RE: [Exex-gay] peggy and tony campolo - worth taking time to read this prsentation.

  • Coach Anthony
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007

      Yep Tony and Peggy speaking on the issue is great.

      You might be lazy like me and prefer to listen to them speak while you are working on the computer………..or even download it to record on CD.

      Here is the link

      http://www.gaychristian.net/campolos.php

      Freedom 2 B(e)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007

          That would be great if you could do that.

          Thanks…….and happy New Year

          Freedom 2 B(e)

          On 1/1/07, Coach Anthony <anthony.venn- brown@psalifecoa ching.com> wrote:

          Yep Tony and Peggy speaking on the issue is great.

          You might be lazy like me and prefer to listen to them speak while you are working on the computer………..or even download it to record on CD.

          Here is the link

          http://www.gaychris tian.net/ campolos. php

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Exex- gay

          Freedom 2 B(e)

          Support - Information - Dialogue for GLBTIQ People from Pentecostal/ Charismatic Backgrounds go to www.freedom2b. org

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
            Joey D. was a boy I remember from grade school on up.
            The ultimate "kitchen-window" boy, to use Joe
            Nicolisi's phrase, if their ever was one. His shirts
            were always ironed and clean, his manners impeccable,
            his hair always neatly combed, and he had the best
            posture of any of us boys: never once did I see him
            slump in his chair.

            And of course, he acted and spoke like a girl. Well,
            not really a girl so much; he had the voice and
            mannerisms of a kindly matriarch.

            Boy did we make fun of him; in addition to everything
            else, Joey tended to do poorly as a student, often
            clueless as to how to complete an assignment.

            But with regards to his effiminate mannerisms, I was
            almost grateful, for it helped take some of the heat
            off of me, a fat boy with a high voice who couldn't
            run fast or throw or catch a ball. When I could join
            the other guys at laughing at him, I almost felt
            accepted by them. The weird thing is that poor Joey
            never even seemed to fully understand that he was
            being made fun of. But at the same time, none of this
            really helped me liking myself at all.

            I never saw him again after the seventh grade, and
            looking back, he was most likely borderline
            developmentally disabled, was probably put in a
            special school and should have been in one all along.

            I hate to think that as Joey's own adolescent hormones
            kicked in that he became an easy mark for predators,
            or worse yet, that Joey himself lacked an awareness of
            other people's boundaries.

            Every now and then I think about Joey and wonder where
            he is.

            Poor guy.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Coach Anthony
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2007

              That’s a nice reflection Korry……..we were all into gender policing……..and it still goes on. I talk more about that in the new edition of my book. I was like you. I was able to hide somewhat because Cyril (unfortunate name) and big fat Bill were the obvious targets. It also reinforced my position with the group to join in the bullying and taunts. Unlike Joey D I know what happened to Cyril and big fat Bill ……actually here is the extract from chapter  ……..

              Friendships were not as difficult in my senior years, even with the ‘real boys’. Two of my strongest friendships were with ‘macho’ men who would never have been suspected of any homosexual behaviour. They loved football, had sex with their girlfriends and were regarded admiringly by the majority of the school population: ‘jocks’ in a modern idiom. Usually I was protected from accusations of being queer because of Cyril . Everyone knew he was the school poof as he was tall, lanky and limp-wristed, with a high whiny voice. He loved wearing black and constantly flicked his long, blond fringe from his eyes as he minced across the schoolyard. Cyril ’s strong feminine characteristics meant all verbal abuse and harassment focused on him. Cyril ’s victimisation meant I could safely hide behind my friendships with the straight boys and avoid discovery. Occasionally I joined in the ridicule, reinforcing my position as one of ‘the boys’. Tragically, the bullying and stigma of being homosexual caused Cyril such unhappiness that he committed suicide soon after leaving school. He was not the first student to have taken that dreadful step though. ‘Big Bill’ hung himself after school one day when the continuous taunts over his size, clumsiness and lack of girlfriend made him decide it would be better to be dead than to live. When the principal questioned us the next day, none of us knew how unbearable our words had made Bill ’s life. It was sobering to think we had ostracised him with our words and actions to the point where his loneliness became intolerable. All bullying stopped for two weeks.

              The message was clear to me—through every derogatory term such as pansy, poofter, fairy, queer, homo and faggot—that being homosexual was a curse. I’d learnt already that homosexuals were gaoled as criminals, considered sexual perverts and given shock treatment by psychiatrists and that respectable people would not even mention such a disgusting term in public. Certainly no-one would ever choose to be queer; it was a sinister accident of nature. Homosexuals were destined to a life of rejection, and if by some wicked twist of fate a person was one, they must do everything possible to conceal it from everyone else. Maybe this idea of the need for secrecy was the motivator behind an unusual change in my behaviour—I’m not sure why it happened, it just did.

              Freedom 2 B(e)

[...]

              Do You Yahoo!?
              http://mail. yahoo.com