Why do human females have hymens ?

  • tweess
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26 5:34 AM
      Hello all !

      I am a new member. My name is Guillaume. I am researching this issue
      right now : Why do human females have hymens ?

      The hymen is the membrane that makes a girl a virgin : it is supposed
      to break during the first sexual intercourses in life.

      What is puzzling me is this : why would natural selection favor
      virginity ? How would this membrane give a female any adaptive
      benefits at all ?

      So, does anyone know about any literature giving an evolutionary
      explanation for this ? Plus, does anyone know if any other females in
      the animal world also have hymens ?

      replies are welcome from anyone.

      cheers :-)