Reparative therapy?

  • Legal Alien
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hi folks,

      i've just spent an hour or two having a discussion with someone online who thinks that homosexuality is all about loneliness and confused friendships. He recommended a book on reparative therapy. It all sounded a bit too simplistic for me, though I could see that there might be some truth for some people. I'd be interested to hear your opinions!
      (it sounds a bit like the discredited ex-gay stuff, but I don't know enough to comment)

      Cheers,

      Alan

      --

      Whatever you Wanadoo:
      http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/

    • Anthony Venn-Brown Personal Coach
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
        HI Alan

        That guy is living with a very old concept.....that died years ago.
        Homosexuality has nothing to do with loneliness or confused friendships. He
        should see a therapist maybe but not one who does reparative
        therapy.........it doesn't' work except for the therapist who keeps taking
        money of people who need to be helped to acceptance.

        http://www.hrc.org/Content/ContentGroups/Publications1/Mission_Impossible/ch
        ange.pdf

        http://www.psych.org/pnews/99-01-15/therapy.html

        http://www.apa.org/pubinfo/answers.html#conversiontherapies

        hope this helps.........there is a lot more info out there

        My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
        forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be accepted,
        celebrated, and lived with integrity.

        i've just spent an hour or two having a discussion with someone online who
        thinks that homosexuality is all about loneliness and confused friendships.
        He recommended a book on reparative therapy. It all sounded a bit too
        simplistic for me, though I could see that there might be some truth for
        some people. I'd be interested to hear your opinions!
        (it sounds a bit like the discredited ex-gay stuff, but I don't know enough
        to comment)

        Cheers,

        Alan

        --

        Whatever you Wanadoo:
        http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/

        http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/id/7098.htm

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005

          Alan….sounds a bit too far fetched for me.  So, if I am lonely and confused about my friendship with people, then that means I am gay……Hmmmmm!!!!