Re: Tulsa pastor arrested on lewdness charge

  • edwardxderwent
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
      can't identify the word you seek .. but, saw this story break
      yesterday, and immediately felt some compassion for the poor bastard.

      his experience in life mirrors our own lives. certainly mine! it's
      even sadder for this guy that he lives in a country that chooses to
      spend it's resources in fighting 'sex', instead of fighting 'real
      crime'.

      it's a long time (in australia) since someone cruising a car park
      would be arrested, and, as i understand current practise in sydney,
      the magistrate in the magistrates court (first court level) would
      likely tell the arresting officers off. which is a big difference for
      gay men in australia.

      something like 16 years ago i used to go to a beat on the northern
      edge of botany bay. it was in a long stretch of replanted scrub. guys
      would go there to sun-bake nude, so there was a chance to view the
      product before you bought.

      suddenly, the police started to raid the area, and a police
      helicopter took to flying over, someone told me later that from time
      to time guys would be arrested for having sex in some little
      clearing. teh charge was having sex in public. the story went that
      after the first few cases, and it becoming clear as to just where
      these guys were having sex, the the magistrate's court near always
      refused to hear the charge. certainly, nothing got to pages of the
      sydney gay papers, so i guess the story was true.

      it was nice to have sex in the fresh air and sunshine - i thought it
      was the best beat in sydney.

      --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, "jsta43catrocks"
      <jsta43catrocks@y...> wrote:

      > I heard this story first on Paul Harvey News (you might not get
      that
      > in Australia) and our local news station...
      >
      > Isn't there a DSM-IV designation of "not being able to cope with
      > one's own homosexuality" (as opposed to the homosexuality itself,
      > dropped in 1973)?
      >
      > I don't think they call it "internalized homophobia," but I thought
      > there was something similar buried deep within the pages of the
      > Manual.
      >
      > Someone out there could verify this for me...
      >

      > --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Venn-Brown Personal
      Coach"
      > <anthony.venn-brown@p...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Another one bites the dust.
      > >

      > > This is not an uncommon thing where someone who is opposing
      > homosexuality is
      > > actually gay themselves or someone really opposed to immorality,
      > secretly
      > > has a problem with it. I believe that there has been some
      > psychological
      > > research done on it or psychological terms. Does anyone have any
      > further
      > > info on that type of thing? I'd be interested to know.
      > >

      > > Tulsa pastor arrested on lewdness charge
      > >
      > > An executive committee member of the Southern Baptist Convention
      was
      > > arrested on a lewdness charge for propositioning a plainclothes
      > policeman
      > > outside a hotel in Tulsa, Okla., police said.
      > >
      > > Lonnie Latham, senior pastor at South Tulsa Baptist Church, was
      > booked into
      > > Oklahoma County Jail Tuesday night on a misdemeanor charge of
      > offering to
      > > engage in an act of lewdness, police captain Jeffrey Becker said.
      > Latham was
      > > released on $500 bail Wednesday afternoon.
      > >
      > > Latham, who has spoken out against homosexuality, asked the
      officer
      > to join
      > > him in his hotel room for oral sex. Latham was arrested, and his
      > 2005
      > > Mercedes automobile was impounded, Becker said. Calls to Latham
      at
      > his
      > > church were not immediately returned Wednesday.
      > >
      > > The arrest took place in the parking lot of the Habana Inn, which
      > is in an
      > > area where the public has complained about male prostitutes
      > flagging down
      > > cars, Becker said. The plainclothes officers was investigating
      these
      > > complaints. The lewdness charge carries a penalty of up to one
      year
      > in jail
      > > and a $2,500 fine.
      > >
      > > Latham is one of four Southern Baptist Convention executive
      > committee
      > > members from Oklahoma. He spoke out last year against a measure,
      > ultimately
      > > approved by voters, to expand tribal gaming. He has also spoken
      out
      > against
      > > same-sex marriage and in support of a Southern Baptist Convention
      > directive
      > > urging its 42,000 churches to befriend gays and lesbians and try
      > convince
      > > them that they can become heterosexual "if they accept Jesus
      Christ

        <anthony.venn-brown@p...> wrote:

> [...]
        > same-sex marriage and in support of a Southern Baptist Convention
        directive
        > urging its 42,000 churches to befriend gays and lesbians and try to
        convince
        > them that they can become heterosexual "if they accept Jesus Christ
        as their
        > savior and reject their sinful, destructive lifestyle."
        >
        > The Southern Baptist Convention is the nation's largest Protestant
        > denomination. (AP)
        >

        > Anthony
        >
        > Moderator

        > My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
        > forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be
        accepted,
        > celebrated, and lived with integrity.
        >
        > Freedom 2 B(e) <http://www.freedom2b.org/>
        >
        > Support - Information - Dialogue for GLBTIQ People from

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Pete Zayonce

          <anthony.venn-brown@p...> wrote:

> [...]
          > same-sex marriage and in support of a Southern Baptist Convention
          directive
          > urging its 42,000 churches to befriend gays and lesbians and try to
          convince
          > them that they can become heterosexual "if they accept Jesus Christ
          as their
          > savior and reject their sinful, destructive lifestyle."
          >
          > The Southern Baptist Convention is the nation's largest Protestant
          > denomination. (AP)
          >

          > Anthony
          >
          > Moderator

          > My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
          > forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be
          accepted,
          > celebrated, and lived with integrity.
          >
          > Freedom 2 B(e) <http://www.freedom2b.org/ >
          >
          > Support - Information - Dialogue for GLBTIQ People from

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/4bWolB/TM

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Anthony Venn-Brown Personal Coach
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2006

            You are just tooooooooo clever Mr Zayonce …thanks. I thought it would have been something to do with a listing of mental disorders.

            Andrew has been dealing lately with Peter Stokes lately from the Salt Shakers. His obsession with sin and homosexuality is unhealthy..almost sick.……….we’d love to know what’s behind it.

            Hope you are having a restful day and nurturing yourself.

            Freedom 2 B(e)

            <anthony.venn-brown@p...> wrote:

            > Another one bites the dust.
            >

            > This is not an uncommon thing where someone who is opposing
            homosexuality is
            > actually gay themselves or someone really opposed to immorality,
            secretly
            > has a problem with it. I believe that there has been some
            psychological
            > research done on it or psychological terms. Does anyone have any
            further
            > info on that type of thing? I'd be interested to know.
            >

            > Tulsa
            pastor arrested on lewdness charge

            > An executive committee member of the Southern Baptist Convention was
            > arrested on a lewdness charge for propositioning a plainclothes
            policeman
            > outside a hotel in Tulsa ,
            Okla. , police said.

            > Lonnie
            w:st="on">Latham , senior pastor at South Tulsa Baptist Church , was
            booked into
            > Oklahoma County Jail Tuesday night on a misdemeanor charge of
            offering to
            > engage in an act of lewdness, police captain
            w:st="on">Jeffrey Becker said.

            href="http://www.freedom2b.org">www.freedom2b.org

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/4bWolB/TM

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • jsta43catrocks
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 10, 2006
              It stands for the "Diagnostic (something) Manual" (can't tell you
              what the "S" really stands for), but it is the Psychiatric
              Designations of all of the disorders out there. The famous 1973
              removal of homosexuality was from the "III" version (it gets updated
              every so often.)

              This library (from where I'm typing) closes in 10 minutes; I'll get
              more complete information later...

              <anthony.venn-brown@p...> wrote:

              > Can you explain the acronym DSM-IV fro us all please.
              >
              > Anthony
              > Moderator
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Exex-gay
              > My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
              > forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be
              accepted,
              > celebrated, and lived with integrity.
              > Freedom 2 B(e)
              > Support - Information - Dialogue for GLBTIQ People from
              > Pentecostal/Charismatic Backgrounds go to www.freedom2b.org

              Behalf
> [...]
              > directive
              > > urging its 42,000 churches to befriend gays and lesbians and try
              > convince
              > > them that they can become heterosexual "if they accept Jesus
              Christ
              > as their
              > > savior and reject their sinful, destructive lifestyle."
              > >
              > > The Southern Baptist Convention is the nation's largest Protestant
              > > denomination. (AP)
              > >

              > > Anthony
              > >
              > > Moderator

              > > My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to
              be
              > > forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be
              > accepted,
              > > celebrated, and lived with integrity.
              > >
              > > Freedom 2 B(e) <http://www.freedom2b.org/>
              > >
              > > Support - Information - Dialogue for GLBTIQ People from

            • jsta43catrocks
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 10, 2006
                Thanks, Pete.

                When school starts on Friday, I'll be at a computer more often.

                --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, Pete Zayonce <pete.zayonce@g...>