Introducing myself

  • Brent
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2001
      Hello,

      Just found out about the group. I started reading newsletters from
      Love in Action, Exodus and Outpost (Minneapolis) in 1990. I went
      into the live-in program of Emmanuel Ministries (San Antonio) in
      January 1991 and left the program in October that year because I
      broke the celebacy rule too many times.

      The elders of their home church gave me the option of staying in the
      program or leaving. The choice was extremely difficult. I knew that
      if I left I would go head first into the gay lifestyle. I didn't
      think I could be Gay and Christian at the same time. With much fear
      I decided to leave. Only one or two people in Emmanuel Ministries
      kept in touch with me soon after I left. There were a few reunions
      that I was invited to and I did attend one of them.

      Making the long story short... I went through lots of counseling with
      Christian counselors. I finally broke in 1996. I realized the only
      reason why I was putting myself thrugh all of it was because I was
      trying to be what other people thought I should be. I knew that
      God's Love for me was unconditoinal. I knew that my salvation was
      secure not because of my works but because of His grace.

      Much like Paul (in the book of Romans) I realized that God gave me
      a "thorn in my flesh" and this was it. I officially came out in May
      1996 and it was one of the greatest steps I ever took in life next to
      accepting Christ as Lord. I have since discovered that I am not
      alone. There are lots of GLBT Christians and a lot of us have
      similar stories to tell.

      There are a few guys that I knew in Emmanuel Ministries that I'm
      wondering might be here. Michail Waite and David di Puma, if any of
      you are here I'd love to talk to you again.

      Scars.... I have been very bitter towards the "church" in general. I
      don't have the same Joy for the Lord that I once had. I think this
      group might be good for me. I have also joined another group on
      Yahoo for Gay Christians called "Bears4Christ"
      http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bears4Christ It has been a real
      blessing to me.

      Hugs 'n peace,

      Brent http://www.geocities.com/satxbrent
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11, 2001

        You made Brent.  Good on you.

        Hope you get to meet up with previous friends.  I have that happening to me all the time over the last two years in the most amazing ways.  Are you familiar with the concept of synchronicity?

        Only recently when talking to a prospect on the phone at work I realised I was talking to someone I had seen since Bible College 30 years ago.  We used to work in a Christian group together.  He’s since been to my website and came to my birthday party.

        Our reconnection has been significant as there is much still unresolved in his life.  There are many more events like this that seem to happen constantly now.

        Makes life really exciting and rewarding.

        http://www.yahoo.com/group/Exex-gay

        "There is the illusion that homosexuals only have sex and heterosexuals fall in love.  Boy George"

      • hope@weblicity.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 11, 2001
          Hi Brent and welcome:

          You wrote:
          "Making the long story short... I went through lots of counseling
          with Christian counselors. I finally broke in 1996. I realized the
          only reason why I was putting myself thrugh all of it was because I
          was trying to be what other people thought I should be. I knew that
          God's Love for me was unconditoinal. I knew that my salvation was
          secure not because of my works but because of His grace. "

          All I can say is AMEN!!!

          You also wrote:
          "Scars.... I have been very bitter towards the "church" in general. I
          don't have the same Joy for the Lord that I once had. I think this
          group might be good for me. I have also joined another group on Yahoo
          for Gay Christians called "Bears4Christ"
          http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bears4Christ It has been a real
          blessing to me."

          I know how you feel regarding "church" in general. I regard your
          comment refers to churches in general not The Church biblically
          speaking. I don't have the same feelings about "The Church" While
          most in The Church probably are anti-gay due to uninformed
          traditional rhetoric, I know of some in The Church who have been
          enlightened as to God's infinite and inclusive love. I hope you will
          once again experience the Joy for the Lord you once had. He has not
          changed, so we cannot base our joy or lack there of on the pain and
          scars caused by those in the churches in my opinion. I do hope this
          group will be good for you. I have heard Bears4Christ is also a
          good group, but have only briefly visited once.

          May you and all others who have joined this group know you are in
          good hands with our moderator, Anthony, and that all, so far, have
          been very supportive of each other; offering experiences when they
          appear to be helpful.

          Glad to see the recent activity. I have been qute busy and have not
          been able to post much for a while, but had a little time today and
          thought I would dive in again.

          Meaningfully,
          Steve Hopesharer
        • eswie@yahoo.dk
          Message 4 of 5 , May 11, 2001
            Hi Brent and thanks for sharing your story. I tend to believe that I
            am more "spiritual" than "religious" so my sexual orientation did not
            change my attitudes toward religious institutions. Man made laws will
            always get corrupted and I do not see existing churches and clergy as
            institutions appointed by God. When I was much younger I was once
            asked to have sex with a priest in his parish full of crosses and
            holy icons. Peculiar paradox - a gay priest is supporting anti gay
            politics of the church.

            You said that you didn´t have the same Joy for the Lord that you once
            had. I am sure you will find your own way to regain this joy soon as
            once again Lord has got nothing to do with human stupidity and narrow
            mindness. In a way I lost the joy for people I once had and as my 75
            years old lady friend says "it´s their loss" - I kind of like
            thinking this way. If I believe in the All Forgiving and All
            Understanding God and accept myself as God´s creation then my
            feelings towards Him should be the same all the time, shouldn´t
            they ? And people ? Well, you know better than me that it doesn´t
            make sense to convince them that they are not right. Sometimes I did
            not know where to invest my feelings of pitty - in myself being gay
            or in them not being able to understand it.

            Hugs and smiles - Genek
          • Candy
            Message 5 of 5 , May 11, 2001
              Brent,
              Welcome to this group and I pray that the Lord
              will continue to bless you in every
              way......Candy

              =====
              VETERANS FOR PEACE 733 15th Street, NW Suite 928 Washington DC, 20005 (202) 347-6780 Fax: (202) 347-6781 E-mail: vfp@... Web Site http://www.veteransforpeace.org VFP IRAQ WATER PROJECT c/o VFP CHAPTER 56 Post Office Box 532 Bayside, Ca 95524 http://www.iraqwaterproject.com/ (MJCarley@...)

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/