Re: Is it okay for a genuinely spiritual guy to like gay porn?

  • edward d
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 5, 2010
      David,

      I hope that one day you have the experience of having sex at a spiritual level.

      kenni

      --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davidaltlove@...> wrote:
      Anthony and everyone else:

      Thanks for your replies. A lot of good ideas here. Here is my response
      to your posts:
      I think when people have sex they are operating on an animal level (sex drive built into us, physical thrusting, groaning) AND a human level (love, compassion) at the same time. I don't think you can separate the animal from the human with sex. I really don't. Sex is part of our animal nature but it also has a higher purpose of emotional and spiritual oneness.

      In this sense, "objectifying" people is mixed in with our higher human
      impulses of love and compassion. For example, if you look across the
      room at a stranger who is beautiful, you are "objectifying" that person because you don't know them. But does that make you a bad person? I don't think so. Because your ultimate goal may be to want to create love with person. Or, at the least, treat that person humanely.

      I agree that people shouldn't be treated as objects -- because this
      means treating them badly. But I think do-gooders in academia and the
      media have gone overboard with this idea of "objectifying" people.
      Feminists usually use this term. But don't you think those same women
      judge men and women according to their height, weight, wealth and penis size? Many do. So there is an hypocrisy here.

      In conclusion, some objectifying is normal and a part of our life and
      animal nature. What is important is that people are treated respectfully and humanely. Watching porn is normal objectifying as long as a person isn't addicted to it and has it all in perspective.
      Watching porn is all about admiring the beauty of the physicality of ourselves. If you get too caught up in this "objectifying" notion, then you are denying the beauty of the physical. A sculpture of a naked man is, in a sense, objectifying because we never know the emotions of the man who modeled for the sculpture. But does anyone really believe that sculptures of naked men are bad? What would Michelangelo think of this?

      Ideally, the best sex is between two people who love each other. I get
      that. But this ideal can't be used to deny the beauty of the physical.

      Check out this article. I think it takes an honest and somewhat
      balanced, though lusty, approach:

      "I love how pornography categorically and systematically rejects
      mindless obedience to generations of sexual repression." by Don Shewey
      at nightcharm.com <http://nightcharm.com/features/rosethorn/index.html>

      Thanks for your comments everyone.

      David
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 9, 2010
        This is something that I wrestle with. I say that for I do use it yet it honestly does not sit well with me. Sure it can make you feel more comfortable sexually but as well can open up doors that honestly were never meant to be open (name your fetish). And if you are to be honest it is all about idolatry. Meaning the desiring the lusting after another whether it is a part of his or her body or the longing the desire to have what is being done, done to you.

        Way too often I have seen how porn has hindered relationships (straight and gay) for either the partner does not measure up or one extends their sexual energy and release on porn and not truly giving to the other person. I also know that in the gay community there is an anything goes mentality that does not sit well if one is a person of faith (most any faith) where porn is seen as natural in fact normal. Would love to hear others stance on porn and how it works with ones faith.
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 9, 2010

          Possibly the word ‘porn’ is way too general Jeff. I mean we hear terms such as soft porn……X rated ……triple X rated……and some really heavy S&M stuff. All this is porn.

          For me…..I always ask the question…….does this serve me. In other words is this helping me…..am I demonstrating respect for myself and others. It probably would be good to add that porn has never really been an issue for me or interest of mine either during my closeted life or after coming out. I know for some people who are closeted it can become an addiction. I guess I’d have to say in that situation………it doesn’t serve the person.

          We had a discussion about this on our Freedom 2 b[e] forum. http://www.freedom2b.org/topic/346 that might interest you and quotes some articles.

          I believe some couples use porn in their relationship and it helps.

          Freedom 2 B(e)