RE: [Exex-gay] A chance encounter?

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 20, 2009

      No worries Pete……..I should have said that the AOG no longer exists as a name in Aussie any more……..its been changed as you mentioned to ACC.

      Freedom 2 B(e)

      From: bptimlin@... <bptimlin@...>
      To: Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, November 20, 2009, 12:12 PM

      Pardon my stupidity - what is AOG?

      Pete Zayonce
      m: 0410248621
      e: pete.zayonce@...

      "I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody."
      – Lily Tomlin

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 20, 2009

        Hey Rick…….do you know about our Freedom 2 b[e]  forum.

        Anthony Venn-Brown

        Co-founder and Convenor of freedom 2 b[e]

        Networking GLBTI People from Pentecostal, Charismatic and Evangelical Backgrounds

        Connection - Support - Information - Dialogue

        We have a website: www.freedom2b.org ...and an online community

        You can email us at: info@...

        PO Box 901 | Surry Hills NSW | 2010 | Australia

        Patrons

        The Hon Michael Kirby AC CMG

        The Rev. Dorothy McRae McMahon

        (Awarded the Australian Government Peace Award and the Human Rights Medal)

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 21, 2009
          Now that you mention it, yeah.

          ===========================

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 21, 2009
            Thank you :)

            In a message dated 11/20/2009 3:31:39 P.M. Central Standard Time, anthony@... writes:

            Sorry……acronyms are poor communication.

            AOG……Assemblies of God.

            Anthony Venn-Brown

            An Ambassador for the GLBT Community

            Award winning author of 'A Life of Unlearning - A Journey to Find the Truth'

            Co-convenor of Freedom 2 b[e]

            Honoured to be on the inaugural list of the  25 Most Influential Gay & Lesbian Australians

            "The enemy is ignorance"

            "My morality is a choice, my sexual orientation however isn't'

            'When we choose to live authentically, we chip away at others' prisons of pretend'

            Blog: http://alifeofunlea rning.blogspot. com/

            Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook .com/gayambassad or

            Become a fan of 'A Life of Unlearning' on Facebook

            Follow me on Twitter https://twitter. com/gayambassado r

            My YouTube Channel is here

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 24, 2009
              Boy does this bother me. Recently, a representative for a VERY high-profile
              public figure in America made a lot of noise referencing his "ex-gay" friend who
              purportedly found Jesus and "left the lifestyle," et al, et cetera. This was
              fairly BIG news in the gay blogosphere for a while.

              The weird, very weird, problem for me is that I knew this "ex-gay" friend this
              guy was talking about. I had sex with him 18 years ago, when I was my 27 and the
              fellow was 42 -- well AFTER he dedicated himself to serving ex-gay ministries.

              This has forced me to look back and contemplate how absurd this all was. I got
              the guy's name and phone number via my local chapter of Exodus, and he actually
              worked for a church in Northern California at the time, in addition to being a
              spokesman for "ex-gay" philosophy. He was quite passionate about it, writing
              angry editorials denouncing the gay rights movement as "the sodomy movement."
              But he was also quite clever in stating, even publicly, that he was "not fully
              healed." Apparently that seems to have been his excuse to have his cake and eat
              it too. I myself was going back-and-forth on whether to pursue the ex-gay trip,
              and even before I went to visit him, we talked about the possibility of engaging
              in some form of physical interaction that may or may not become sexual.

              The night that I got there we shared a bed, and did a little of fooling around
              before we both went to sleep. I enjoyed it, he enjoyed it, but we both felt very
              conflicted, so that was the relationship didn't go further.

              The guy is not anything like a manipulative sociopath; he did many good works
              helping the needy in his life, and did so with sincere dedication. Rather, he
              seemed to epitomize the anguished split mentality that many of us who have ever
              contemplated ex-gayism go through. When I contacted him again a year and a half
              later, we considered getting together for a possible relationship, but then he
              told me that an angel in a dream said not to. The follow-up calls I had with him
              led me to believe that his life seemed to be falling apart, and today I fear may
              not even be around anymore.

              Hence, even though I could make headlines telling the world my story, and my
              relationship with this man, I am reluctant to do so because few journalists or
              bloggers would treat this issue with the sensitivity it deserves. Conservatives,
              meanwhile, would claim I was lying. And furthermore, I don't want me gaining
              public recognition for a sex scandal, rather than for my talents and
              accomplishments. But I feel creeped out, still, that this representative of this
              extremely high-profile public figure, addressing an large conservative audience
              in the media, would be essentially promoting a blatant lie about somebody I
              happen to know.

              Frustrating.

            • Rick
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 24, 2009
                AOG = Assembly Of God

                Anthony: Great article. However, I'm in the US and I'm afraid that Pentecostals here might be a year or two behind you in that respect.

                --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, bptimlin@... wrote:

                > Pardon my stupidity - what is AOG?
                >

                > In a message dated 11/19/2009 11:23:07 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                > anthony@... writes:
                >

                > Hey Rick…..how great to have you post and particularly to hear your
                > encouraging story.
                > It is happening more and more often these days…….I wonder if you’ve read
                > the latest post on my blog……..I’m not sure if you are AOG in Aussie or
                > another country.
                > Here is the post……..FYI.
                > _Why Australian Pentecostals Will Embrace GLBT People_
                > (http://alifeofunlearning.blogspot.com/2009/11/why-australian-pentecostals-will_11.html)
                >
                > Anthony
                > Moderator
                > _http://groups.http://grohttp://grouhtt_
                > My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
                > forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be accepted,
                > celebrated, and lived with integrity.
                > _Freedom 2 B(e)_ (http://www.freedom2b.org/)
                > Support - Information - Dialogue for GLBTIQ People from
                > Pentecostal/Support - Information - Dialog_www.freedom2b.www_
                > (mip://0444b5a8/www.freedom2b.org)

              • Rick
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 24, 2009
                  Yes Anthony, I'm a member there also.

                  A quick update to my story. The young woman returned again this past Sunday. This time her son came with her, as well as her daughter and sister. Her son is a pleasant young man, not what I was expecting at all. For some reason I expected him to be a somewhat sullen. However, he's very friendly and a bit shy.

                  Anyhow, hoping good things come from their participation.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 24, 2009

                    Yep.....its a uniquely Aussie thing......I’ve had quite a bit to do with US culture over the years.....and currently here actually.

                    You guys in the US have quite a few hurdles to get over.....but.....there are still some good things happening behind the scenes......believe me.

                    Anthony Venn-Brown

                    Professional Coach, Speaker and Author of 'A Life of Unlearning - A Journey to Find the Truth'

                    Convenor of Freedom 2 b[e]

                    Honoured to be on the inaugural list of the  25 Most Influential Gay & Lesbian Australians

                    Tel: + 61 (0)2 9699 2448

                    Mobile: +61 (0)416 015 231

                    anthony@...

                    href="http://alifeofunlearning.blogspot.com/2009/11/why-australian-pentecostals-will_11.html">http://alifeofunlearning.blogspot.com/2009/11/why-australian-pentecostals-will_11.html)

                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 25, 2009

                      Certainly is a dilemma Korry.

                      On the one hand this gentleman is contributing to unnecessary suffering and even suicide. This is terrible and should be stopped. Our silence contributes to this. Every time we do something to deconstruct the ex-gay myth with hasten the day when these programs will be no more.

                      Then I think of myself on the other hand how I would have felt to be exposed. Having experienced exposure and scandal myself it’s not something I would wish on anyone. But then again it forced me out of denial and into reality. So today as a totally resolved gay man I am grateful it finally happened.

                      If I was in your situation I’d approach him first to let see where he is at. The best outcome would be that he would be honest himself.

                      I’ve just come from the ex-gay survivors conference in Florida……if you wanted  to make it public then I’d connect you with some of the guys there. Some I know would do the right thing with the info and be able to advise you. Others might handle it more sensationally and insensitively. If you want me to put you in contact with the right ones…..then email me privately and we can discuss it and I’ll put you in touch.

                      I wonder what others feel.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 25, 2009

                        That’s great news Rick…….things are changing.

                        Freedom 2 B(e)

                        A quick update to my story. The young woman returned again this past Sunday. This time her son came with her, as well as her daughter and sister. Her son is a pleasant young man, not what I was expecting at all. For some reason I expected him to be a somewhat sullen. However, he's very friendly and a bit shy.

                        Anyhow, hoping good things come from their participation.

                        --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Venn-Brown" <anthony@...> wrote:

                        > Hey Rick...do you know about our Freedom 2 b[e] forum.
                        >

                        > Anthony Venn-Brown
                        >
                        > Co-founder and Convenor of freedom 2 b[e]
                        >
                        > Networking GLBTI People from Pentecostal, Charismatic and Evangelical
                        > Backgrounds
                        >
                        > Connection - Support - Information - Dialogue
                        >
                        > We have a website: <http://www.freedom2b.org/>
                        www.freedom2b.org ...and an
                        > <http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/>
                        online community

                        > You can email us at: <mailto:info@...> info@...
                        >
                        > PO Box 901 | Surry Hills NSW | 2010 | Australia
                        >
                        > Patrons
                        >
                        > The Hon Michael Kirby AC CMG
                        >
                        > The Rev. Dorothy McRae McMahon
                        >
                        > (Awarded the Australian Government Peace Award and the Human Rights Medal)

                      • Korry Korry
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 26, 2009
                          I don't know even know if he is alive anymore. It is hard to look for him online because he has one of those ultra-commonplace anglo-names (i.e.; "John Smith") shared by millions of men in this world. But I do wonder if he is even alive anymore, if only because when we were last in touch, in 1992, his life seemed to completely falling apart; he was out of money, he left his job, he was homeless, and he complained that his friends had abandoned him --  yet while he might have convinced himself he was a victim of bad fortune, to me it seemed he was creating these circumstances almost to validate whatever internal self-loathing he carried with him and never surmounted. There was definitely something going on with a guy who during the day, as I witnessed, would give contemptuously anti-gay, self-righteously pro ex-gay interviews with the press, but then make-out with a guy (in this case, me) at night. I must say that this reflected my own internal divisions at the time, but looking back, it really does seem sick.

                          One of the things that has changed my outlook is the emergence of openly gay men who are such outstanding examples of citizenry; I think of the region where I used to live in America, Washington State, which has five openly gay legislators, who not only have outstanding, impressive academic and public service credentials, but in some cases, are raising children with their same-sex partners.  So these are men dedicated to serving their communities, both gay and straight, and are also committed same-sex spouses and responsible fathers, reaping all the rewards of raising good, loving, successful children.

                          So much for the big fat lie that being gay meant you'd live life as a social pariah, full of empty, sleazy sex, with no lasting relationships, and never knowing what it is to be a dad. Not that every gay man desires to be a father, but we now know that one does not have to go the ex-gay route in order to achieve both that and a committed, loving relationship.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 5, 2009
                            After much Google searching, I found that this individual -- this martyr-hero among conservative evangelicals and politicians for his showing the way to be "ex-gay" -- still has his ministry going, if only as a post office box address. I wrote to him over a week ago, asking him to e-mail me back. I still have not gotten a reply. More and more I am thinking of simply going forward and making a statement to the media.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 26, 2009

                                Hey Korry…..how is this progressing for you.

                                Anthony Venn-Brown

                                Professional Coach, Speaker and Author of 'A Life of Unlearning - A Journey to Find the Truth'

                                Convenor of Freedom 2 b[e]

                                Honoured to be on the 2007 & 2009 list of the  25 Most Influential Gay & Lesbian Australians

                                Tel: + 61 (0)2 9699 2448

                                Mobile: +61 (0)416 015 231

                                anthony@...

                                Wishing you the most wonderful Christmas with family and friends.

                                May 2010 be successful, exciting and fulfilling.

                                christmas-new-year-holidays2message