Contemplating a New List

  • Ron Patterson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2005
      Hi folks. I am thinking about starting a new discussion group to
      discuss evolutionary psychology, human nature, human behavior, and
      related subjects. We would discuss recent books we have read on these
      subjects such as Steven Pinker's "The Blank Slate", Steven
      LeBlanc's "Constant Battles: The Myth of the Peaceful, Noble
      Savage", Timothy Wilson's "Strangers to Ourselves : Discovering the
      Adaptive Unconscious" and any books on these and related subjects.
      Evolution, especially the evolution of the human animal would also be
      a favorite subject.

      This would be a public, but moderated list. I have checked many
      unmoderated lists and found them to be full junk posters and spam.
      For instance the Evolutionary Psychology list is now being ruined by
      a poster who just post junk posts, one after another. Such posts
      would not be allowed and such violators of the rules would be banned
      on the list I am proposing. But all posts relating to the subjects of
      the list would be permitted.

      The Evolutionary Psychology Forum is a great list but has been
      getting very little traffic lately. There are at least two dozen
      other Yahoo lists that deal with the subject but few, if any, of them
      seem to have any traffic. A group, to be successful must be promoted,
      which is what I am doing now. And the list must be protected from
      spam and people who would love to destroy the list. That is why any
      good list must be moderated.

      This would however be an amateur list, though professionals would be
      welcome.

      This is just a feeler, I have not started such a list and will do so
      only if I think there would be enough members to provide at least
      five to ten posts per day.

      Let me know what you think and I will go from there. Post me at:
      ReadYourDarwin@... that is (at Yahoo.com) if you think you
      might be interested.

      Ron Patterson
    • Martin Sewell
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2005
        At 14:49 03/05/2005 +0000, Ron Patterson wrote:
        >Hi folks. I am thinking about starting a new discussion group to
        >discuss evolutionary psychology, human nature, human behavior, and
        >related subjects. We would discuss recent books we have read on these
        >subjects such as Steven Pinker's "The Blank Slate", Steven
        >LeBlanc's "Constant Battles: The Myth of the Peaceful, Noble
        >Savage", Timothy Wilson's "Strangers to Ourselves : Discovering the
        >Adaptive Unconscious" and any books on these and related subjects.
        >Evolution, especially the evolution of the human animal would also be
        >a favorite subject.

        Fortunately, the quality list you desire already exists!

        See:

        Regards

        Martin