We're #1 once again -biking plays a huge part

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 22, 2003
      New York Times
      <http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/22/portland-again-tops-a-sustainable-cities-list/>

      September 22, 2008, /11:00 am/

      Portland Again Tops a Sustainable Cities List

      By Andrew C. Revkin
      <http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/author/andrew-c-revkin/>

      Portland is bike city.
      Commuters in Portland, Ore.
      <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/05/us/05bike.html>, can take a mix of
      trains and bikes to the office. (Stuart Isett for The New York Times)

      Portland, Ore., has done it again, topping SustainLane.com’s new ranking
      of the 50 biggest American cities in order of their environmental and
      social sustainability <http://www.sustainlane.com/us-city-rankings/>.
      (Portland has been No. 1 since the survey began in 2005.) “Sustainable”
      is of course a term that is notoriously ambiguous, so you should explore
      how the group does its assessments and what criteria are used. There’s a
      good summary in a recent Grist post by James Elsen
      <http://www.grist.org/feature/2008/05/12/defining/>of SustainLane.

      It’s quite an interesting effort, looking not only at familiar variables
      like commuting options but also less obvious ones like preparedness for
      disasters. SustainLane is a Web site and publisher aggregating tips and
      reviews on products, programs, and lifestyles that reviewers judge to be
      good for your health, well-being, and a thriving environment.

      Below are the 2008 sustainable city
      <http://www.sustainlane.com/us-city-rankings/> rankings, with the
      previous rankings (in 2006) in parentheses. If you live in one of these
      communities, feel free to weigh in with your own ranking.

      1) Portland (1)

      2) San Francisco (2)

      3) Seattle (3)

      4) Chicago (4)

      5) New York (6)

      6) Boston (7)

      7) Minneapolis (10)

      8) Philadelphia (8)

      9) Oakland (5)

      10) Baltimore (11)

      --
      Aaron

      /"No single snowflake claims responsibility for the avalanche."/
    • Aaron
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 22, 2008