RE: [Exex-gay] Seeking personal stories of ex-gay ministry experiences.

    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 3, 2011

      Hey Jan…..welcome……it can be difficult getting people for this kind of research from my experience…..people that have left have often been traumatized and down want to think about it let alone talk about it…………hope it goes well for you.

      Anthony Venn-Brown

      An Ambassador for the LGBT Community

      Author of 'A Life of Unlearning - A Journey to Find the Truth'

      Co-convenor of Freedom 2 b[e]

      Honoured to be on the 2007 & 2009 list of the  25 Most Influential Gay & Lesbian Australians

      Tel: + 61 (0)2 9699 2448  Mobile: +61 (0)416 015 231

      Blog: http://gayambassador.blogspot.com/

      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gayambassador

      Twitter https://twitter.com/gayambassador

      YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/gayambassador

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
        Hi Anthony,

        I certainly understand that these experiences can be very negative - that is part of the reason I think they are so important!  Hopefully someone will be willing to share.  Thanks for the well wishes - if you ever feel like sharing your story or thoughts with me, I would love to talk with you.

        All the best,

        Jan

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
          Hi...I disagree Anthony.  I volunteered to tell my story...I am nothing specila - there are many people out there just like me.  Its about time this type of research was done!

          Blessings +++

          +William

          YouTube< span style="font-size:10.0pt;color:black;"> Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/gayambassador

        • warrenhartley@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 5, 2011
            Hi Jan,

            This does sound like a very interesting project. I would be interested in hearing more about it and what might be involved. I live in the UK now, wondered if you were looking for people closer to Canada.

            Kind Regards

            Warren

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 6, 2011

                That’s great William……good on you.

                Can I ask what country you are in.

                Anthony Venn-Brown

                Professional Coach, Speaker & LGBT Consultant

                Author of 'A Life of Unlearning - A Journey to Find the Truth'

                Convenor of Freedom 2 b[e]

                Honoured to be on the 2007 & 2009 list of the  25 Most Influential Gay & Lesbian Australians

                T: + 61 (0)2 9699 2448

                M: +61 (0)416 015 231

                E: anthony@...

                W: www.anthonyvennbrown.com

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 6, 2011
                        • 1 Attachment
                        • 47 KB
                        Attachment failed!  Sorry - here is the consent form.

                        Jan

                        This does sound like a very interesting project. I would be interested in hearing more about it and what might be involved. I live in the UK now, wondered if you were looking for people closer to Canada.

                        Kind Regards

                        Warren

                        --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Venn-Brown" <anthony@...> wrote:

                        > Hey Jan...welcome..it can be difficult getting people for this kind of
                        > research from my experience...people that have left have often been
                        > traumatized and down want to think about it let alone talk about it....hope
                        > it goes well for you.
                        >

                        > Anthony Venn-Brown
                        >
                        > An Ambassador for the LGBT Community
                        >
                        > Author of <http://www.anthonyvennbrown.com/book.html> 'A Life of Unlearning
                        > - A Journey to Find the Truth'
                        >
                        > Co-convenor of <http://www.freedom2b.org/> Freedom 2 b[e]
                        >
                        > Honoured to be on the 2007 & 2009 list of the
                        > <http://www.samesame.com.au/25/2007/AnthonyVennBrown> 25 Most Influential
                        > Gay & Lesbian Australians
                        >
                        > Tel: + 61 (0)2 9699 2448 Mobile: +61 (0)416 015 231
                        >
                        > Blog: <http://gayambassador.blogspot.com/>
                        > http://gayambassador.blogspot.com/
                        >
                        > Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/gayambassador>
                        > http://www.facebook.com/gayambassador
                        >
                        > Twitter <https://twitter.com/gayambassador>
                        > https://twitter.com/gayambassador
                        >
                        > YouTube Channel <http://www.youtube.com/user/gayambassador>
                        > http://www.youtube.com/user/gayambassador
                        >
                        > Website: <http://lgbttraining.blogspot.com/>
                        > http://lgbttraining.blogspot.com/

                          [Attachment(s) from Jan Gelech included below]

                            Message 14 of 17 , Feb 6, 2011

                              Sorry…..I am a bit confused now. I believe that the research was about people who had attended ex-gay programs and thought you said

                              I volunteered to tell my story...I am nothing special - there are many people out there just like me.  Its about time this type of research was done!

                              ….am I missing something?

                              Message 15 of 17 , Mar 14, 2011
                                Hi Anthony,

                                Yes I think it is my first posting to this. I've been following/lurking on this group for several years really. I fear I'm not very good at posting to groups and sharing my story but I'm just starting to be able to feel a bit more free in sharing some elements of it. Been a long slow process. I promised you I some years back I would put my story up on Freedom2b and I still haven't done that as sitting and writing even a short section can be so very difficult. I shall fulfil that promise one day though Anthony.

                                Hope all is well and that you had a good birthday.

                                Best wishes

                                Message 16 of 17 , Mar 16, 2011

                                  Hey Warren…….I guess your experience once again reinforces just how deep the trauma can be……lasting for many years.

                                  The thing that drove me to tell my story and live through the trauma again and again whilst writing and editing was that I knew it had to be told and would help others like yourself……..and I didn’t want one single person to go through what I went through.

                                  Maybe that motivation of wanting to make a difference……and helping others will assist you when you are ready/