Ex-gays in decline in Australia

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010

      I’m sure many of you will find my recent article interesting.

      Is my strategy working?

      For the last 10 years I’ve had a strategy. Possibly it’s working.

      Many of you will know that one of my goals is to work towards the day when  ex-gay style ministries eventually cease to exist in Australia. My firm belief is that the enemy we must fight against is ignorance. Ex-gay ministries are run by well intentioned people that attract people tortured by the perceived conflict between their faith and sexuality. So the fundamental problem is not people; it is ignorance about sexual orientation and the historical and cultural contexts of half a dozen bible verses. If we attack the real enemy, ignorance, then eventually ‘ex-gay’ ministries will have no referrals or inquires. It’s like we have killed the tree at the roots. Maybe here in Australia we are closer to that than we realise. (see below)

      Read the rest of the article on my blog

      Anthony Venn-Brown

      An Ambassador for the LGBT Community

      Author of 'A Life of Unlearning - A Journey to Find the Truth'

      Co-convenor of Freedom 2 b[e]

      Honoured to be on the 2007 & 2009 list of the  25 Most Influential Gay & Lesbian Australians

      Tel: + 61 (0)2 9699 2448  Mobile: +61 (0)416 015 231

      Blog: http://alifeofunlearning.blogspot.com/

      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gayambassador

      Twitter https://twitter.com/gayambassador

      Website: http://lgbttraining.blogspot.com/

      YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/avb7

    • Rev. Ninure D. Saunders
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2010

        Great article!

        I really, really wish there was a way for you to come to the USA!!

        Pax Christi,
        Ninure Saunders aka Rainbow Christian
        My Blog
        http://blog.myspace.com/rainbow_christian
        Be my Friend on MySpace:
        http://www.myspace.com/reloc.cfm?c=2&id=a75aba99-1279-4e87-8cfc-b359823723ec
        ===========================
        "All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; Second, it is violently opposed; Third, it is accepted as self-evident." -- Arthur Schopenhauer

        People often say with pride, “I’m not interested in politics.” They might as well say, “I’m not interested in my standard of living, my health, my job, my rights, my freedoms, my future, or any future.”
        — Martha Gellhorn, writer/journalist (1908-1998

        Live simply. Love generously.
        Care deeply. Speak kindly.
        Leave the rest to God.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2010
            I'm sure you've made a difference Anthony.

            You already know that I was never in a specific ex-gay program, so my only experience was in the "normal" anti-gay crap of church comment. Of course, the witnesses verge toward 'cultism" (in the modern sense) and have developed some refined methods to place pressure on individuals. However, I managed to avoid all that, and maintain some personal integrity, until the final crisis, which only had one possible outcome anywya (smile)

            So it's been interesting watching you develop and implement the strategy.

            I'm hoping that you can succeed in changing the mind-set of those in the lead, at least here in OZ. But, I do think that there will then be a lot of pressure from other places on these people.

            But my best wishes for you "way".

            kenni

            PS: I found an interesting piece of investigative journalism from the UK, that I will post later.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2010

              Thanks Kenni

              Anthony Venn-Brown

              Professional Coach, Speaker & LGBT Consultant

              Author of 'A Life of Unlearning - A Journey to Find the Truth'

              Convenor of Freedom 2 b[e]

              Honoured to be on the 2007 & 2009 list of the  25 Most Influential Gay & Lesbian Australians

              T: + 61 (0)2 9699 2448

              M: +61 (0)416 015 231

              E: anthony@...

              W: www.anthonyvennbrown.com