One night only

  • SUGATA
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi Folks,

      I am with Heather on this. I plan to be back to be back in town on Sat early morning as well.

      Regards,

      Sugata

      On 1 Jul 2008 13:32:04 -0000, ExchangeCycleTours@yahoogroups.com <ExchangeCycleTours@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Messages In This Digest (8 Messages)

      Messages

      1a.

      Clackamas Camping - July 4/5/6

      Posted by: "Matt Picio" execdir@...   matt.picio

      Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:48 pm (PDT)

      Exchange Cycle Tours Presents: Bike Camping!

      This upcoming weekend is the Fourth of July, and in accordance with
      the long weekend, ECT is taking a long trip up the Clackamas!

      This trip will be a bit different from previous excursions - we'll be
      riding up Highway 224 and NF-46 into the National Forest into the
      realm of pristine streams and old-growth forest, to camp in primitive
      settings outside of the USFS campground system. This is an
      exploratory camping trip, meaning we'll figure out a decent campsite
      on the fly when we get out there. This will likely be the most
      advanced camping trip of the year in terms of skills needed - our
      next camping trip at Oxbow will be much more beginner-friendly.

      This trip will start from the Cleveland MAX station (eastbound end-of-
      the-line in Gresham) at 9am sharp. There will be no on-site
      facilities: no showers, no toilets, no potable water. We will pass a
      number of campgrounds on the way out where water can be obtained. We
      may also haul wood from Estacada for a fire - fire risk is low, so
      fires *are* permitted in the National Forest at this time.

      Details:

      ECT Clackamas Camping Trip

      Dates: Friday, July 4th through Sunday, July 6th
      Departure Time: 9am July 4th, from Cleveland Ave. MAX station
      Arrival back in Gresham: late evening Sunday
      One-Way Mileage: 60-70 miles
      Weather Forecast: Party-Mostly Sunny, highs of 77-83, lows of 53-55.
      Slight chance of showers.

      Additional Notes:

      1. We are actively seeking someone to provide emergency SAG
      service, but this should be considered a fully self-supported ride
      2. This is *NOT* a beginner ride. While we are not discouraging
      beginners from coming, you should be aware that you may not enjoy
      this ride as much as you would an easier trip
      3. Bring extra food and water. There will be a food stop in
      Estacada, which has a full-service grocery and a full pharmacy (which
      also has spare tubes and minor bike supplies)
      4. Bring a minimum of 2 tubes and a frame pump - Hwy 224 has
      gravel, and sometimes small sharp rocks near the canyon walls.
      5. Bring a light. It will get very dark at night - there will
      be no nearby light sources, and finding your way to a suitable
      sanitary location at night could be problematic.
      6. Bring a small shovel and some toilet paper (unscented,
      biodegradable) - the campsite will have NO toilet. Talk to me about
      proper "disposal" techniques.
      7. The Clackamas River is COLD, but you *can* swim in it.
      Assuming it gets up in the 80s, you might want a swimsuit and a towel.
      8. Bring suncreen.
      9. We will likely find a camp on Friday night for the whole
      trip, and remain there all day Saturday. If we are close enough to
      the Big Bottom old-growth area, I will lead an exploratory hike for
      those who want to see large old Douglas-fir trees and Western
      Redcedar.
      10. Notify someone before you leave that you will be camping up
      the Clackamas River between Austin Hot Springs and Big Bottom, that
      you are leaving on July 4th and returning on July 6th, and to call
      911 and notify the Clackamas County Sheriff if they don't hear from
      you by noon on Monday the 7th. While I don't expect any problems,
      the possibility always exists that one or more of us could encounter
      an issue while up in the National Forest.
      11. Bring sealed plastic bags or other airtight storage for
      food. You don't want raccoons fighting over your food in the middle
      of the night.

      Minimum Gear List

      - Tent/Hammock/Tarp to sleep under
      - Sleeping Bag or blankets
      - Riding clothes
      - Comfortable shoes
      - Bike lights
      - Additional light for in-camp
      - 2L or more of water storage
      - Food for 2 days
      - Spare batteries for lights
      - First Aid Kit
      - Compass
      - Emergency Blanket (Mylar)
      - Whistle
      - Waterproof Matches
      - Patch Kit
      - 2 Spare Tubes
      - Tire Levers
      - Hex Wrenches/Multitool
      - Plastic or folding shovel
      - Toilet paper
      - Sunscreen
      - Frame pump
      - Some reliable means of telling time

      Recommended Additional Gear

      - USFS Map - Clackamas Ranger District, Mt. Hood National Forest
      - Camp stove and fuel
      - Sunglasses
      - Swimsuit
      - Towel
      - Sandals
      - A Book/Game/Something to Do
      - FRS Radio
      - Zip Ties
      - Duct Tape
      - Bungie Cords

      Please contact Matt Picio at 503.781.5095 or Steven Kung at
      503.957.6672 with any questions – thanks!

      -matt

      1b.

      Re: Clackamas Camping - July 4/5/6

      Posted by: "heather williams" htappy@...   htappy2003

      Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:40 pm (PDT)

      Since I can only do one night, I plan on returning Saturday morning
      back to Portland, so if anyone would like to ride back early with me,
      let me know and we can coordinate.

      -Heather

      On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Matt Picio
      <execdir@...> wrote:
> [...]
      > - 2 Spare Tubes
      > - Tire Levers
      > - Hex Wrenches/Multitool
      > - Plastic or folding shovel
      > - Toilet paper
      > - Sunscreen
      > - Frame pump
      > - Some reliable means of telling time
      >
      > Recommended Additional Gear
      >
      > - USFS Map - Clackamas Ranger District, Mt. Hood National Forest
      > - Camp stove and fuel
      > - Sunglasses
      > - Swimsuit
      > - Towel
      > - Sandals
      > - A Book/Game/Something to Do
      > - FRS Radio
      > - Zip Ties
      > - Duct Tape
      > - Bungie Cords
      >
      > Please contact Matt Picio at 503.781.5095 or Steven Kung at
      > 503.957.6672 with any questions – thanks!

      2a.

      Updated: Clackamas Camping July4-6

      Posted by: "Matt Picio" execdir@...   matt.picio

      Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:12 pm (PDT)

[...]

      Map: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Clackamas-Camping-Out-to-
      Big-Bottom
      Cue Sheet: http://www.bikely.com/cuesheet/route/Clackamas-Camping-Out-
      to-Big-Bottom

      NOTE: To get to Cleveland Ave. before 9am, you must board MAX by
      8:32am if coming from Gateway, 8:06am if coming from Pioneer Square,
      and 7:43am if coming from Beaverton TC.
      If you are riding out from Hillsboro and taking MAX, you need to
      board by 7:15am and I will buy you coffee and a donut. (Proof of
      time/place required)

      *TEAM HARDCORE*
      Those of you who truly want to ride all day can join us at Voodoo Too
      at 1501 NE Davis St. at 7am. We will have coffee and a donut and
      head on our way at 7:15am out to Gresham on the following route:
      http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Voodoo-Too-to-Gresham-MAX-end-of-
      line

[...]

      12. It's 4th of July weekend. There will be traffic - lots of it,
      until we clear the road to Timothy Lake. There will be a few spots
      where we can avoid the traffic, but in spots it'll be... unpleasant.
      You have been warned.
      13. After Estacada, there is seldom, if ever, cellphone reception.
      It is highly unlikely that you will be able to reach anyone from the
      location we are camping in. Please keep that in mind.

      Thanks! Hope to see some of you out there! Following is ECT's club
      guidelines and the minimum and recommended gear lists.

[...]

      Our Club Ride General Guidelines/Info:

      Ride Leader and contact information:

      Matthew Picio - ECT Volunteer
      matt [dot] picio [ at] gmail [dot ] com
      503.781.5095
      http://www.cyclewild.org

      Community Exchange Cycle Touring Club and Bike School
      http://www.exchangecycletours.org

      2b.

      Re: Updated: Clackamas Camping July4-6

      Posted by: "Steven Kung" sfnkung@...   sfkpdx

      Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:49 pm (PDT)

      Congratulations Matt on the new organization CycleWild.org!!

      It's so cool!

      Thanks for creating something our world desperately needs; it's wonderful to
      see people truly follow their hearts.

      Steven

      2c.

      Re: Updated: Clackamas Camping July4-6

      Posted by: "Steven Kung" sfnkung@...   sfkpdx

      Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:39 pm (PDT)

      Apologies for my poor recollection Matt... proof that age definitely does
      not bring me good memory (nor wisdom I suspect)!! Great job on the
      Pedalpalooza Bike Camping 101 class, I hear very positive feedback all
      around. Looking forward to future events and classes you will host. Please
      definitely keep the folks here posted.

      Thanks Matt!
      Steven

      On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:21 PM, matt picio <matt.picio@...> wrote:

      > Well, not exactly new ....

      2d.

      Re: Updated: Clackamas Camping July4-6

      Posted by: "Heather Williams" htappy@...   htappy2003

      Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:40 pm (PDT)

      Dude! I'm so hard-core, but 7:00? That's not just hard-core, that's
      downright dotty!

      I'll see those of you from Team Cuckoo Bananas at Gresham....

      (will you bring me a donut?)

      :)
      heather

      Matt Picio wrote:

> [...]
      > Sunscreen
      > Frame pump
      > Some reliable means of telling time
      >
      > Recommended Additional Gear
      >
      > USFS Map - Clackamas Ranger District, Mt. Hood National Forest
      > Camp stove and fuel
      > Sunglasses
      > Swimsuit
      > Towel
      > Sandals
      > A Book/Game/Something to Do
      > FRS Radio
      > Zip Ties
      > Duct Tape
      > Bungie Cords
      >
      > Our Club Ride General Guidelines/Info:
      >
      > Ride Leader and contact information:
      >
      > Matthew Picio - ECT Volunteer
      > matt [dot] picio [ at] gmail [dot ] com
      > 503.781.5095
      > http://www.cyclewild.org <http://www.cyclewild.org>
      >
      > Community Exchange Cycle Touring Club and Bike School

      2e.

      Re: Updated: Clackamas Camping July4-6

      Posted by: "Steven Kung" sfnkung@...   sfkpdx

      Tue Jul 1, 2008 12:34 am (PDT)

      With the latest TriMet rules re bikes on MAX, us of the more gooey-core
      persuasion might be thankful for the few open hooks vacated by Team
      Cuckoo....

      hey hope it's not that $5 Voodoo bucket waiting next to the MAX tracks -
      that'd be doping n not fair

      -s

      On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:39 PM, Heather Williams <htappy@...> wrote:

      > Dude! I'm so hard-core, but 7:00? That's not just hard-core, that's
      > downright dotty!
      >
      > I'll see those of you from Team Cuckoo Bananas at Gresham....
      >
      > (will you bring me a donut?)
      >
      > :)
      > heather

      3.

      Re: [shift] Clackamas Bike Camping - July 4/5/6

      Posted by: "Aaron" aaron@...   earthscope

      Tue Jul 1, 2008 12:57 am (PDT)

      Here are some resources for bug repellent now that we're entering the
      warm season

      The first line of defense against mosquitos is to seal their point of
      entry. Mosquitos are most active in the early morning and early evening.
      They seek areas of still air because they are hampered by breezes. Close
      windows and doors on the side of your house which are opposite the
      breeze. Then try:

      * In a New England Journal of Medicine study, oil of eucalyptus at 30%
      concentration prevented mosquito bites for 120.1 minutes (the eucalyptus
      oil must have a minimum of 70% cineole content, the active therapeutic
      ingredient.) Citronella, a common alternative to DEET, performed poorly,
      warding off bugs for only 20 minutes.
      * If you're using the barbeque, throw a bit of sage or rosemary on the
      coals to repel mosquitos.
      * An effective natural bug repellent, mix one part garlic juice with 5
      parts water in a small spray bottle. Shake well before using. Spray
      lightly on exposed body parts for an effective repellent lasting up to 5
      - 6 hours. Strips of cotton cloth can also be dipped in this mixture and
      hung in areas, such as patios, as a localized deterrent.
      * Neem oil is a natural vegetable oil extracted from the Neem tree in
      India. The leaves, seeds and seed oil of the Neem tree contain sallanin,
      a compound which has effective mosquito repelling properties. Neem oil
      is a natural product and is safe to use. Look for new Neem Oil-based
      commercial products on the market.
      * Campers often report that the very best mosquito repellent is Avon
      Skin-So-Soft® bath oil mixed half and half with rubbing alcohol.

      The most common -- and most effective -- natural insect repellents are
      various essential oils. Clove oil and citronella (rose geranium) are the
      most effective against mosquitoes, but be careful with clove oil and use
      it sparingly -- it can be a skin irritant. Other fairly effective
      essential oils include: Lemon grass, eucalyptus, castor oil, peppermint,
      tea tree oil, lavender, and cedar. You can buy cedar oil in spray-on
      bottles at your local pet store.
      It's important to remember when using essential oils: Don't use them
      internally! They need to be used externally on your skin and garments.
      Be sure to test any oils on a small patch of skin before applying widely
      to your body to avoid allergic reactions or skin irritations.
      You can make your own insect repellent sprays by combining rubbing
      alcohol (or witch hazel, vodka, or olive oil) with one of the listed
      essential oils (about 10-to-1, alcohol-to-oil ratio). Shake well before
      each use.

      To make a lotion, use: 2 ounces distilled water, 2 ounces olive oil, and
      about 120 drops essential oil. Put the water into a deep mixing bowl,
      and using a wire whip, begin beating quickly while slowly drizzling in
      the olive oil. After oil is mixed into the distilled water, stir in the
      essential oil of your choice (citronella is probably the most effective
      for insect repellent use).
      Is DEET safe?
      The active ingredient in most chemical-based mosquito repellents is DEET
      (N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide), developed by the US military in the 1940s.
      This powerful chemical is absorbed readily into the skin, and should be
      used with caution.
      Common side-effects to DEET-based products include rash, swelling,
      itching and eye-irritation. often due to over-application. For safer
      use, consider the following:
      ~ The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that repellents used on
      children contain no more than 10% DEET. Parents should assist children
      in applying DEET-based products.
      ~ Lotions can be applied more effectively than sprays. Only a thin layer
      should be used.
      ~ Be careful to avoid areas near the eyes or mouth.
      ~ Wash skin exposed to DEET after coming in from mosquito areas.
      ~ Minimize exposed skin areas by wearing long-sleeved shirts and long
      pants, if possible.

      Recent research suggests that DEET products, used sparingly for brief
      periods, are relatively safe. Other research points to toxic
      encephalopathy associated with use of DEET insect repellents. Experts
      warn that DEET shouldn't be used in combination with sun-screen because
      DEET shouldn't be reapplied often.

      Thai lemon grass
      (Cymbopogon citratus) is a natural and effective mosquito repellent. It
      contains the natural oil, citronella, which is safe and effective; in
      fact, lemon grass citronella is considered more effective than true
      citronella as an insect repellent.
      You can buy Thai lemon grass at garden centers and supermarkets, and it
      grows readily into a clump about 15" across and about 2ft tall. To use
      as a mosquito repellent, break a stalk off from the clump, peel off the
      outer leaves, until you find the scallion-like stem at the base. Bend
      the stem between your fingers, loosening it, then rub it vigorously
      between your palms - it will soon become a pulpy, juicy mass. Rub this
      over all exposed skin, covering thoroughly at least once. You can also
      make a tincture using alcohol, for spray applications. Plantings around
      the patio will also help repel mosquitoes.

      Aaron
      BodyPower! <http://www.yourbodypower.org>
      /"No single snowflake claims responsibility for the avalanche."/

      matt picio wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > - 2 Spare Tubes
      >
      > - Tire Levers
      >
      > - Hex Wrenches/Multitool
      >
      > - Plastic or folding shovel
      >
      > - Toilet paper
      >
      > - Sunscreen
      >
      > - Frame pump
      >
      > - Some reliable means of telling time
      >
      > Recommended Additional Gear
      >
      > - USFS Map - Clackamas Ranger District, Mt. Hood National Forest
      >
      > - Camp stove and fuel
      >
      > - Sunglasses
      >
      > - Swimsuit
      >
      > - Towel
      >
      > - Sandals
      >
      > - A Book/Game/Something to Do
      >
      > - FRS Radio
      >
      > - Zip Ties
      >
      > - Duct Tape
      >
      > - Bungie Cords
      >
      > Please contact Matt Picio at 503.781.5095 or Steven Kung at
      > 503.957.6672 with any questions – thanks!

      Yahoo! News

      Odd News

      You won't believe

      it, but it's true