pegotty

  • jeffreymanley123
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2012
      In a letter to his wife from Baltimore in November 1948 Waugh says he played a game of pegotty with a pubescent Negro nun. I can't find that game of Google because of all the referecnes to the character in David Copperfield. Does anyone happen to know what kind of game he is talking about? jeff
    • Antony F. P. Vickery
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2012
        The OED provides:

        A children's board game in which four players in turn place pegs in holes, the object being to complete a row of five pegs.
        Pegity is registered in the U.S. as a proprietary name.

        1925 Official Gaz. (U.S. Patent Office) 31 Mar. 996/2 Parker Bros... Pegity. Game of the Type of ‘Go-Bang’. Played with Pegs, for Adults and Children. 1929 Games & Toys July 66/1 Pegity..is one of the most interesting board games ever devised. 1950 Oxf. Jun. Encycl. IX. 73/1 Peggotty, a very simple modern game on the Noughts and Crosses principle, is played by four players who take it in turn to stick coloured wooden pegs into holes in the board, the winner being the first to get five pegs in a row. 1958 M. Stewart Nine Coaches Waiting iv. 45, I brought you a game..called Peggitty. 1974 P. Dickinson Poison Oracle ii. 60 Tribesmen..played their stone-age version of peggoty in noisy groups.

        Antony F. P. Vickery

        Lansdale, PA
        USA

        On 1/7/2012 2:14 PM, jeffreymanley123 wrote:

        In a letter to his wife from Baltimore in November 1948 Waugh says he played a game of pegotty with a pubescent Negro nun. I can't find that game of Google because of all the referecnes to the character in David Copperfield. Does anyone happen to know what kind of game he is talking about? jeff

      • Jeffrey Manley
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2012
          Thanks, Tony.  Waugh misspelled it probably confusing it with the Dickens character although some of the OED examples are similar to his variation.  Waugh wasn't a great speller. jeff

          To: Evelyn_Waugh@yahoogroups.com