U.K. Ex-Gay group gives up

  • Erny
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
      For those who don't get Planet Out news...thought you may be interested.
      U.K. "Ex-Gay" Group Gives Up
      PlanetOut News Staff
      Wednesday, January 31, 2001 / 09:18 PM
      SUMMARY: A British "ex-gay" leader admits he's never been able to change
      himself let alone anyone else, and announces an exodus from Exodus.

      The long-time leader of an "ex-gay" group in Britain has concluded that
      sexual orientation cannot be changed, Gay.com reported January 29. Jeremy
      Marks' High Wycombe-based group Courage has been granted a two-year
      "sabbatical leave" by the umbrella group Exodus International "to explore
      its new direction and practice" and then report back. Courage had been
      pursuing a mission to help "those caught between homosexuality and
      Christianity" by supporting them to take "the road out of homosexuality"
      through prayer, and in Exodus' words to attain "sexual purity" through its
      renunciation. But now Marks, a gay minister, is quoted as saying, "We are
      definitely wanting to be separated from the 'ex-gay' label and be more
      focused on supporting Christians who are gay." After fourteen years, he
      said, "None of the people we've counseled have converted no matter how much
      effort and prayer they've put into it. There is much more benefit to the
      honest view."

      The American Psychological Association and American Psychiatric Association,
      among other professional groups, have issued warnings of the unproven
      effectiveness and possible harmfulness of "change" programs. Marks finds the
      harm of the "ex-gay" movement in the "internal war" fought by those who
      presume that as gays and lesbians they cannot be good Christians. While
      Marks remains faithful to the vows he made to his wife of nine years, he
      admits -- distinguishing restraint from denial -- that, "In truth, my own
      orientation has not changed."

      Potential Paradigm Shift
      The news of Courage's conversion comes less than five months after Exodus
      International was embarrassed by the discovery of its "poster boy" John
      Paulk in a Washington, D.C. gay bar (see PlanetOut News of September 21,
      2000). The gay and lesbian Human Rights Campaign (HRC), which has made a
      study of the harm done to individuals by programs attempting to change gays
      and lesbians into heterosexuals, seized on the news to call on Exodus
      International members like Colorado-based Focus on the Family's "Love Won
      Out" seminars to advise their participants of the incident rather than being
      "guilty of willfully misleading those in attendance."

      Marks says that Exodus leaders -- "in most cases, wonderful, caring
      people" -- "are facing the possibility that we could have been wrong" about
      changing homosexual orientation, and that, "The potential is a major
      paradigm shift after 25 years." HRC's Wayne Besen said, "This latest failure
      presents a wonderful opportunity for Exodus to reevaluate their mission and
      to begin an honest dialogue with themselves and the public." However Marks
      has little expectation of that kind of change in "orientation" actually
      occurring either.

      The religious right has often used the notion that gays and lesbians can
      change their orientation as an argument against making them a protected
      category in human rights and hate crimes laws.

      Copyright © 1995-1999 PlanetOut Corporation. All Copyright & Trademark
      Rights Reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001

        Thanks for that Erny. As you know only too well I’m a little distracted at the moment, so I missed the article on planetout.

        The gap in the ex-gay movement gives us an opportunity to step in and help people in genuine need.  I.e. resolving their fatih/sexuality issues.

        Can I encourage you (list members) to take ownership and actively promote this group by whatever means you feel are appropriate.

        I know that this forum has already been of benefit to a number of people. Let’s make it even more effective. There are many out there that can be touched.  I remember well the time I thought I was alone in my struggles and history till I entered cyberspace.

        Would you like to use this tool to help others.  I’ll keep you posted as the numbers increase.

        Thanks for your assistance.

        http://www.egroups.com/group/Exex-gay

        "There is the illusion that homosexuals only have sex and heterosexuals fall in love..  Boy George"