Fwd: This Wknd Beach Bike Camping - Weather Report, Schedule

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2008

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: matt picio <execdir@...>
      Date: Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:20 AM
      Subject: Weather Report, Schedule

      Current forecast for this weekend:

      Saturday: 30% chance of showers, mainly before 11am.  Cloudy, becoming mostly sunny with a high near 56.

      Saturday night: Mostly clear, low around 46.  NNW wind 9-16mph gusting to 20mph

      Sunday: Mostly sunny, high near 64.

      We'll have a 6-11mph headwind/crosswind on the trip out, and at the coast it will increase to 15-21mph with 24mph gusts.  That becomes a tailwind on the way home – wind is predicted to me fairly constant in direction all weekend.  We'll also have higher/lower tides than normal.  Since the weather is getting nicer throughout the day on Saturday, we should have a BEAUTIFUL sunset to watch on Saturday night.

      Hillsboro MAX: Arrive by 8:30am.  We *will* leave by 9am sharp – If you're not there, well, we'll see you when we get back – sorry!

      I originally estimated 10mph when moving – with the headwind, we will likely average 9mph at best.  I'm expecting to make a short stop in Forest Grove to adjust gear / bathroom stop / etc.  We should be leaving Forest Grove by 10am.  We should summit around 1pm, and be in Tillamook between 3 and 4pm.  Fred Meyer and Tillamook Cheese Factory lie about 1.5 miles north of town, and have pretty much anything we want, food-wise.  I will know where the booze stop is before we leave Saturday morning.  It's 12 miles from Tillamook to the park, which should take us about 2 hours considering the headwind and a probable 15-minute rest break somewhere in there.  If we limit the in-town stops at Fred Meyer and the Liquor store (and/or Tillamook Cheese Factory) to one hour, we should be at the park by 6pm, in plenty of time for sunset at 8:25pm.  Sunrise on Sunday is at 5:58am.

      We're planning on breaking camp at 9am and being on the road no later than 10am – that should put us back at Hillsboro no later than 6pm, probably earlier due to the tailwind and the lighter load.  On the Champoeg trip, we made nearly 1mph faster average speed, even though the route back was longer and had more elevation gain than the route out.

      Route Info:

      http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Cape-Lookout-from-Hillsboro

      Give me a holler if you have any questions!

      -matt picio

      executive director

      Community Exchange Cycle Touring Club and Bike School

      (Exchange Cycle Tours)

      http://www.exchangecycletours.org

      503.781.5095