Suggested Readings

  • CKrafcik
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2002
      I would like to suggest the following books:

      The Origin of Species
      Charles R. Darwin Greg Suriano

      The famous classic on evolution that revolutionized the course of
      science. Darwin's theory that species derive from other species by a
      gradual evolutionary process and that the average age level of each
      species is heightened by the "survival of the fittest" stirred
      popular debate of his time to a fever pitch. "Next to the Bible, no
      work has been quite as influential."--Ashley Montagu.

      The Naked Ape: A Zoologist's Study of the Human Animal
      Desmond Morris

      "A startling view of man, stripped of the facade we try so hard to
      hide behind." In view of man's awesome creativity and
      resourcefulness, we may be inclined to regard him as descended from
      the angels, yet, in his brilliant study, Desmond Morris reminds us
      that man is relative to the apes—is in fact, the greatest primate of
      all. With knowledge gleaned from primate ethnology, zoologist Morris
      examines sex, child-rearing, exploratory habits, fighting, feeding,
      and much more to establish our surprising bonds to the animal
      kingdom and add substance to the discussion that has provoked
      controversy and debate the world over. Natural History Magazine
      praised The Naked Ape as "stimulating . . . thought-provoking . . .
      [Morris] has introduced some novel and challenging ideas and
      speculations." "He minces no words," said Harper's. "He lets off
      nothing in our basic relation to the animal kingdom to which we
      belong. . . He is always specific, startling, but logical."

      The Moral Animal: Why We Are the Way We Are: The New Science of
      Evolutionary Psychology
      Robert Wright Luann Walther (Editor

      Are men literally born to cheat? Does monogamy actually serve
      women's interests? These are among the questions that have made The
      Moral Animal one of the most provocative science books in recent
      years. Wright unveils the genetic strategies behind everything from
      our sexual preferences to our office politics--as well as their
      implications for our moral codes and public policies. Illustrations.

      The Selfish Gene
      Richard Dawkins Rochard Dawkins

      Richard Dawkins' brilliant reformulation of the theory of natural
      selection has the rare distinction of having provoked as much
      excitement and interest outside the scientific community as within
      it. His theories have helped change the whole nature of the study of
      social biology, and have forced thousands of readers to rethink
      their beliefs about life.

      In his internationally bestselling, now classic volume, The Selfish
      Gene, Dawkins explains how the selfish gene can also be a subtle
      gene. The world of the selfish gene revolves around savage
      competition, ruthless exploitation, and deceit, and yet, Dawkins
      argues, acts of apparent altruism do exist in nature. Bees, for
      example, will commit suicide when they sting to protect the hive,
      and birds will risk their lives to warn the flock of an approaching
      hawk.

      This revised edition of Dawkins' fascinating book contains two new
      chapters. One, entitled "Nice Guys Finish First," demonstrates how
      cooperation can evolve even in a basically selfish world. The other
      new chapter, entitled "The Long Reach of the Gene," which reflects
      the arguments presented in Dawkins' The Extended Phenotype,
      clarifies the startling view that genes may reach outside the bodies
      in which they dwell and manipulate other individuals and even the
      world at large. Containing a wealth of remarkable new insights into
      the biological world, the second edition once again drives home the
      fact that truth is stranger than fiction.