C. Aubrey Smith and EW playing cricket!

  • Robert M Da Vis
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2013
      Wish I'd seen this while writing "Mischief in the Sun."

      You have to scroll down a bit. Cheers a gloomy day wherever you are. Bob

    • Robert M Da Vis
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2013
        You three are more likely to be right, though I don't know if or when Alec spent much time in LA. Anyway, a marvelous photo. And this may be Yank prejudice, but I find it difficult to regard anything that can be played in hats like that a real sport!  Best, Bob

        P.S. Clearly Mary is a jewel of great price, but we knew that already. B

        Sent from my iPad

        On Aug 26, 2013, at 3:37 PM, "Don and Mary Gallagher" <dga63608@...> wrote:

        The wicket keeper’s mouth seems a dead giveaway. And the hat! It must be Alec – I think.

        And my wife thinks the same. (EM Forster can hate me all he likes.)

        Don

        dga63608@...

        21 Hammond Street

        Mysterton QLD 4812

        07 47799074

        I pretty sure that the picture shows Alec, not Evelyn - don't you think?

        On 26 Aug 2013, at 22:39, Robert M Da Vis wrote:

        Wish I'd seen this while writing "Mischief in the Sun."

        You have to scroll down a bit. Cheers a gloomy day wherever you are. Bob

      • Jeremy Clarke
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26, 2013
          No one could wish that was a previously unknown photo of EW more than me. Only it ain't him.
          Big it up. Surely that isn't the face of our man?
          Jeremy C

          On 26 Aug 2013, at 22:39, Robert M Da Vis <robertmurraydavis@...> wrote:

          Wish I'd seen this while writing "Mischief in the Sun."

          You have to scroll down a bit. Cheers a gloomy day wherever you are. Bob

        • Jeffrey Manley
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
            Alec definitely stayed in LA on his way back from the South Pacific in the 1930s.  He met a couple either on one of the islands or a ship and became rather enamored of the wife so he stopped off for a visit and I think he may have gone back for additional visits.  John Wilson may have more details about that.  jeff

            CC: alexanderwaugh@...; jwilson3@...; Evelyn_Waugh@yahoogroups.com
            To: dga63608@...

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
              Well, I was close, but no cigar.  Alec came back thru San Francisco, not LA and that was in the late 1920s, not 1930s.  That was in the days when SF was still the primary port.  The girl friend ("Ruth") and her husband ("Govie") lived in Monterey.  They met again 6 months later back in Tahiti and continued to meet in California.  On at least one of those later trips Alec arrived in LA on the way to Monterey but doesn't make much comment.  This is all from The Early Years of Alec Waugh.   However, it seems likely that he would have become acquainted with the British colony in Hollywood on these visits.  jeff

              To: evelyn_waugh@yahoogroups.com
              From: manleyjm@...
              Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 05:40:56 -0400

              To: dga63608@...

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
                Definitely Alec. As Jeff says, he was in California in the mid/late 1920s. But I think this picture is later, probably mid/late 1940s, when Alec was in his late forties, after the war (Alec served throughout).

                C. Aubrey Smith (1863-1948) seems to have gone to Hollywood about 1931 and to have founded the Hollywood Cricket Club in 1932. He looks in his early eighties here.

                Evelyn described Alec as "indefatigably nomadic." In their correspondence in the early 1960s, Alec writes from Bagdad, Singapore, Tangier, etc. He lived mostly in the USA by then, in New York, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, so LA would not have been difficult.