NEWS - Gays make the Best Clerics (Pastors, Ministers, Priests)

  • edwardxderwent
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2006

      This article was posted on signel yesterday. I am assuming the Church Times is an english publication.

      Bishop: gays `amongst the best' clerics

      By Bill Bowder
      Church Times

      GAY CLERICS are among the best in East Anglia, said the (Anglican) Bishop of St Edmundsbury & Ipswich, the Rt Revd Richard Lewis, this week. The Bishop also backed the new civil-partnership legislation, and urged people to affirm gay clergy.

      "They are amongst the best we have, and I am daily thankful for them," he said.

      "Instead of bickering about what is thought to be
      wrong in terms of human relationships, for men and women and same-sex couples, it would be good if there was some affirmation of the things that are good and worth celebrating," he told the East Anglican Daily Times in an end-of-year interview.

      "Gay people are a very important part of the Church, and the Church actually needs them if it is to understand and relate to the world
      at large."

      The law on civil partnerships was correcting an injustice: "There's a real sense of putting something right, and I welcome that," he
      said. But, the use of the word "marriage", because it assumed a sexual relationship, was "not helpful" . "I support the civil partnership because it does affirm a human relationship, and gives rights in terms of next of kin, financially, that was not possible before.

      "The thing that really sticks in the throats of a number of people is coming to terms with the fact that, for many gay people, entering into civil partnership is about a long-term committed and loving relationship.

      Whether people find that understandable or acceptable actually is their problem," he said.