Brideshead Revisited small edition

  • adanishcatholic
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2012
      I am the owner of a Penguin edition from 1982 of Briedshead Revisited (measuring 18 x 11 cm). I wonder if there is an even smaller edition which I could use on travels. A lot of searching (amazon, abebooks, etc.) has not given a usable result. Any ideas?
    • Mark DeLucas
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2012
        I don't think there's a true pocket edition. One's best bet might be to buy a frayed, used paperback that one wouldn't mind scrunching, bending, packing into tight spaces, etc.

        Mark

        On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 6:11 AM, adanishcatholic <clausen.helge@...> wrote:

        I am the owner of a Penguin edition from 1982 of Briedshead Revisited (measuring 18 x 11 cm). I wonder if there is an even smaller edition which I could use on travels. A lot of searching (amazon, abebooks, etc.) has not given a usable result. Any ideas?

      • Jeffrey Manley
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2012
          There were Modern Library editions of the earlier novels with soft cloth covers (I have one of Vile Bodies) which are great for traveling but I couldn't see any on the internet for Brideshead. I don't think it ever was issued as an Oxford World Library which are the best travel size. The US Dell paperbacks are not appreciably smaller that the old Penguins which sounds like what you have.  jeff

          To: Evelyn_Waugh@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2012
            If you bought an e-reader like a Kindle or Nook, you could load the complete works of Mr. Waugh on it, as well as anything else you'd care to read, and the entire reader would be smaller and possibly lighter than your Penguin edition. I believe the smaller e-readers are something like 4 inches by 6 inches, and maybe a quarter of an inch thick.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 8, 2012

              The first time I ever read BRIDESHEAD, it was in a small pulp trade edition that I found in a rented summer home.  It was tiny (“it” being the edition, but also the summer home), but the glued spine dried and broke and the pages yellowed and fell out.  I suspect not many have survived of that edition!

              Deborah Core

              Professor of English

              Assistant Dean, College of Arts and Sciences

              Roark 105

              Eastern Kentucky University

              Richmond, KY 40475

              Text messages: 859-358-3442

              I am the owner of a Penguin edition from 1982 of Briedshead Revisited (measuring 18 x 11 cm). I wonder if there is an even smaller edition which I could use on travels. A lot of searching (amazon, abebooks, etc.) has not given a usable result. Any ideas?

            • Relee54
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 8, 2012
                Do what I did. Get the Jeremy Irons audiobook version of Brideshead revisited and load it on your iPod. Makes for great listening when you travel.