An offer to help =]

  • sam.honner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009
      Hey everyone!

      My name's Sam. I'm a bisexual man in a monogamous relationship with another man. I'm starting an outreach to other gay, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual and queer Christians who have had negative experiences with their religion, and especially those who were, or even now are, in the "Ex-gay" Christian movement (may God have mercy on them). I want to be able to help anyone who wants to be helped: not as a councillor, but as a brother in Christ.

      I'll note now, that by 'help', I mean giving an ear (well, an eye in this case) that will listen to what you need to talk about, a response to try to give you objective advice (if that's what is wanted), and an aid in prayer (both praying with and praying for).

      If anyone here has feelings of spiritual rejection, that God had abandoned you, that you have to be straight to be Christian, or who has experienced (or is experiencing) pain at the hands of 'Ex-gay' groups, and wants to work through these to try to come to a clearer, more accepting view of the way of Jesus Christ, then my service is for you!

      I will note two things that will be important for anyone considering contact with me to know:

      1. I'm 18 years old, and I know that people think this makes me unable to help them
      2. I come from a Christian Science background, although I'm completely non-denominational in my personal beliefs and my outreach.

      I've also had a past in the Baha'i Faith, as a "Christian Baha'i" (where I still considered Jesus as my Lord and Savior, but I enjoyed Baha'i Spirituality). This didn't last very long, however.

      I will not discriminate against denomination, gender (male, female, transitioning, androgyne, or otherwise), race, age, or anything else.

      I hope I can help!
      In Christ, Sam.
    • Coach Anthony
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009

        Hi Sam….welcome to the group an offer of help. As you may have noticed I’ve deleted some of your message with personal contact details.

        I didn’t really think it was appropriate to put those out to the group from someone who has just joined.

        There are now lots of support organisation out there to help people. Are you connected with any of those.

        Might be a good way to help you get underway. Your age might be some difficulty though…..unless you are working specifically with other young people.

        Freedom 2 B(e)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009
          Hey,
          Firstly, I'd like to clear up that the email address was not a personal email, it's something I've worked out of before for this cause.

          Yes, I am part of another group that tries to help people in my local area. We concentrate on personal, one-on-one spiritual help for those in such positions. Now, we're not on the internet yet, and because of our policy on personal help, we probably wont, and simply just send people on the internet. It is also our policy to be de-centralized and work out of buildings or organizations: we try to come to those in need, and be where people can easily see us.

          I'm not sure how many groups of ours are out there, but there's a founding document that binds us together. I think it's called "Coping With Corinthians", but I may be wrong.

          And having experienced people in these situations, I've learned that help is not always what some may consider appropriate. But, your group.

          Anyway, if you could please delete my original message, that would be good. I don't think it's a positive thing to have people in need see an offer for help, and have no way to get this.

          Just for the record, I've had many good results with older people who I've prayed with, and helped through some of the bad experiences they've had.

          God bless!
          -Sam

          --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, "Coach Anthony" <anthony.venn-brown@...> wrote:

          > Hi Sam..welcome to the group an offer of help. As you may have noticed I've
          > deleted some of your message with personal contact details.
          >

          > I didn't really think it was appropriate to put those out to the group from
          > someone who has just joined.
          >

          > There are now lots of support organisation out there to help people. Are you
          > connected with any of those.
          >

          > Might be a good way to help you get underway. Your age might be some
          > difficulty though...unless you are working specifically with other young
          > people.
          >

          > Anthony
          >
          > Moderator

          > My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
          > forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be accepted,
          > celebrated, and lived with integrity.
          >
          > Freedom 2 B(e) <http://www.freedom2b.org/>
          >
          > Support - Information - Dialogue for GLBTIQ People from
          > Pentecostal/Charismatic Backgrounds go to www.freedom2b.org

        • Coach Anthony
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009

            Hey Sam….thanks for that.

            I think you’ll probably find that you will be more successful by aligning yourself with an existing GLBT group. The main reason is for safety and secondly for credibility.

            We know that there are people out there who use groups such as ours for their own agenda’s…..ie to recruit people into ex-gay programs. Pretty sick I know but it goes on. If you were part of an established group that we could check on then we wouldn’t have any problem promoting the organisation.

            I’ve been involved in this work now for 9 years and from my experience it is not uncommon for a person who has gone through ex-gay therapy/ministries to have experience some mental health issues. Working in this area needs a good understanding and should be handled professionally.

            This is a discussion group…..we don’t give advice….just share from our experiences. We would often refer people on to qualified professionals when appropriate.

            What area do you live in?

            Some places I would recommend would be

            http://exgayaustralianewzealand.wordpress.com/?s=anthony

            http://www.beyondexgay.com/

            http://www.exgaywatch.com/wp/

            http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/

            you will find lots of other links also on those sites.

            We are all inter-connected……if you want to work in this area it would help to get connected also.

            Freedom 2 B(e)

            Firstly, I'd like to clear up that the email address was not a personal email, it's something I've worked out of before for this cause.

            Yes, I am part of another group that tries to help people in my local area. We concentrate on personal, one-on-one spiritual help for those in such positions. Now, we're not on the internet yet, and because of our policy on personal help, we probably wont, and simply just send people on the internet. It is also our policy to be de-centralized and work out of buildings or organizations: we try to come to those in need, and be where people can easily see us.

            I'm not sure how many groups of ours are out there, but there's a founding document that binds us together. I think it's called "Coping With Corinthians", but I may be wrong.

            And having experienced people in these situations, I've learned that help is not always what some may consider appropriate. But, your group.

            Anyway, if you could please delete my original message, that would be good. I don't think it's a positive thing to have people in need see an offer for help, and have no way to get this.

            Just for the record, I've had many good results with older people who I've prayed with, and helped through some of the bad experiences they've had.

            God bless!
            -Sam

            --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, "Coach Anthony" <anthony.venn-brown@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sam..welcome to the group an offer of help. As you may have noticed
            I've
            > deleted some of your message with personal contact details.
            >

            > I didn't really think it was appropriate to put those out to the group
            from
            > someone who has just joined.
            >

            > There are now lots of support organisation out there to help people. Are
            you
            > connected with any of those.
            >

            > Might be a good way to help you get underway. Your age might be some
            > difficulty though...unless you are working specifically with other young
            > people.
            >

            > Anthony
            >
            > Moderator

            > My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
            > forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be accepted,
            > celebrated, and lived with integrity.
            >
            > Freedom 2 B(e) <http://www.freedom2b.org/>
            >
            > Support - Information - Dialogue for GLBTIQ People from
            > Pentecostal/Charismatic Backgrounds go to www.freedom2b.org

          • sam.honner
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 14, 2009
              Hi
              I don't think my last message on this topic went through, I'm guessing my session just ran out or something.

              I basically expressed that I am part of a greater organization, whether you agree with how we do things or not. I also mentioned we offer spiritual support, and although we urge psychological support, it's the individual's responsibility. Ours is to make sure the spiritually dry and broken have a way to become repaired, and that those who want to speak to someone can have someone to talk to, who can give some advice as needed.

              I also worry that by leaving these messages on your group, there may be people who desire the kind of help I offer (whether already psychologically healed or not) and not be able to get it. So, please consider taking the first and subsequent messages down.

            • Coach Anthony
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 16, 2009

                The wonderful thing Sam is that there are now many support networks out there…..I run one myself    along with this group.

                You possibly can appreciate that as moderator I have a responsibility to exercise some degree of caution when a new person arrives on the forum we don’t know ……offering help.

                No need to delete your posts.

                Anthony Venn-Brown

                Award winning author of 'A Life of Unlearning - A Journey to Find the Truth'

                Co-convenor of Freedom 2 b[e]

                Honoured to be on the inaugural list of the  25 Most Influential Gay & Lesbian Australians

                "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."  Thomas Edward Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia)

                Blog: http://alifeofunlearning.blogspot.com/

                Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/gayambassador

                Become a fan of 'A Life of Unlearning' on Facebook

                Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/gayambassador

                I don't think my last message on this topic went through, I'm guessing my session just ran out or something.

                I basically expressed that I am part of a greater organization, whether you agree with how we do things or not. I also mentioned we offer spiritual support, and although we urge psychological support, it's the individual's responsibility. Ours is to make sure the spiritually dry and broken have a way to become repaired, and that those who want to speak to someone can have someone to talk to, who can give some advice as needed.

                I also worry that by leaving these messages on your group, there may be people who desire the kind of help I offer (whether already psychologically healed or not) and not be able to get it. So, please consider taking the first and subsequent messages down.

                God bless!
                -Sam

                --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, "Coach Anthony" <anthony.venn-brown@...> wrote:

                > Hey Sam..thanks for that.
                >

                > I think you'll probably find that you will be more successful by aligning
                > yourself with an existing GLBT group. The main reason is for safety and
                > secondly for credibility.
                >

                > We know that there are people out there who use groups such as ours for
                > their own agenda's...ie to recruit people into ex-gay programs. Pretty
                sick
                > I know but it goes on. If you were part of an established group that we
                > could check on then we wouldn't have any problem promoting the
                organisation.

                > I've been involved in this work now for 9 years and from my experience it
                is
                > not uncommon for a person who has gone through ex-gay therapy/ministries
                > have experience some mental health issues. Working in this area needs a
                good
                > understanding and should be handled professionally.
                >

                > This is a discussion group...we don't give advice..just share from our
                > experiences. We would often refer people on to qualified professionals
                when
                > appropriate.
                >

                > What area do you live in?
                >

                > Some places I would recommend would be
                >

                > http://exgayaustralianewzealand.wordpress.com/?s=anthony
                >

                > http://www.beyondexgay.com/
                >

                > http://www.exgaywatch.com/wp/
                >

                > http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/
                >

                > you will find lots of other links also on those sites.
                >

                > We are all inter-connected..if you want to work in this area it would help
                > to get connected also.
                >

                > Anthony
                >
                > Moderator

                > My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
                > forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be accepted,
                > celebrated, and lived with integrity.
                >
                > Freedom 2 B(e) <http://www.freedom2b.org/>
                >
                > Support - Information - Dialogue for GLBTIQ People from
                > Pentecostal/Charismatic Backgrounds go to www.freedom2b.org

                07/12/09