CCC/ECT Holiday Bike Drive - Your Help Needed

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2006
      CCC/ECT Holiday Bike Drive - Your Help Needed

      The Community Exchange Cycle Touring Club/Bike School (ECT;
      ExchangeCycleTours.org) in partnership with the Community Cycling Center
      (CCC; CommunityCyclingCenter.org) is holding a Holiday Bike Donation Drive
      for the Lake Oswego and surrounding communities.

      Link: CCC/ECT Holiday Bike Drive Announcement

      The CCC gives out thousands of bicycles to qualified low-income households
      each year by recycling and recirculating donated bicycle from greater
      Portland. Hundreds of bicycle were also donated to villages in Africa this
      year. Every year before Christmas, the CCC holds celebratory events giving
      away hundreds of bicycles to deserving children from around Portland Metro.

      ECT organizes cultural exchanges, bicycle rides and tours, and delivers
      public service through free bike clinics and our Bike School operation.

      During this holiday season, in the spirit of giving, we hope those who have
      enjoyed more abundance can help those who have not.

      Both our organizations' volunteers and other LO community volunteers will
      host the collection, inspection, and preparation of donated bicycles at two
      drop-off sites on the east and west ends of Lake Oswego. Donors will receive
      tax deductible receipts from the CCC for their donations.

      We are soliciting support from local businesses and organizations for this
      Bike Drive event.

      From local bike shops we will ask for discount purchase coupons as thankyous
      for bicycle donors. From Lake Oswego School District, local businesses and
      organizations, we are asking for public awareness support by posting
      reminders on their listserves/mailing lists. From two local grocery stores
      we are asking to utilize parking lot space on event day as drop-off

      Date: 12/02/2006 (Saturday)

      Time: 10 AM - 5 PM

      Location: Lake Oswego (Collection Sites TBA)

      1. Flyer Creation: the event flyer will be posted and linked to at various
      websites, printed on posters and leaflets, and volunteer T-shirts. We need
      artists to create a graphical theme and layout.

      2. Event Day Support: set up collection tents, inspect bicycles, prep
      bicycles for transport (remove and stow pedals, turn handlebars), load bikes
      onto CCC collection truck, process donations, engage donors to participate
      in bike prep. No prerequisite mechanical knowledge necessary.

      3. Promotion: We need local public awareness. If you belong to any Lake
      Oswego, West Linn, SW Portland, Tigard, or Tualatin community business
      associations or public or private organizations, please help us get the word

      4. Food and Hot Beverage for Volunteers: we need donations of pastries,
      breads, coffee, hot coco, etc. on Event Day. (I have a camp stove, can use
      to cook up hot foods.)

      5. Entertainment: Open for suggestions - DJs? Musicians? Bike Tricks? Dance
      Troops? (I can play holiday music on my violin - anyone care to join me?)

      Thank you for your attention and I look forward to hearing from you!

      Steven Kung
      Community Exchange Cycle Touring Club
      Community Exchange Bike School

      Use your PC to make calls at very low rates