graham greene and EW

  • jeffreymanley123
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
      Here's an excerpt from the Spectator's review of a memoir of Graham Greene by a friend of his who met him in Haiti (Bernard Diederich):

      'In an especially poignant scene, Greene is described as immersed in The Letters of Evelyn Waugh (edited by Mark Amory) while alone in a Panama City hotel. Among Catholic writers, perhaps only Waugh won Greene's unstinting admiration and love; his death in 1966 was devastating to Greene."

      EW clearly reciprocated Greene's admiration and included Greene among the three Catholic writers he lectured about on his 1949 US tour (the other two were Ronald Knox and GK Chesterton). I wonder what Greene may have written about those two (and Hilaire Belloc as well)? jeff
    • Robert Davis
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
        GG didn't care for Knox, as EW realized in a letter to GG about the Knox biography. Don't know about Belloc, though I suspect that GG might have found him a bit blustery and hearty. RMD

        Here's an excerpt from the Spectator's review of a memoir of Graham Greene by a friend of his who met him in Haiti (Bernard Diederich):

        'In an especially poignant scene, Greene is described as immersed in The Letters of Evelyn Waugh (edited by Mark Amory) while alone in a Panama City hotel. Among Catholic writers, perhaps only Waugh won Greene's unstinting admiration and love; his death in 1966 was devastating to Greene."

        EW clearly reciprocated Greene's admiration and included Greene among the three Catholic writers he lectured about on his 1949 US tour (the other two were Ronald Knox and GK Chesterton). I wonder what Greene may have written about those two (and Hilaire Belloc as well)? jeff

      • Jeffrey Manley
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2012
          Thanks, Bob.  I found a copy of Greene's review of the Knox bio in a Penguin edition of his collected essays. This was mentioned in the letter you cited.   I had never read it.  jeff

          To: Evelyn_Waugh@yahoogroups.com
          From: robertmurraydavis@...
          Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:56:36 -0800
          Subject: Re: [Evelyn_Waugh] graham greene and EW

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
            There's also a review from 1941 of two biographies of GK Chesterton in Greene's collected essays.  While he didn't much like the biographies, he clearly makes a case for the importance of Chesterton's work, citing several specific books he expected to survive.  His position on Chesterton's religious writings sounds much the same as that expressed later by Waugh in his US lectures (so far as one can piece it together).  But I don't find anything about Belloc in Greene's collection.  jeff

            To: evelyn_waugh@yahoogroups.com
            From: manleyjm@...
            Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:32:00 -0500

            To: Evelyn_Waugh@yahoogroups.com
            From: robertmurraydavis@...
            Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:56:36 -0800

[...]

          • Seth Holler
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
              Re GKC, see also GG's essay on Oliver Twist. I think it's called "Young Dickens."

              --
              Seth C. Holler, Ph.D. candidate