RE: [Evelyn_Waugh] graham greene and EW

  • Jeffrey Manley
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
      There's also a review from 1941 of two biographies of GK Chesterton in Greene's collected essays.  While he didn't much like the biographies, he clearly makes a case for the importance of Chesterton's work, citing several specific books he expected to survive.  His position on Chesterton's religious writings sounds much the same as that expressed later by Waugh in his US lectures (so far as one can piece it together).  But I don't find anything about Belloc in Greene's collection.  jeff

      To: evelyn_waugh@yahoogroups.com
      From: manleyjm@...
      Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:32:00 -0500
      Subject: RE: [Evelyn_Waugh] graham greene and EW

      Thanks, Bob.  I found a copy of Greene's review of the Knox bio in a Penguin edition of his collected essays. This was mentioned in the letter you cited.   I had never read it.  jeff

      To: Evelyn_Waugh@yahoogroups.com
      From: robertmurraydavis@...
      Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:56:36 -0800

      GG didn't care for Knox, as EW realized in a letter to GG about the Knox biography. Don't know about Belloc, though I suspect that GG might have found him a bit blustery and hearty. RMD

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
        Re GKC, see also GG's essay on Oliver Twist. I think it's called "Young Dickens."

        --
        Seth C. Holler, Ph.D. candidate