLBT cable TV station in Ann Arbor,
      Michigan has asked Soulforce Detroit to do an interview with them. The date
      and
      time is yet to be announced.

      A local Michigan MCC Church voted to support Soulforce Detroit by giving
      them
      office and meeting space, use of their copy machine, and a tax shelter until
      they are able to get their own 501 (c) 3! Congratulations Soulforce Detroit!

      Both Jennifer and Erin say that things are happening so fast that it is
      making
      their heads spin! But, they are not complaining!

      Congratulations Soulforce Detroit and thanks for all you are doing for
      soulforce! So everyone, that is what is happening in Detroit...

      SOULFORCE IN OKLAHOMA:

      The 17-Step study group began on Wednesday, August 21st in Oklahoma City and
      their were six people in attendance. "It was a good start said," study
      leaders
      Philippe Beaudette and Debbie Stovall. They are hoping for more in
      attendance
      at their next meeting scheduled for Wednesday, September 4th.

      Soulforce In Oklahoma is gearing up for their next vigil at Village Baptist
      Church in Oklahoma City on Sunday, September 8th. To read more about the
      vigils
      go to http://www.soulforce.org/oklahoma/index.shtml or visit the Soulforce
      In
      Oklahoma website at www.SoulforceInOklahoma.org .

      Soulforce In Oklahoma continues to dialogue with Grace Fellowship Church,
      Tulsa
      (home of Restoration by Grace which is an ex-gay ministry) and First Baptist
      Church, Tulsa.

      Check out their new WebPages at www.SoulforceInOklahoma.org . entitled,
      "What
      Is Spiritual Violence?" and "Words Of Encouragement."

      SOULFORCE WISCONSIN

      Soulforce Wisconsin leader, Steven Webster continues to stay on top of the
      "dialogue" discussion of the Wisconsin United Methodists. As they stay busy
      discussing "dialogue" Steven stays busy reminding them of Soulforce
      principles
      and living out Soulforce's mission. Read about Soulforce Wisconsin's work at
      http://www.soulforce.org/wisconsin/ and link to their website at
      http://soulforcewi.tripod.com/ . Steven just sent out an email to the e-mail
      newslist of the Wisconsin United Federation for Social Action - a key group
      of
      "progressives" in their Conference. If you have not read the email, ask
      Steven
      to forward it to you.

      Also, the Wisconsin United Federation for Social Action is the group that
      awarded Steven the "Perry Saito Award" for prophetic ministry. The award
      cited,
      among other accomplishments, his organizing of Soulforce Wisconsin.
      Congratulations Steven!

      DEVELOPING LOCAL GROUPS

      There have been two requests this week for Local Group Start Up Kits. One
      from
      New York City and the other from Austin, Texas.

      Thanks to all of you at the grassroots level for all you are doing to work
      for
      justice for GLBT and for all.

      In love and peace,

      Karen Weldin
      Local Groups Coordinator/
      Director of Operations
      August 28, 2002

      (Edited by Laura Montgomery Rutt)

      ---------------end text ------------------------

      For more information on Soulforce, Inc., see http://www.soulforce.org

      And remember, everything we do costs money and we do a lot with the money
      our
      supporters donate to us. Thank you so much for your support!

      To donate online, go to
      http://www.soulforce.org/shopsite_sc/store/html/join.html#donation

      http://www.yahoo.com/group/Exex-gay
      "There is the illusion that homosexuals only have sex and heterosexuals fall
      in love.. Boy George"

      "My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
      forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be accepted,
      celebrated, and lived with integrity." Mel White author of Stranger at the
      Gate.

      "Homosexuality is actually a privileged spiritual path and natural mode of
      human expression that our Souls have chosen in order to help us discover the
      true power and magnificence of our Authentic Selves".
      David Owen Ritz