The Power of One

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2005
      "The Power of One"  (Monadic Force Through the Du Channel)
      by
      Tom Saunders

      Introduction

      In the last ten years some of the most guarded ancient secrets have been exposed in books like the "Bubishi," which is a manual from the famous Shaolin Temple in China.. The Bubishi is about how the ideas concerning energy channels, called meridians, run through man, as part of heaven and earth.  Shoalin Monks were famous for their ability as warriors.  The following outlines their curriculum, preserved in a modern 'Ryu' (System) for using an ancient tool of contemplation, a monadology.

      Part Two, outlines this same tool with different elements, involving logic, and thought, in place of physical action.  It is based upon complex duality noted by Hermetics in ancient times, especially around the First Century.

      Today, the Chinese Military Academy uses as its main text, Sun Tzu's "The Art of War."  The epistemologies of Sun Tzu, and Pythagoreans, Hermetics, Thomasine Gnostics, and Kabbah students learn something like the below, in bits and peices. Sun Tzu, Lau Zi, Hermes, and Pythagoras, can be put in a 'channel,' which will explain the true morphology of dualism, and duelism in ancient times when both East and West knew the "Way."

      The Monadic Model: Part I.

      The following explains the flow of energy in the concept of the Tai Chi, as a Monadology, using what is called in Taoist philosophy as the 'Du Channel.' The Du Channel is one of eight different channels that have been identified by Taoists, Buddhists, and martial artists, using systems like the I Ching. These channels, called meridians, are known in Oriental philosophy as well as Chinese medicine, such as Accupuncture.  In the Vedic system, channels are called, 'nadi.'

      The Du Channel can be seen as a center for the balance and harmony in the distribution of energy.  Like the model in the I Ching, the Du Channel is an example of the flow of energy known as the Heaven Sequence.  This denotes a sequence of perfection or order that can be easily understood.  This use can be extended to any craft....but this is how it works in martial arts.

      Wu Chi, meaning limitless power, is thought to permeate all things, and Wu Chi generates Tai Chi, and Tai Chi generates the flow of Chi (concentration of energy) through the rest of the units in the paradigm.  This is how monadic force or the power of 'one' is seen to work.

      The following is how this order works, similar to a modern "flow chart," showing how everything begins with one, or in Hellenistic study, with the monad which means one.  This model is similar to how Pythagorean philosophy uses monadic models as in the "Table of the Ten Numbers."  The Du Channel and I Ching use eight essential elements, while the Pythagoreans use ten. You, by contemplation learn to become part of the model, and one with the flow of the monadic force.

      This model starts with Wu Chi, as the catalyst for monadic force that permeates all things. The point of learning the monadic method of organizing things is to give them order. Wu Chi is signified by an empty circle.  However, this circle like the Taoist symbol 'Enso' signifies a circular flow of energy, the top signifying South or the negative pole of the circle.

      The model has five basic parts, Wu Chi, Tai Chi, Liang Yi, Si Jiang, and Pakua, (Ba Gua), known as the essential elements.  The following shows how Isshin Ryu Karate can be aligned with this paradigm, as is the ancient Chinese martial art known as "Form-Mind" boxing.  See Xing Yi Quan Xue, by Lung, Unique Publications, 2000)

      The Du Channel and the alignment of Isshin Ryu Karate

      1. Wu Chi, the void or empty circle.
      2. Tai Chi, The union of Yin and Yang, or in Isshin Ryu, the bond between Shorin Ryu, and Goju Ryu. It represents the union of the two primary katas (forms) of the Ryu, San Chin, and Naihanchi.
      3. Liang Yi, the separation of Yang I, and Yin I, into separate units of understanding. This is recognizing the sameness of the Tai Chi, as one, and recognizing the differences between the two units in union. This points out the primary two opposing forces, which in martial arts is the difference and sameness of the two primary aspects of grappling and boxing skills.
      4. Si Jiang, is the separation of the Liang Yi into four separate units, which corresponds to Greater and Lesser Yin and Yang.  In Isshin Ryu the Si Jiang can be seen as the four basic units of fighting known in all ancient Chinese fighting forms.   In other words it can be shown how the essential eight waza, can be channeled into the four basic skills, or visa versa, of Chinese martial skills, kicking, 'Ti,' punching 'Da,' wrestling, 'Shuai,' and 'Qin Na,' balance and joint control.
      5. Pakua (Ba Gua), are what are known in the study of the I Ching, as trigrams.  They are a binary system used to symbolize essential elements, both seen and unseen in the paradigm.
      The eight Pakua, can be a number of things brought to the model.  This makes eight, the base model for assembling the Du Channel model for showing the basic elements of the 'Ryu.'

      Isshin Ryu, meaning 'One Heart Method,' has eight basic katas.  Seisan, Seiuchin, Naihanchi, Wansu, Chinto, Sanchin, Kusanku, and Sunsu. Katas are pre-set and memorized, sequenced moves that serve as models for the application of karate techniques. They are living libraries for the use of blocks, punches, grabs, joint locks, kicks, throws, and other basic fundamentals of karate application. Kata has many aspects related to the 'uru' or hidden parts of karate study. Kata are considered part of the essential elements of a 'Ryu.' (particular system, or style)

      Early written works known to have been given to students by the founder of Isshin Ryu, Tatsuo Shimabuku, show an alignment with the eight precepts of karate known as the "Kenpo Gokui." This is a famous and ancient poem known to warriors of the Shoalin Temple.  The 'Kenpo Gokui' represents eight precepts used also as Pukua, or essential elements.

      The 'Kenpo Gokui' meaning mastered fighting secrets, are eight precepts used as Pakua

      1. A person's heart is the same as heaven and earth. 2. The blood circulating is the same as the moon and sun. 3. The manner of drinking and spitting is either hard or soft. 4. A person's unbalance is the same as a weight. 5. The body should be able to change motion at any time. 6. The time to strike is when the opportunity presents itself. 7. The eye must see every way. 8. The ear must hear in all directions.

      There is also a model aligned with the "Eight Fold Path," a version written by Sensei Harry Smith, is extant.  However, versions of this vary, but it adds 8 more essential elements. Isshin Ryu can be shown to have forty, the I Ching has sixty-four.

      Specific to all martial physical movement are the eight essential elements of fighting tactics (Hei Ho), and the eight essential elements of the 'Uru' or unseen. These are directly related. The following Pakua, should be the first or primary set of eight uints around the Yin-Yang symbol, to be listed as the first eight essential elements.  This is an extension of the Si Jiang, from four to eight.

      Eight Essential Skills: (Waza, meaning technique) These are basic skills known as 'Kihon,' and one Ryu, may do these things unique to the particular established way of the Ryu. Isshin Ryu, Shorin Ryu, and Goju Ryu, all do these skills slightly different, which makes them common to that system. No matter what a person's skill level is, these are the things primary in any fight.

      1. Punching and striking
      2. Kicks
      3. Grabs, bites, fishooking
      4. Throws and takedowns
      5. Joint locks, strangles
      6. Blocks
      7, Counters
      8.Ground Fighting

      The Eight Essential Skills developed as 'Second Nature' or "Gokui," mastered secrets, sometimes referred to as 'uru.'{unseen or secret} These essential skills can only be known by experts. They apply to all the skills above.

      1. Chinkuchi, refers to the torque of the technique, muscle and joint snap and control.
      2. Fesa, refers to the speed of the technique, and path of least resistance.
      3. Attifa, refers to the skill to send the shock of a technique all the way through the opponent's body.
      4. Muchimi, refers to moving in a sticky, but smooth way when fighting, the comparison is to the agility of the willow tree. It is a unique trait hard to put into words, it is best learned by experience from those who have the skill.
      5. Kakei, refers to the ability to touch and feel out an opponent, for strengths and weakness. It implies literally touching or testing an opponent.
      6. Ma, Maai, Maai describes the space that exists between you and your opponent. Ma refers to the movement within that distance to strike. "Ma involves advancing and retreating, meeting and departing."
      7. Mu Shin, refers to the ability to 'empty' the mind in readiness of action. (See also honshin,true mind, and ushin, the be-mind or false mind)
      8. Kamae, refers to becoming composed and ready for action. This means applying the operant space between you and the opponent with your skill directed at the monadic point from the circle of knowledge you develop in training.

      The Pakua can be extended to what Lau Tzu, author of the Tao Te Ching, says, to the "Ten Thousand Things,'' which means infinity.  As one must realize, all the essential elements can be used and focused together.  Just 'descend' into the model going from the primary eight twenty or forty Pakua listed and focus all these elements into "One."   "All things begin with One.''  (Tatsuo Shimabuku)

      A person trained in these essential elements has the knowledge to organize himself so that these skills are in balance and harmony, ready to use in an instant. Recognizing the skills in one's self lets you realize the extent of these skills in another.

      The model goes from the empty Wu Chi, to Tai Chi, the primary union of the two which causes the force between, Yin and Yang. Then the flow goes to the primary separation of the two, the Liang Yi, which is Ying I, and Yin I.  Si Xiang, is the four elements separated from Liang Yi, the Tai Yang, Shao Yin, Shao Yang, and Tai Yin. Then come the essential elements which can extend to many sets.  All the elements are bound together by the power of One, or the Monad, and you.

      Part II

      Secret Unions (Gates in the Du Channel)

      In Monadologies and Gnosis, 'Union,' is a special study in how correspondence is perceived in the context of how dualities work between levels in monadic models.  A monadic model is a way to sequence a lot of information into a mental 'storehouse.'  Unions, occur between levels of attainment, and can even be seen with common things that happen in life.  Here is how they work in a monadic model.  (See "The Power of One," by Saunders; which shows the Isshin Ryu system in a monadic model.)

      Unions occur between levels of attainment (enlightenment).  "The Apocalypse of Paul" denotes these levels as stages or heavens. "Then I gazed upward and saw the Spirit saying to me, "Paul, come! Proceed toward me!". Then as I went, the gate opened, and I went up to the fifth heaven.....Then we went up to the sixth heaven. And I saw my fellow apostles going with me, and the Holy Spirit was leading me before them."

      Gates or in the Vedic system, 'bindu' are applied to the levels, one through ten, (8 or 10. or more or less), and denote several things.  The point of learning the monadic flow between levels has several advantages, one of which is that this system enables you to refer instantly to a massive amount of applicable information.  Monadic models differ, and so does what is attributed to them, like colors, elements, seasons, etc.  This is because the model itself denotes many things. (They are secret, and sagacious on purpose)

      Unions denote correspondence.   Union as seen in the Yin, and Yang model is a well known symbol of duality.  Except that you need to understand the entire denotation is far from simplistic.  Any duality, like male and female, has unseen complexity that means the symbol or paradigm you are using, like Yin and Yang, has an extended morphology.

      This is the reason the Du Channel model or the Tai Chi is useful in explaining the correspondence between levels of the Tai Chi, the I Ching model does not illustrate.  The Du Channel model puts the paradigm in a sequence like a flow chart. It explains how the flow of things occurs through the channels, as I will explain...

      The model starts with an empty circle. This is called Wu Chi.  This stands for limitless power, and what is known as the void.  The next symbol in the model is the Tai Chi, well known as the Yin-Yang symbol.  This stands for unity of the Wu Chi, and the dual nature of man.

      Nest is the symbol Liang Yi, which denotes the separation of Yin and Yang, known as ''Greater Yin and Yang." The symbols are a solid line, for Yang-I, and a broken line for Yin-I. The next symbol is called Si Xiang and denotes the breakdown of Liang Yi, to four units, known as "Lesser Yin and Yang."  There is the Tai Yang, (two solid lines), Shao Yin, (broken line on top, and solid line on the bottom), Shao-Yang, ( solid line on top, and broken line on the bottom), and Tai Yin, (two broken lines)

      These four elements are broken down in the model into eight elements, called Pakua, which are represented as trigrams which can easily be seen as extensions from the Si Xiang.  They stand for the essential elements of the "union.''

      The Gnostic models of monadic flow, are not as clear as the Taoist Du Channel model. There are ten levels or more in the Gnostic systems, which are very likely related to the concept of the monadic model known by Pythagoreans. (Table of the Ten Numbers)  The 'gate theory' is mentioned in several of the Sethian works, as with the "Apocalypse of Paul,"  and others.

      As I have shown with the model in the previously related essay, "The Power of One," a whole 'craft' or kingdom can be contained in this model.  The Gnostic works relate this as the Taoists, man as a part of heaven and earth.  This is known as the 'San Ti' in regard to the Oriental model, in the Christian Gnostic model it is called a trilogy, trinity, or triad.

      This is where the transcendence Paul is talking about starts, as man is part of heaven and earth, one with the Holy Spirit, and virtually 'in' the trilogy, in Gnostic terms being the center between the effects of the "Tree of Life" and "Tree of Knowledge" channels.  Tree connotes channel. The Thomasine Gnostic can put himself in the balance and harmony between the channels.

      As I have shown, you can channel all the energy of a craft, like fighting into physical action. This holds true for all the monadic models.  A fight is a 'union.'   Speaking the 'word' is a union, and 'sex' is a union.  Each union type has its gate or 'bindu.'  The structure of the monadic model lets us organize the "Pakua" (essential elements) for the proper focus of the issue in the gate.

      A good trained karate fighter can use any of the 'waza' Pakua, or essential elements of punching, kicking, throwing, etc., at the gate, and use them with deadly force, in a fight with another.  In the meantime all the library of techniques is stored neatly in the monadic model in what the Gnostics call the 'storehouse.'  The 'gate' out of the storehouse, can be totally visualized for use in contemplation and meditation.

      In other words a karate fighter never needs an actual opponent if he knows how to contemplate the possible actions ('Union') at the gate, all of which are 'glossarized' or catalogued and stacked neatly in the 'storehouse' for instant use. Philosophically, or actually, any move imaged or realized in a fight becomes familiar, to the expert, using this model.

      I described the 'flow chart' idea, the monadic flow with Isshin Ryu karate, in "The Power of One."  The same model can be used for the 'union' of vocal interaction, using the Principles known in Hermetic philosophy, and described in the "Kybalion."  ( A spurious source academically but useful. It may refer to the seven principles mentioned in the ''Discourse of the 8th and 9th.")

      I am going to modify the "Seven Secret Principles" to eight units to match the 8 trigram (Pakua), model of the Tai Chi. I can justify this in two ways.  One, is that the Principle of Karma, is Cause and Effect.  If I separate these two, cause from effect, I have eight units.  "Discourse of the 8th and 9th' puts the number of elements from the 'secret seven,' to 9 levels of attainment.  (See also "Ascelpius.")

      I will use the following, the Principles of Mentalism, Correspondence, Vibration, Polarity, Rhythm, Karma, (cause and effect), Gender, and Balance and Harmony, the end goal of the Gnostic channel. These eight elements are to be used as the Pakua. ( pronounced 'Ba Gua')

      The Hermetic model uses the symbology of "I" and "Me" in the place of Yin, and Yang.  The concept of the void or Wu Chi, is very synonymous with the concept of the Pleroma, as it is used in the Gnostic Texts.  This monadic model is for the union of the Hermetic Pakua.

      1. Using the Du Channel model of the Tai Chi, we can symbolize the empty space, or the "All" with nothing in it.

      2. Then, we can formulate the Tai Chi level, where Yin and Yang are "I" and "Me." This is the psychic level where man contemplates within the context of his own psyche. He does not interact with others at this level only himself.

      3. The next level is the Liang Yi, where the nature of man separates the union of I and Me, or Yin and Yang.  This corresponds to "Greater Yin and Yang" in the I Ching model.

      4. The next level, is Si Xiang, which is represented by four broken and unbroken line symbols, but represent the breakdown of the Liang Yi, into four parts.  This is "Lesser Yin and Yang," and where I, and Me, separate into I, Me, and You, and Us. In the order of the Si Xiang it goes, I (Tai Yang), Me (Shoa Yin), You (Shao Yang), and Us (Tai Yin).

      5. The next level are the eight Pakua, I have already mentioned, starting with Mentalism.  I have chosen to use an additional union, that corresponds to the 'Secret Seven" which is now the "Eight," with the eight precepts mentioned in "The Power Of One" the "Kempo Gokui."  My research shows that these precepts denote the same concepts, and add to the clarity of the meaning of all.  (See also the Kybalion)

      1.The Principle of Mentalism: "The 'All' is mind, the Universe is mental. All that is apparent to our natural senses, gives us knowledge. " Energy, power and matter are subordinate to the Mastery of the Mind.   The eye must see every way. See what is unseeable.

      2.The Principle of Correspondence: "As above, so below; as below, so above." "Studying the Monad he understands the Archangel. (Opponent} The laws of correspondence enable one to reason intelligently from the known to the unknown.  Heremes was thought to have said, The lips of wisdom are closed except to Understanding" The ear must hear in all directions. Expect what is unexpected.

      3.The Principle of Vibration: "Nothing rests, everything moves; everything vibrates. This principle embodies the notion that nothing rests, everything is always in motion. Our blood circulation parallels the solar and lunar cycles of each day.  The circulatory rhythm of the body is similar to the sun and moon, and the effect of circadian forces on our selves.

      4.The Principle of Polarity: Everything is dual; everything has poles; everything has its pair of opposites; like and unlike are all the same; opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes meet; all truths are but half-truths; all paradoxes may be reconciled. Duality is explained as different degrees of the same thing. Distancing and posture dictates the outcome of the meeting. The time to strike {act} is when the opportunity presents itself.

      5.The Principle of Rhythm: Everything flows, out and in; everything has its tides; all things rise and fall; the pendulum swing manifests in everything; the measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left; rhythm compensates. Both Good and Evil are in this paradigm of the pendulum swing.  A person's unbalance is the same as a weight. Act in accordance with time and change.

      6.The Principle of Cause and Effect: Every cause has its effect; every effect has its cause; everything happens according to law, this is called karma. Chance is but a name for law, or consequence not recognized; there are many planes of causation, but nothing escapes the law. Inhaling represents softness while exhaling characterizes hardness. The Law includes hardness and softness.

      7.The Principle of Gender: Gender is in everything; everything has its masculine and feminine principle; Gender manifests on all planes. This postulates the idea that gender, especially the feminine, or negative pole in duality is actually the pole where new forms of energy are manifested. Response must result without conscious thought. Techniques, {actions} will occur when a void is found.

      8. The Principle of Balance and Harmony.  The human mind is one with heaven and earth. The mind is the same with heaven and earth. I am the mind that has become one of correspondence, vibration, polarity, rhythm, cause and effect, I am one with the production within gender, and the master of my own balance and harmony. I can put all my principles to use at once. I am the Ogdoad, the level of the 8th.  (Remember this 8th level is added due to the suggested levels, extending the seven principles, in "Discourse of the 8th and 9th.")

      Let's review.  Remember "I" and "Me?"  You are not them anymore if you learned enough going through, reading and comprehending, the above system of gates.  The Isshin Ryu model of the paradigm has forty Pakua, this model has eight. It may take time and practice to use.  Pakua, are governed by infinity or as Lau Tzu says, "The Ten Thousand Things." Somebody will figure out another set of 8, and probably more, to add to the primary essential elements of this union.

      If you stand in front of an accomplished Karate or Judo fighter, as a novice, you will quickly learn how large and effective a 'storehouse' can be.  That union is a fight.  The union above, can work exactly as fast as the walk through the gate (fight) into the eight deadly waza. (Waza are the first Pakua in the Isshin Ryu model)  The Hermetic principles are, or can be shown to correspond the primary Pakua, of "Logic."

      At level four, we can integrate the idea of the quadrangle, cross. or quadratic form.  Here is where ancient wisdom can be applied, like the "Square of Opposition" which used by a Gnostic, becomes an Ogdoad or more..... This extends the linear perspective of the usual explanation of the device, which is a tool that measures logic.  The orthodox explanation for the "Square of Opposition" relates one use.

      Here is the model which shows the logic of the forms 'S' and "T." A. is in the upper left hand corner of the quadrangle. The flow moves clockwise around the lines of the square, there is an X drawn from corner to corner.  A. All (S-T) are logical, B. None(S-T) are logical, C. Some of (S) is logical to (T), Some of (T) is logical to (S).  A person of "Knowledge" can extend this morphology to a greater extent.

      The Gnostic who knows how unions in a monadic model works, extends the morphology of the literal or narrow explanation of the use of the tool of logic. One can learn to use the tongue like a sword, or weapon with precision, and have dependable faith in the tool.

      There is also a system in fighting that lets you use the quadrangle of the imaginary or hypothetical square between the shoulders, and the hips. Like the 'Square of Opposition,' picture it on a person's chest.  This is known to some as the 'primary square of balance,' and can be imagined working like a 'Square of Opposition" on someone's chest.   It is related to a fighting theory known as the 'Theory of the Cones.'  All bodily movement can be aligned to this quadrangle to guage balance, and the internal systems of the body can also be seen as linked to it.

      Four is considered in the Pythagorean system as the major primary or perfect form.  The four primary units of Linguistics are the Phonetic, syntactic, semantic, and pragmatic elements....

      That covers fighting and verbal exchange, which are major or "genus" type of unions.  I mentioned "sex."  I will let the reader further his study of unions and monadic force on his or her own.

      Further Reading: References:  (If its above, its below, all are connected to the 'All')

      The Nag Hammadi Library, Robinson, Harper, 1988. (Contains the Sethian and Hermetic works mentioned above.)
      Ten Great Works of Philosophy, Wolfe , Signet, 2002
      Early Christian Mystics, McGinn/McGinn, Crossroads, 2003
      The Jesus Sutras, Palmer, Ballantine, 2001
      Hidden Wisdom, Smoley/Kinney, Penguin, 1999
      The Bible of Karate, Bubishi, McCarthy, Tutle, 1995
      The Gospel of Mary Magdala, King, Polebridge, 2003
      The Gospel of Philip, Leloup, Inner Traditions, 2003
      The Gospel of Thomas, and Christian Wisdom, Davies, Bardic, 2005
      Early Greek Philosophy, Barnes, Penguin, 2000.
      The Way of Qigong, Cohen, Ballantine, 1997
      Tai Chi Classics, Liao, Shambhla, 1997
      The Kybalion, Three Initiates, The Book Tree, 2004
      The History of Magic and the Occult, Saliggmann, Gramercy, 1997
      The Twenty Guiding Principles of Karate, Funakoshi, Kodnasha, 2003
      Tao Te Ching, Lau Tzu, Feng/English,Vintage, 1972
      Secret Tactics, Tabata, Tuttle, 2005
      Xing Yi Quan Xue, Tang, Unique Publications, 2000 (Model of the Du Channel)
      Kabalah, Parfitt, Rider, 2001
      Hara, Durckheim, Inner Traditions, 2000  (Explains the concept of balance and harmony)
      Gnostic Secrets of the Naassenes, Gaffney, Inner Traditions, 2004