176FW: group selection query

  • Pratarelli, Marc E
    Apr 11 5:27 PM

      From: Pratarelli, Marc E
      Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 6:10 PM
      To: evolutionary_psychology@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: group selection query

      Might anyone want to help settle a debate we're having in one of my courses regarding the viability of that old notion of group selection?  The question we're trying to settle is whether recent reports of a shifting demographic in republicans versus democratics--because the former statistically produce larger families and the latter tend toward smaller ones, is evidence of group selection?  Its relevant to the thread that addressed whether religion (or its precursors) naturally selects for itself.

      Marc E. Pratarelli, Ph.D., IRB Chair
      Professor of Psychology
      Cognitive Neuroscience Lab
      Department of Psychology