RE: [Exex-gay] Re: Intro

    Message 1 of 16 , May 11, 2001

      Genek your journey was communicated well and you will find many in this group who have walked an almost identical path.  Till I joined the www I really thought my experience was isolated.  Almost arrogant to think that I was that unique.  Isolation will do that every time.

      I really enjoyed your responses to the article as well.  I’m so glad you joined our egroup, knowing you will both give and receive.

      Funny comment about heterosexual functionality.  Yes your right.  What is that.  As I heard someone say one time, ”A hole is a hole”

      http://www.yahoo.com/group/Exex-gay

      "There is the illusion that homosexuals only have sex and heterosexuals fall in love..  Boy George"

      Message 2 of 16 , May 11, 2001
        To: Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com
        Genek:

        Welcome aboard.

        You wrote:
        "As I said before, I am a man, I do feel and
        act like any other men I know and the fact that I am gay doesn´t
        change anything at all."

        Glad you are where you are in this regard and in peace about it.
        Couldn't agree more with your comments.

        You wrote:
        "I was brought up in a very Catholic Poland and I used to live with
        the feeling of sin for many years."

        So true of many who are gay and Christian. How sad. Sometimes I
        wish I had a pill I could feed to those struggling to accept
        themselves and know God truly loves them. So many have been victims
        of pressure to be like others think they ought. I feel the solution
        for the future is to reach young gays with the message it is ok to be
        who you are and everyone needs to find out who they are as early as
        possible and do what is NATURAL for them without giving into the
        societal pressures. Being straight for a gay person isn't natural.
        According to Paul, we sin when we don't do what is natural. Will
        have to look up the exact verse and meaning, but this is the jest of
        it.

        Obviously, there are risks involved when one chooses to be open
        depending on their environment, but each individual has to decide if
        taking the risk is worth it. I choose to believe it is and have also
        experience the world doesn't come to an end when I come out to those
        I have come out to. Only one has pulled away, but all others, and
        there are many, have completely respected me and most have accepted
        me.

        You wrote as a result of what you have experienced in the past that:
        "That wasn´t easy but luckily I managed
        to go through suicidal periods and periods of drinking without
        hurting myself that much. I came out 3 years ago and there were no
        earthquakes which I expected."

        So glad you survived. I can identify with those feelings and want
        desperately to help others avoid having to go through them.

        You wrote:
        "I do not think I wasted the years, because all of them
        brought me to the point where I am at the moment."

        I am glad you feel this way. I don't think any of our lives are a
        waste. All experiences are profitable for learning. I think it is
        important that once we learn something that is meaningful to us that
        we share it with others. I appreciate what you have shared and what
        others have shared with this group.

        I look forward to hearing more from you. All of our experiences are
        individually unique, but carry a thread of commonality when we
        compare ourselves to each other and how the world for the most part
        looks down upon gays. Nevertheless, I have hope things will continue
        to change for the better as we continue to share our stories with
        each other, especially those struggling through difficult times with
        the hope the world will eventually understand we are in reality, as
        you have expressed, no different than them other than our God Given
        Orientation.

        Blessings,
        Steve Hopesharer
      • Erny
        Message 3 of 16 , May 21, 2001
          Hi Lisa,

          Welcome. I have personally heard many stories similar to yours before
          but 'I have never heard the way you explained their rhetoric quite so well
          and honest'. Thank you for being here with us and for us! So much can be
          learned from you.
          So...tell us where we can get your newsletter!!! Woo!Hoo!! Can't wait.
          Also...I've looked into relocating to Denver for almost 6 years (used to
          live on the Western Slope). And as hot as it is today in Phoenix...I'm
          about to pick up my son and take off! Let us know some more about MCC
          Denver and how they have helped you. (Would that be Rocky Mountain MCC by
          any chance?)

          JOY to you and your husband!!
          Erny

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 17, 2003
            Hi to all,
            First of all my name is Marty. This is my first experience with
            joining a group so I am hoping I am going about it in the right way.
            I very much feel that I can relate to the group/subject matter.
            I am 42 yrs old, recently divorced, have two boys who are 10 and
            8 yrs old. I had became a Christian about 20 yrs ago but haven't
            belonged to a Church for about 12 yrs. The main reason for that is
            due to my struggle with my being able to accept my sexual oriention.
            The Church that in which I belonged to preached that Homosexuality
            was wrong and even before I had joined I still hadn't came out to
            myself. So while I was a member it wasn't even possible for me to be
            open with anyone else. The Church/members itself were ( at least
            appeared to be ) a loving, caring group. But as it turned out it was
            a "conditional" love they offered. Basically it was as long as you
            did what you were taught/told, you fit right in. So when I left the
            Church it left some bitter feelings. There was about a year or two
            between that time before I meet my ex-wife. During that time I meet a
            guy who was gay and we had a brief relationship. He was a very nice
            guy but It ended due to my own homophobia, I just couldn't accept
            myself being gay.
            Soon there after is when I meet my ex, which in it self is a
            story but I am going to try to just summerize it. It wasn't meant to
            be from the word go. I wasn't open with her about my sexuality and my
            lack of strong feelings towards her. But she ended up pregnant and I
            accepted full responsibility and we got married. In the back of my
            mind I was thinking that maybe in time I would have feelings for her.
            After about 5 yrs I came out to her about my attraction towards men.
            Also during our marriage she became a Christian and so she is
            convienced that homosexuality is a sin. So I am not quite sure how
            much I am letting her beliefs control my life at the present time.
            She has a strong personality and I tend to avoid confrontations.
            So any way I've tried to cram the major portion of my life into
            a few paragraghs so to lead up to letting you know where I stand at
            the present time. I feel that I have a strong need/desire to let God
            into my life. But I feel torn between God and being Gay. I am from
            Colorado and am hoping to find some local support and a Church in
            which I feel I fit in.

            Thanks It felt good just to be able to write my
            feelings down somewhere. I hope to hear from someone soon.

            Marty
          • Life Coach
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 17, 2003

              HI Marty

              Thanks for posting your story.  You will find a number here who will relate very strongly to your story……myself included.    I’ve placed my story below that might encourage you that you are not alone and there is light at the end of the tunnel.  You will find lots of places to get help on the net one of them being http://www.truluck.com.  If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

              MY LIFE IN A NUTSHELL

              My first sexual experiences were with guys in the final years of High School. This only produced guilt, depression, confusion an attempt at suicide and finally trips to a psychiatrist.  My battles with my sexuality brought me into a relationship with God. I thought that God could take it away. There were times of relief but not permanent release.  I believed that God had called me to the ministry so I went to Bible College in New Zealand.  I was told that casting out the demons within me would finally make me free.  Exorcism didn’t do it. Returning to Australia, I went to a Christian rehabilitation centre that worked with drug addicts and homosexuals.  I left this after 3 months of physical, emotional and mental abuse. In 1971 I spent 7 months finding out what the gay scene was like.  I couldn’t really relate to the stereotypical queens, bitchiness and insincerity.  I rededicated my life to God and moved to the country.

              I met Helen and got married in 1974. I thought I had received a miracle and now my problems would be over.  After the birth on my two daughters, my wife and I launched out in full-time ministry.  My ministry as a Pentecostal preacher became more and more successful. During my 13 years of ministry I achieved many things that people said could not be done, launching many innovative programs and gaining national recognition for being a leader in evangelism.  I regularly preached to 1,000’s of people in the largest churches in Australia and overseas.  This time was not without it’s battles and struggles.  Sometimes I was able to beat temptation but other times not.  After 16 years of marriage and family life, I was forced to face reality.  I fell in love with a man.  I was tired of fighting and could no longer live a lie.  My decision to accept and acknowledge my true identity was very difficult.  The pain it caused in my life and those around me that I loved was almost unbearable.  To be honest about who I was would cost me everything; my career, my business, many friends, my marriage and family.  I thought that my relationship with God was over.  National exposure and a public confession almost destroyed me.

              The next 6 years was very interesting, as I learnt what it really meant to be a gay man.  Much of that time was spent fighting through years of guilt and conditioning.  Every gay experience up to my 39th year was associated with guilt and abhorrence.  I always detested what I was doing, deriving no emotional or physical pleasure, except a quick orgasm. Time and a variety of experiences have changed those years of conditioning.  I’ve fallen in love and out of love.  1994 was the year I discovered drugs.  Four years was spent exploring the world of drugs, dance parties and nightclubs.   Lot’s of wonderful experiences and a few tragic ones.  But too much of anything is not good for you.  This period took its toll and robbed me of my motivation, creative energy and purpose. Things came to a head at the beginning of 1998 with a trip to casualty.

              1999 I came across a personal development program, “The Delfin Knowledge System”.  This course provided incredible insight into the universal laws and principles that make life work.  The major impact happened when the concluding exercises revealed my life’s purpose.  Seeing this in black and white on the page in front of me was very confronting.  I was living so far from what I was supposed to be doing with my life.  I communicated with God for the first time in 7 years. We had not been of speaking terms. Progressively my insight and understanding changed as people books and experiences were brought across my path assisting me to resolve and grow.  The discovery of so many people who were into spirituality has been exciting.  My belief system is redefined.

              My evolution as a gay man is now complete. I am not an activist but comfortable to the point where I no longer fear peoples reaction to me being gay.  So comfortable that if science developed a pill to make homosexual people heterosexual, I wouldn’t take it.  If I was re-incarnated and came back as a homosexual, I would not be disappointed or feel ripped off. There are no more issues to resolve or questions to be answered.  My journey makes sense and I work in the area of personal development helping people realise and reach their full potential.

              I know that I am right on track.  I love my life, being gay, my girls, wonderful friends and living a life of value and purpose.

              "The Bible has 7 admonitions that allude to sexual behaviour and intimate relations between persons of the same gender, however the Bible also has more than 300 admonitions that specifically refer to sexual behaviour and intimate relations between members of opposite genders. Does this mean that God hates heterosexuals?

              NO ... certainly not! It just means that heterosexuals need far more supervision."

              " Coming Out is spiritually cleansing.  Harvey Milk of San Francisco was the first openly gay elected official in the United States in 1978.  Harvey repeatedly said: “Come out, and when you do, you will feel so much better.”  Before he was assassinated in 1979, Harvey predicted that he would be murdered, but he said that he would gladly take a bullet if it would blast open all of the closet doors that trap and imprison gay people.  You will feel better about yourself and you will see yourself and the whole world as a more beautiful place when you come out.

              Coming Out is liberation from a host of unclean spirits.  Homosexuality is not demonic, but homophobia is.  Coming Out is an exorcism of the destructive forces that deceive you into believing evil things and rejecting yourself and your own reality.

              Coming Out is an act of God in your life, whatever your view of God might be.  God is always seen in Christian perspective as Truth.  Remember that Jesus said: “You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free;” and added: “I am the truth.”

              “Homosexuality is actually a privileged spiritual path and natural mode of human expression that our Souls have chosen in order to help us discover the true power and magnificence of our Authentic Selves“.

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 17, 2003
                Welcome Marty:

                You are certainly not alone in your experiences with how you came about discovering who you are and how you are coming out nor what you have experienced as rejection with your previous church.

                Wow! Colorado.  That is a difficult place to find acceptance in a church being that it has become a hub and haven for many fundamentalist Christian organizations and churches.  However, there are some places you can go.  Colorado Springs has a fantastic MCC Known as the Pikes Peak MCC.  There web site was http://www.pikespeakmcc.org/ but it seems to be down at the moment.

                I recently read a post by a man named  Allen on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bears4Christ/  It is message # 9821.  He has been through a lot and some who have posted recently may be as touched by his sharing as I was.  I feel it is a worthwhile read, particularly if you have been married and have children and are dealing with your sexuality.

                Thinking about all of you on this list and praying all of you will have a good day everyday, I remain:

                Meaningfully,
                Steve H.

                At 04:38 PM 2/17/03 +0000, you wrote:
[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Glenn Fleurinck
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 6, 2006
                  Hi all,

                  I've been luring for a bit to gett the "feel" of this group and now i think I'm ready to make an introduction.

                  My name is Glenn Fleurinck, Im 38 years old and i live in Belgium.

                  I entered the pentecostal/charismatic movement at 18 and soon after took off with an evangelistic ministry called "Christ is the Answer"

                  I was with them for several years.

                  I've been through the whole 9yards of exorcisms, claiming my healing etc.etc.etc.

                  But at the end of the day i guess i was still as gay as i had always been.

                  And despite all the talk about liberation and healing i was always treated as dirt by the other guys. I was told by one quite bluntly that this would only stop after i had proved them i had changed by getting married.

                  Thank God I gott out of there.

                  After a spritual and theological search i became an old catholic. This with a brief stop at the Roman Catholicism i grew up in but where again homophobia chased me away.

                  I am now a priest with the old catholic church.

                  I think this suffices for now.I hope to get to know you a bit better too.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 6, 2006

                    Great to have you with us Glenn . You’ve had an interesting journey haven’t you. There aren’t many who go from Pentecostalism to Catholicism ….its usually the other way around.

                    I’m sure that it has opened up a new level of spirituality though

                    Freedom 2 B(e)