Reminder - Saturday - The Holiday Train Ride

  • matt picio
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2007
      -------
      Ride Summary
      -------

      Who: People on bikes! Railfans, kids, and people who just want to see the
      train!
      What: Ride to see the SP4449 Steam Locomotive
      Where: Union Station, NW 6th and Irving
      When: Saturday, December 15th at 11am
      Why: Why Not? Maybe you like trains, maybe you just want an excuse to ride
      - come join us!

      Do you like trains? Do you like to ride your bike? Come join us this
      Saturday, December 15th as we ride from Portland's Union Station to Oaks
      Park to see one of the world's last remaining (and largest) operating steam
      engines - the SP4449!

      We're not planning to ride the 4449 (just riding TO where it is), but the
      ORHF is selling tickets to ride the 4449 from Oaks Park (in one of the
      passenger cars, NOT the locomotive) to the start of the Springwater Trail
      and back (a 5 mile ride). The trip lasts about 40 minutes and tickets cost
      $15.50 for adults and $9.00 for children. GO to
      http://www.orhf.org/events/07holiday/index.html for tickets, or see if they
      still have some available on-site when we get there.

      The ride is about 6 miles, and should take about an hour including stops.
      There are porta-potties at the end of the ride in Oaks Park. This is not a
      loop.

      It will likely be cold (high of 44 degrees), and possibly wet. Please dress
      to accommodate the weather. Near Oaks Park there are coffeeshops,
      restaurants and a New Seasons within 1/2 mile if you get hungry.

      Hope to see you there!

      -matt p.

      Pictures / Video of the 4449 from her December 9th, 2007 excursion:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattpicio/sets/72157603421905429/
      http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=mattpicio