Mass Hysteria

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2004
      "....ergot poisoning. This is the same stuff that they make LSD out of and it can infect rye plants in certain conditions and then be consumed by humans."

      I think this is one good reason for the phenomena of mass hysteria.  In this case we can see an outside agent as a pathological reason for unusual behavior.  There is a case for communal behavior, where we look at the group as an entity, the same as an individual.  The communal bereavement of 9/11 is a good example of how an entire corpus of humans can be seen to be effected, predictably.

      The study of this aspect of social psychology if it is proper to call it that, has some very important aspects concerning modern law, and social outlawing.  Racial and prohibitionist law is based upon the use of social outlawing and fear, by the use of propaganda, to demonize factions of society.  This ploy by the authoritative social instrument, the 'state,' and comes from 'governments' as old as civilization itself.

      It seems to me there must be an aspect of evolutionary psychology that would look at the aspect of communal or social psychology and be able to recognize definite frameworks of reference.

      Tom Saunders

    • Carmi Turchick