Fw: Google Alert - Evelyn Waugh

  • Robert Davis
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2013
      Perhaps it will play in the US.
      News1 new result for Evelyn Waugh

      Why the Jazz Age still has us in its sway
      Telegraph.co.uk
      Why should the age of Noël Coward, Tallulah Bankhead and Evelyn Waugh's Vile Bodies possess a resonance that other epochs struggle to acquire?

      Tip: Use quotes ("like this") around a set of words in your query to match them exactly. Learn more.

      Delete this alert.
      Create another alert.
      Manage your alerts.

    • Robert Davis
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 29, 2014
        Search the first entry for at least two real howlers. Bob

        On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 2:01 PM, Google Alerts <googlealerts-noreply@...> wrote:

        Google
        Evelyn Waugh
        Daily update October 29, 2014
        NEWS
        The New Republic
        Here's How To Understand the Crippling Sadness That Overtook Evelyn Waugh
        At the very core of the English national character, the secret worm of despair gnaws constantly. This heartsickness may be disguised by rosy cheeks ...
        Google Plus Facebook Twitter Flag as irrelevant
        Unknown Evelyn Waugh Letters for Sale at Bonhams
        Three previously unknown hand written letters from Evelyn Waugh to his friend Eleanor Watts, the girlfriend of the man who ran off with the novelist's ...
        Google Plus Facebook Twitter Flag as irrelevant
        Edit this alert
        You have received this email because you have subscribed to Google Alerts.
        RSS Receive this alert as RSS feed
        Send Feedback

      • Antony F. P. Vickery
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2014
          Okay, if I were to deny that I'm too proud to admit my ignorance, I would lie. What are the howlers?

          Best, Tony

          Antony F. P. Vickery

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2014
            I was beaten too on my search for howlers. Has he spelt Waugh's name wrong? Best, Jeremy Clarke

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2014
              1. W began writing BR in 1940.
              2. (Will have to go back and look.)
              3. Jeff Manley pointed out a 3rd, about W taking his degree.

              Sent from my iPad

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2014
                Re-read the piece and, with Jeff Manley's help, found 2 more.
                1. W began writing BR in 1940.
                2. VB less successful commercially than DF (W and I agree that it was less successful artistically).
                3. W took a poor degree. In fact, he took no degree.
                4. W died at 63. A few months short, in fact.

                Implies that W's military service was "dishonorable." Highly questionble.

                Sent from my iPad

                On 2014-10-29 6:23 PM, Robert Davis robertmurraydavis@... [Evelyn_Waugh] wrote:

[...]

              • Alvino-Mario Fantini
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2014
                  Don't know how accurate this is, but I thought I'd bring the re-publication of this 1995 piece to the attention of those on this listserv ...

                  http://www.newrepublic.com/article/120006/crabby-and-evelyn-assessment-evelyn-waughs-life-and-work

                • Robert Davis
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 12, 2014
                    From a cursory examination of a few entries, more useful than one might suppose. Bob

                    On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:01 PM, Google Alerts <googlealerts-noreply@...> wrote:

                    Google
                    Evelyn Waugh
                    Daily update November 12, 2014
                    WEB
                    Book:Evelyn Waugh
                    This is a Wikipedia book, a collection of Wikipedia articles that can be easily saved, rendered electronically, and ordered as a printed book.

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 7 3:32 PM
                      In case you missed this. Bob

                      On Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:00 PM, Google Alerts <googlealerts-noreply@...> wrote:

                      Google
                      Evelyn Waugh
                      Daily update May 7, 2015
                      NEWS
                      The Independent
                      Evelyn! Rhapsody For An Obsessive Love by Duncan McLaren, book review
                      Early in his 1927 book on the Pre-Raphaelite painter, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Evelyn Waugh complains of a new fashion in biography in which ...
                      Google Plus Facebook Twitter Flag as irrelevant
                      See more results | Edit this alert
                      You have received this email because you have subscribed to Google Alerts.
                      RSS Receive this alert as RSS feed
                      Send Feedback

                    • Jeffrey Manley
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 8 6:33 AM
                        Thanks, Bob.  I had already posted a link to that with the announcement about Duncan's book.  jeff

                        To: dga63608@...; alexanderwaugh@...; evelyn_waugh@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 13 3:36 PM

                          On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:12 PM, Google Alerts <googlealerts-noreply@...> wrote:

                          Anybody who thinks that HD is effervescent should be debarred from saying anything else about EW, ever.

                          Google
                          Evelyn Waugh
                          Daily update May 13, 2015
                          NEWS
                          Wall Street Journal
                          Joseph Kanon Chooses Evelyn Waugh for the WSJ Book Club
                          Joseph Kanon, author of the best-selling thrillers “The Good German” and “Leaving Berlin,” is an unabashed admirer of Evelyn Waugh. But even he ...