help pedestrians get through

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2008
      I know this doesn't sound like bike fun so much, but it's more about
      diplomacy.
      Whenever a street is plowed for snow, the vehicle pushes the snow from
      the street (where cars drive) to the curb (where bikes ride and where
      pedestrians have to get across). Now since we unfortunately don't have
      a fleet of these
      <http://www.channel3000.com/news/15388674/detail.html?rss=c3k&psp=news>,
      we can't realistically help clear the bike lanes. But we /can/ help
      folks who walk (which more of us are doing at this time) to get across
      the street. You can see from the pictures;
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/60961560@N00/3138260795/ - before

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/60961560@N00/3138261243/in/photostream/ -
      during

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/60961560@N00/3139089280/in/photostream/ -
      after
      that the mountains of snow which build up along the side of the road
      make it difficult to get across the street or to board a bus. So I
      implore you to take a few minutes (shouldn't be more than 20-30) and
      clear a path on one or two intersections. Especially for those of you
      who can confidently ride, you can imagine what this looks like in the
      mind of someone who walks to see a bike rider carrying a shovel and
      clearing an access for people. It's super amazing PR.
      So thanks for doing this and if you need a shovel, don't hesitate to
      send me a note. I've got a couple.
      best wishes to you and we'll have to do a 'Thank God I can see the
      ground' ride very soon.

      --
      Aaron

      /"No single snowflake claims responsibility for the avalanche."/