What is Evolutionary Psychology

  • peterdfisher2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2004
      There seems to be a lot of confusion on this forum about what EP
      actually is.

      Although it shares a history with Social Darwinism it is a very
      different animal. It has even less to do with eugenics. The
      description at the head of the forum is misleading.

      No reputable scientist thinks that the human race can
      be "improved". How would we ever define "improved"? Nor is there
      any genetic evidence that the white (or as the Nazi's called
      it "Aryan") race is in any way superior to any other - that idea
      went out in the middle of the last century. Didn't anyone notice!
      Nor should it be associated with psuedoscientific historical
      claptrap like that about the survival of Christs bloodline.

      Evolutionary Psychology is about determining how genes influence
      human behaviour and about understanding how evolutionary processes
      came to mould our innate behaviour in the way it has.

      I have found it deeply disturbing, and hard to believe, that any one
      would think that an important new science like this would have the
      least thing to do with scurrilous, outdated concepts like white
      supremacy and anti-semitism.

      Those who genuinely want to know more about EP should read Steven
      Pinker's books. ("The Blank Slate" would be a good choice) in order
      to understand the history and principles of EP.

      Peter Fisher