RE: [Exex-gay] Re: HI from Anthony

  • Life Coach
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 10 8:58 PM

      I think this is a very worthwhile discussion Derrick.

      I just received an email from someone I knew way back when I was preaching who has just finished my book. He asked the same question many have asked. ‘You seem happy with being gay……..but do you have sex?’ I find it intriguing that they should ask such a personal question ……and so up front. What is the purpose behind the question I ask myself. Is it genuine inquiry or do they wan t to label me ask immoral if I say Yes.

      I can’t imagine myself asking that question of a heterosexual Christian…….nor would they…….its none of  my business.

      As the bible has many levels of interpretation…….can we leave it up to the individual to decide how they should live their lives in a clear conscience with God and live a life that is honouring to themselves and God?

      All interesting questions don’t you think?

      I know what works for me……..if I’m out of line….I know it……..and why would I chose to live a life that was honouring to me. It doesn’t make sense.

      Anthony

      Moderator and author of:

      'A Life of Unlearning -Coming Out of the Church - One Man's Struggle'

      To download Chapter 1 'The Confession' FREE click here.

      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 10 9:48 PM
        Re: [Exex-gay] Re: HI from Anthony Hello everyone.

        I have just joined this group and have been following the interesting conversations re: sex in a relationship.  I have some thoughts I would like to share with all of you.

        I am a 38 yr old man who strongly believes in Jesus Christ.  As I got to know myself, slowly emerging from denial, I realised that I am attracted to male-male intimacy – a gift I am still discovering.  I feel that physical involvement is a natural progression in any relationship that already enjoys a deep, one-to-one, spiritual, emotional, and intellectual connection i.e. One based on love and trust.  In this context I cannot see how physical love can hurt a person, in fact, I believe that it is natural.  I believe that physical involvement in the absence of the other dimensions to the relationship, is destructive because it fragments the individual.  The body is separated from the mind and the spirit, in its hunger to fulfil its own end.  This is not the way of a person who wants to align himself to the purpose that God has chosen for him.  Of course, none of us is perfect.  There are always temptations.  We will not always succeed to do what we know we should – but we should at least know what it is we believe in and stand for, and hopefully strive for.

        Incidentally, all of the comments above apply to “gay” or “straight” relationships.  A person of God is a person of God, irrespective of how far he has come on his spiritual journey, and irrespective of “passions” he controls or does not control.

        With love in Christ,
        Chat.
      • rolando_davidian
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 10 10:09 PM
          Too many people go right to the sex issue when they meet or know of
          a gay person. But they fail to see that our sexual orientation is
          but a part of us, albeit one that is important. But still, a part.
          For me, being in love with someone special is a beautiful thing
          regardless of gender. I happen to love other men and I am not
          ashamed to say it. But I will not just go out and find men to have
          sex with. For me, there has to be something special going on.
          However I will never judge anyone for going out and having sex. That
          is between them and God. I have a friend at work who always tells me
          that being gay is just a choice, and that if I wanted to bad enough,
          I could change. I come back with this... I ask him if he chose to
          love women, or was it something that was natural to him? He cannot
          answer this question, because it would prove my point that
          homosexuality is not a sickness or disease. Many of us who are gay
          instinctively knew it from an early age, and we fought against our
          desires by trying to tell ourselves it was just a phase and so on.
          But deep down we knew it was no phase. The hardest thing for me was
          to admit to myself that I was gay; it took me almost 18 years to
          admit it. I danced around the entire issue, had a few girlfriends to
          please the family and to try and convince myself that if I just
          found the right woman, I'd be straight. I can remember a Pentecostal
          preacher anointing me with oil and praying that the "spirit of
          homosexuality" would come out of me. Needless to say, afterwards I
          was still as gay as before. You hear many times in the media that
          people have gone from gay to straight. But have they really? Upon
          closer scrutiny, many times the person still experiences same-sex
          attraction. They might even be in heterosexual marriages, but that
          desire is still inside them. It will always be if they were truly
          gay to begin with.

          --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, "Life Coach" <lifecoach@m...> wrote:
          > I think this is a very worthwhile discussion Derrick.
          >
          > I just received an email from someone I knew way back when I was
          preaching
          > who has just finished my book. He asked the same question many
          have asked.
          > 'You seem happy with being gay....but do you have sex?' I find it
          intriguing
          > that they should ask such a personal question ..and so up front.
          What is the
          > purpose behind the question I ask myself. Is it genuine inquiry or
          do they
          > wan t to label me ask immoral if I say Yes.
          >
          > I can't imagine myself asking that question of a heterosexual
          > Christian...nor would they...its none of my business.
          >
          > As the bible has many levels of interpretation...can we leave it
          up to the
          > individual to decide how they should live their lives in a clear
          conscience
          > with God and live a life that is honouring to themselves and God?
          >
          > All interesting questions don't you think?
          >
          > I know what works for me....if I'm out of line..I know it....and
          why would I
          > chose to live a life that was honouring to me. It doesn't make
          sense.

          > Anthony
          > Moderator and author of:
          > 'A Life of Unlearning -Coming Out of the Church - One Man's
          Struggle'
          > To download Chapter 1 'The Confession' FREE click here
          > <http://www.anthonyvennbrown.com/book.html> .
          > My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
          > forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be
          accepted,
          > celebrated, and lived with integrity.

          My
          > > parents highly suspect it, although I told them several years
          back
          > > then had to recount it because they threatened to disown me. And
          > > because my dad said "the angels were coming to take him home" if
          > > did not renounce it. I was scared and did not want to lose my dad
          > > whom I love. But the feelings for men are still there. I suppose
          > > they always will be. But why, why me? Am I being selfish to ask
          > > these questions?
          > > >
          > > > Anthony Venn-Brown - Personal Coach <anthony.venn-brown@p...>
          > > wrote: Hi Anthony,
          > > >
          > > > I'm still alive, so I guess that's good. I'm just having a hard
          > > time coming to terms with my sexuality. It seems so unfair to
          have
          > > to go through this. I know it in my heart, although I still
          cannot
          > > personally accept it. And I have been through 9 years of
          > counseling.
          > > Where else can I turn? God Bless you for your ministry Anthony.
          It
          > > is so needed in the world today. My parents are deeply
          > conservative
          > > christians and they see all gays as being sexual perverts. This
          is
          > > unfortunate because not all of us fit into the stereotypical
          > > homosexual mold.
          > > >
          > > > Anthony Venn-Brown - Personal Coach <anthony.venn-brown@p...>
          > > wrote:
          > > >

          > > > HI Rolando
          > > >
          > > > v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url
          > > (#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape
          > > {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
          > > > Hi Rolando
          > > >
          > > > That's terrible emotional blackmail from your Dad Rolando.
          > > >

          > > > I found a book "conversations with God' by Neale Donald Walsh
          > very
          > > helpful to restore my faith and understanding of God. We hadn't
          > > spoken for 6 years because he didn't answer my prayer to make me
          > > straight. I realise now why. It was a stupid prayerand based on
          > > the flawed belief that being homosexual meant I was unacceptable
          > > God.
          > > >

          > > > I now think completely differentlylove my life..love
          > God..and
          > > love being gay.
          > > >

          > > > Can I post our conversation in our group please..there may be
          > > others who would like to offer their thoughts.
          > > >
          > > > Anthony V-B
          > > >
          > > > The problem is not just with my sexuality, I am also clinically
          > > depressed. Always have been. But the sexuality issue has
          > exacerbated
          > > everything else. I do not see myself as a christian anymore; I
          > have
          > > felt such pain from the church and alienation that I cannot trust
          > > God anymore. I have a deep love for God, but I do not know for
          > sure
          > > that He feels the same way towards me because of the sexuality.
          My
          > > parents highly suspect it, although I told them several years
          back
          > > then had to recount it because they threatened to disown me. And
          > > because my dad said "the angels were coming to take him home" if
          > > did not renounce it. I was scared and did not want to lose my dad
          > > whom I love. But the feelings for men are still there. I suppose
          > > they always will be. But why, why me? Am I being selfish to ask
          > > these questions?

          <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/virus/*http:/promotions.yaho
          o.com/n
          > ew_mail/static/protection.html> - Helps protect you from nasty
          viruses.

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > click here

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ug7jp7/M=298184.5285298.6392945.30011
          76/D=gr

          oups/S=1705076472:HM/EXP=1092273435/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http
          ://www.
          > netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350>
          >

          > _____
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          of
        • Life Coach

            .
            > My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
            > forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be
            accepted,
            > celebrated, and lived with integrity.

            on the web, go to:

            > *         To unsubscribe from
            this group, send an email to:

            > *         Your use of Yahoo!
            Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
            of
            > Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
            .

          • Life Coach
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 11 1:16 AM
              Re: [Exex-gay] Re: HI from Anthony

              Hi Chat man

              welcome

              Your post just reminded me how unhealthy my sex life was when I suppressed my sexuality. I ended up with a sexual addiction. I think that this in not uncommon.

              Acceptance has brought me total freedom from that……and not one dollar spent on therapy……hehe.

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 11 9:31 AM
                And you know something else, Anthony? So many people will accept
                scientific evidence as truth when the issue involved suits them. But
                when they hear evidence to prove that being gay is not a choice,
                that it is the way we are made then they get upset and call the
                scientific evidence faulty. So hypocritcal in my view. And the right-
                wing christian community jumps on things like this, and they take
                out ads in the newspapers claiming that homosexuals have been
                changed. And what's really funny is they parade these people out
                there who are in SUCH denial about their true feelings. It sickens
                me. Here the ex-gay ministries are doing more harm than good. I have
                been through an ex-gay ministry and I call tell you this much; the
                people there ARE gay. They're just trying to fight their natural
                instincts. It's sad. I quit after 7 weeks because I realized that I
                could not change what I am. I wish they could see that also for
                themselves.

                --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, "Life Coach" <lifecoach@m...> wrote:
                > Its ridiculous that in this day…..despite all the evidence……people
                still
                > belief sexual orientation is a choice.
                >
                > They are just displaying their ignorance………no homosexual would
                ever say
                > that.
                >
                > Anthony
                > Moderator and author of:
                > 'A Life of Unlearning -Coming Out of the Church - One Man's
                Struggle'
                > To download Chapter 1 'The Confession' FREE click here
                > <http://www.anthonyvennbrown.com/book.html> .
                > My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
                > forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be
                accepted,
                > celebrated, and lived with integrity.

                Terms
                > of
                > > Service < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > click here

                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129gv8ne2/M=298184.5285298.6392945.30011
                76/D=gr

                oups/S=1705076472:HM/EXP=1092287430/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http
                ://www.
                > netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350>
                >

                > _____
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                of
              • Life Coach

                  And you know something else, Anthony? So many people will accept
                  scientific evidence as truth when the issue involved suits them. But
                  when they hear evidence to prove that being gay is not a choice,
                  that it is the way we are made then they get upset and call the
                  scientific evidence faulty. So hypocritcal in my view. And the right-
                  wing christian community jumps on things like this, and they take
                  out ads in the newspapers claiming that homosexuals have been
                  changed. And what's really funny is they parade these people out
                  there who are in SUCH denial about their true feelings. It sickens
                  me. Here the ex-gay ministries are doing more harm than good. I have
                  been through an ex-gay ministry and I call tell you this much; the
                  people there ARE gay. They're just trying to fight their natural
                  instincts. It's sad. I quit after 7 weeks because I realized that I
                  could not change what I am. I wish they could see that also for
                  themselves.

                  --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, "Life Coach" <lifecoach@m...> wrote:
                  > Its ridiculous that in this day…..despite all the evidence……people
                  still
                  > belief sexual orientation is a choice.
                  >
                  > They are just displaying their ignorance………no homosexual would
                  ever say
                  > that.
                  >
                  > Anthony
                  > Moderator and author of:

                • rolando_davidian
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 11 4:38 PM
                    Well, I figured that I'd give it a fair shake since during this time
                    I was extremely unhappy about my sexuality. But I soon learned that
                    the people involved with this were not heterosexual themselves,
                    although they tried to "appear" that way. Not to be funny, but
                    my "gaydar" was going off bigtime. It's hard to sit there and see
                    people suffer knowing that they cannot change. I left after 7 weeks
                    although Tom Cole (the director) begged me over the phone to not
                    quit. I told him I was gay and that I couldn't do anything about it.
                    He disagreed, but I didn't expect anything less from him. And he's a
                    nice guy and sincere in what he is doing, but he's sincerely wrong.
                    So I won't say anything unkind about him, just that he is wrong. Yet
                    it still took me several years after the ex-gay ministry experience
                    to really come to terms with my homosexuality. But I would not
                    change IF I could. I feel that my sexuality has caused me to be more
                    sensitive to people and their problems. And I genuinely love people.
                    So all in all, it was a good experience for me.

                  • Life Coach
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 11 5:44 PM

                      Tom Cole eh? Is he still working out of Detroit?

                      There is an excellent book I can recommend to ALL. I’m reading it now for the second time.

                      ‘Anything but Straight –Unmasking the scandals and lies behind the exgay myth’ by Wayne Besen.

                      There is nothing like it on the market…….excellent research….and I think ….well written.

                      wrote:
                      > > Its ridiculous that in this day…..despite all the evidence……
                      people
                      > still
                      > > belief sexual orientation is a choice.
                      > >
                      > > They are just displaying their ignorance………no homosexual would
                      > ever say
                      > > that.
                      > >
                      > > Anthony
                      > > Moderator and author of:

                    • rolando_davidian
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 12 11:23 AM
                        Not sure if he is still working in Detroit. I know he was living in
                        Port Huron at that time. It was called Detroit Reconciliation
                        Ministries when I was in it. They followed the Desert Stream
                        Ministries' guideline format. Andy Comiskey is who started that I
                        believe.

                        --- In Exex-gay@yahoogroups.com, "Life Coach" <lifecoach@m...> wrote:
                        > Tom Cole eh? Is he still working out of Detroit?
                        >
                        > There is an excellent book I can recommend to ALL. I'm reading it
                        now for
                        > the second time.
                        >
                        > `Anything but Straight –Unmasking the scandals and lies behind the
                        exgay
                        > myth' by Wayne Besen.
                        >
                        > There is nothing like it on the market…….excellent research….and I
                        > think ….well written.
                        >
                        > Anthony
                        > Moderator and author of:
                        > 'A Life of Unlearning -Coming Out of the Church - One Man's
                        Struggle'
                        > To download Chapter 1 'The Confession' FREE click here
                        > <http://www.anthonyvennbrown.com/book.html> .
                        > My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
                        > forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be
                        accepted,
                        > celebrated, and lived with integrity.

                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129g1up25/M=298184.5285298.6392945.30011
                        76/D=gr

                        oups/S=1705076472:HM/EXP=1092353973/A=2164331/R=0/SIG=11eaelai9/*http
                        ://www.