Re: Response to Peter

  • peterdfisher2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2004
      Hi Tom

      Behaviour does not influence genes. At least not directly; You keep
      the genes you are born with for life. Until genetics was properly
      understood it was thought that aquired characteristics could somehow
      feed back into what was then called the germplasm.(So if a
      blacksmith developed big muscles his son would inherit them.) This
      view is most associated with the early French evolutionist J B
      Lamarck, but even Darwin considered that this might be happening.

      But if you mean that some innate behaviour might lead us not to pass
      on our genes to the next generation, then I agree that this could
      indeed be the case. If it were to be shown that this was happening
      consistently so that the genes that predisposed any particular
      behaviour were being gradually being removed from the gene pool then
      there is a word for that it is "evolution". Whoever could show this
      to be happening would be able to prove that mankind is still
      evolving.

      regards

      Peter
      --- In Evolutionary_Psychology@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Saunders"
      <tom@c...> wrote:
      > Hi Peter,
      >
      > Thank you for that perspective. "Evolutionary Psychology is about
      determining how genes influence
      > human behavior and about understanding how evolutionary processes
      came to mold our innate behavior in the way it has."