Re: [Exex-gay] latest news on John Paulk......exgay?

  • Jayelle Wiggins
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 8, 2006
      That actually is a good question at the end (even though Wayne censored my comment on his own blog--I called him on being anti-bisexual, which he is.)  If you click around the site, a Focus on the Family big shot is identified as such on the "Accolades" page, proving Paulk hasn't burned his bridges.
      That said, I think it's a good thing that he's doing something honest, something that has to work as advertised in order for him to get paid, and something that may help people.  He looks happy, and like he's lost some weight.  Maybe baking up yummy treats rather than new ways to make people miserable does good things for a person's body and soul.  I wish more ex-gay leaders would do that.
      Incidentally, I think basil-parmesan popcorn sounds yummy.
      Blessed be,
      Jayelle

      Anthony Venn-Brown Personal Coach <anthony.venn-brown@...> wrote:
      'Ex-gay' John Paulk 's exciting new career
      John Paulk was the king of the "ex-gay" ministries. He had appeared on "Good Morning America," " Oprah " and "60 Minutes," telling his bizarre tale of "change." He was also on the cover of Newsweek with his "ex-lesbian" wife Anne , under the headline " Gay for Life?" Later, he went to work for Focus on the Family, running their "ex-gay" Love Won Out anti-gay road show.

      John Paulk and his 'ex-lesbian' wife appeared on the cover of Newsweek in 1998.

      All this ended after I photographed Paulk in a homosexual saloon in Washington . Paulk and his wife moved to Portland . Ore. , never to be heard from again ... until now.

      It turns out Paulk has embarked upon yet another transformation. But this time, he is baking more than bullshit. America 's most famous failed ex-gay is now a personal chef in Portland and a graduate of Western Culinary Institute. He has opened an oh-so-gay catering business, with an oh-so-queer name — Mezzaluna.

      You go, girl!

      According to his book, "Not Afraid To Change," his new career may keep him in the closet for a very long time. In his tome, he claimed that becoming fat helped make him straight.
      "My weight started to increase, and I found little desire to keep on a strict diet in order to stay fashionably slim. My very appearance was changing; I was looking less and less gay. And I was perfectly happy about it."
      Interestingly, his attraction to the spotlight has not changed. He was featured in a newspaper article about catering Super Bowl events:
      Chef John Paulk , owner of Mezzaluna Personal Chef Service in Portland , offers a catered Super Bowl party package that's packed with portable foods, from deep-fried ravioli to bar cookies. "Flavored popcorns are fun, too. I make a basil-Parmesan popcorn, put it in different bowls, and spread them around the room," he says.
      Look out! When Paulk offers his "party package" that could mean a number of things. Finally, basil-Parmesan popcorn? Yeah, right, he's straight.

      I wish Mr. Paulk the best of luck with his exciting new career and hope he cooks up dishes, better than he dished out lies. Now, the question on everybody's mind: Does he cater gay weddings?

      "If I were God, I would be suing a lot of people for libel."--Sinead O'Connor

    • gbmaninuk@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 8, 2006
        This is hilarious.   thanks for making me smile again.

[...]

        Posted by Wayne Besen, Columnist| Feb. 7 at 11:47 AM | wbesen@....

      • Anthony Venn-Brown Personal Coach
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 8, 2006

          I think you are right Jayelle.

          Having gone through the drama of a scandal and having to leave the ministry I know the deviation one experiences whilst trying to think about what new direction one should go. Beginning a new life and career at 40 is not always easy……especially when your emotional reserves are depleted.

          I just cant believe though that there is the continued façade of a heterosexual marriage.

          Freedom 2 B(e)

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 8, 2006
            One of the things that I find very interesting is a comment found by Tony Campolo found here: - it is a long article, but I will highlight the point:

            Tony and his wife Peggy are at odds with each other.  It is an internationally recognised "marriage of paradigm opposites".  Peggy accepts and believes that GLBTIQ are fine just the way we are, but Tony does not.  Now, just so you are clear - Tony raises the belief that the church should provide "safe space" for GLBTIQ people to be celebate.  Personally I believe that we should be free to do whatever.  But here's the crux - he admits that change is virtually impossible.

            Tony raises an interesting point at the end of Paragraph 10:

            That's important because I often hear rhetoric that says if you just pray and repent and turn away from this that God will honor you and all will be well. And that's the second point.

            We also know that there are very, very few cases where people actually change their orientation. I interviewed significant numbers of homosexuals who, quote unquote, claim to be cures. And I asked them a simple question. Here's the question: Do you ever have sexual fantasies. Now, everybody in this group, except Dr. Horner, has sexual fantasies. Everybody here has sexual fantasies, you see. As a matter of fact, before this program is over, according to, to one study, the average male in this group will have three sexual fantasies. That's why I like speaking in chapel: Where else can you bring so much pleasure to so many people in such a short period of time. The truth is I asked the question of all my homosexuals that I interview and here it is: When you fantasize do you fantasize homosexually or heterosexually? I always get the same answer. We fantasize homosexually. Well, how can you say that you're no longer in a homosexual orientation?
            I wonder who John Paulk fantasizes about while he's got all his university-aged servers running around at his catering events?...

            On 2/9/06, Anthony Venn-Brown Personal Coach <anthony.venn-brown@...> wrote:

[...]

            Assembly of god Beyond belief Beliefs

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • edwardxderwent
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 8, 2006
              --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Venn-Brown Personal Coach"
              <anthony.venn-brown@...> wrote: "I just cant believe though that
              there is the continued façade of a heterosexual marriage.

              personally, i would not raise a doctrinal (as principle of belief)
              objection to anyone deciding to marry ..

              i believe that such a marriage - between a gay man and a str8 woman -
              should have more than usual honesty from the gay male (and, usually
              there is less than normal honesty) and the str8 woman ..

              but, if they both are happy with making this arrangement, i cannot
              see grounds for saying it is bad or wrong... i stress 'arrangement'
              for it should clearly include some appreciation of things that can
              happen with the gay male, and the wife should be given an opportunity
              to face that prospect in advance.

              sometimes, two people click in friendship. this may not be the
              conventional foundation for a good marriage - but, hey! there's a
              helluva lot of bad (unhappy) conventional marriages out there, anyway
              so a happy unconventional marriage has gotta be OK!
            • Jayelle Wiggins
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 8, 2006
                Actually, Anne is an ex-lesbian.

                I figure that if they're able to love each other the way they need, that's the important thing.  My ex-boy and I were both bi, and we could make each other happy while having same-sex attractions.  My lesbian wife is perfectly okay with my ex-boyfriends and crushes on men, because I can love her the way she needs.

                I'm all for any way that people can find happiness, without finding it at others' expense.

                Blessed be,
                Jayelle

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 8, 2006

                  You know Pete ….sometimes when I hear Peggy and Tony speak or read their positions I get the impression they are playing good cop and bad cop.

                  Tony’s arguments are not very convincing……….or is it just that I’m on Peggy’s side of the fence.

                  Anthony Venn-Brown

                  Internationally Accredited Coach (ACC ICF)

                  Managing Director

                  Personal Success Australia

                  Tel: 02 9699 2448  Mobile: 0416 015 231

                  anthony.venn-brown@...

                  www.anthonyvennbrown.com

                  One on one coaching is the most effective methodology of personal development.

                  You'll have greater clarity, be more organised and create realistic strategies to achieve your goals.

                  Experience the benefits of this synergistic relationship for yourself by booking a complimentary consultation click here.

                  International Coaching Federation research shows that 98.5% of our clients are happy with their coach. 83% of our clients stay with us for at least three months. The majority of clients stay with us for half a year. And some clients simply never leave. Other studies in organizations have shown that coaching programs have achieved between 500 and 700% return on investment.

[...]

                  Assembly of god

                  Beyond belief

                  Beliefs

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                • Anthony Venn-Brown Personal Coach
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 8, 2006

                    There are several models out there I've found. One is called the closed loop. We've done what’s right for us Kenni eh?

                    I sometimes think that if another option was given to me when I was leaving my wife I may have taken it.......but in the end for me it would have been a compromise.......inevitably.....I would have to leave.

                    I’ve actually coached several people who stayed in the marriage…….as a coach I can not have any agenda as that would influence people. I’m happy for people to make their own decisions.

                    Freedom 2 B(e)

[...]

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/4bWolB/TM

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Pete Zayonce
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 8, 2006
                      My comment is more around the idea that as a staunch opponent of GLBTIQ people, Tony admits that there is homoesexual orientation, and that it's difficult/impossible to change it.

                      I could care less what he says generally - sometimes hearing him talk, I find him boarish & opinionated without well thought ideas.

                      I also am on Peggy's side of the fence ;-)

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 8, 2006
                        yes, anthony - i agree - while i could not make a decision for myself
                        at that time, (because of the emotional contradictions) i needed to
                        be out of my 'fake' past. i wanted to live and love in harmony with
                        my true self...

                        i could not have stayed within my previous marriage and made my
                        former wife happy...

                        teh light had shone on my road, i was temporarily blind, and had to
                        be led by my hand to my new life ....

                        here i am (smile)

                        kenni

                        <anthony.venn-brown@...> wrote:

                        > There are several models out there I've found. One is called the
                        closed
                        > loop. We've done what's right for us Kenni eh?
                        >

                        > I sometimes think that if another option was given to me when I was
                        leaving
                        > my wife I may have taken it.......but in the end for me it would
                        have been a
                        > compromise.......inevitably.....I would have to leave.
                        >

                        > I've actually coached several people who stayed in the
                        marriage…….as a coach
                        > I can not have any agenda as that would influence people. I'm happy
                        for
                        > people to make their own decisions.
                        >

                        > Anthony
                        >
                        > Moderator

                        > My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
                        > forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be
                        accepted,
                        > celebrated, and lived with integrity.
                        >
                        > Freedom 2 B(e)
                        >
                        > Support - Information - Dialogue for GLBTIQ People from
                        > Pentecostal/Charismatic Backgrounds go to www.freedom2b.org

                        Behalf